AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2005, 06:18 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

oh dear, 3000+

hi ppl,
sorry if this is abit long, but i wanted to give abit of backround.

For many months, ever since i built my pc up i have been going in ever-decreasing circles trying to get it to run without crashing on high end applications like games and test programs.
I posted in the crashed forum afew months ago about my problem and the general view was my system was getting too hot. So i installed case fans, gpu fan and tidied cable to increase airflow and thought the problem had been solved until i ran DooM3 at which point it !CRASHED! .

Last week i had access to another pc, specs as follows-
Gigabyte mobo
xp2200+
256mb ram
rage64 graphics card
10 gig Hdd
200 watt psu.

I swapped all the components about piece by piece and ran test as i went (prime95-sandra-doom3) all my components ran fine on the other mobo, so now i know that my graphics card and ram dont have any problems.
but whatever i ran on my board with my xp3000+ crashed. so i swapped cpu's over. with the xp2200+ on my board with my components it ran like a dream, 10hrs stable with prime,no probs on sandra's burn in wizard and sat up all night and completed doom3

So now i am faced with another question of sorts.
my xp3000 seamed to work fine on other mobo, ran prime stable for a good few hrs.
my opinion is this:
i think i need a new psu, the one i have at present is a q-tec 300watt, although it says 300w max output on the side sticker, on the top of the psu it says its only 160w through the main mobo power connector. this psu came with a £25 case so it cant be that great. if i splash out on a new psu will that give me the extra power i need to run my 3000+.
dispite searching the net for answers i couldnt find out how much less power a 2200 draws than a 3000.
bearing in mind i have 2 hdd's, 2 cd drives and three case fans on my pc.
could a lack of power be my problem?

any help would be gratefully recieved.
thanx.
Old 17th May, 2005, 06:37 PM
AOA Staff

Those q-tec PSU's are a constant source of problems, give it the tin tack!

It probably consumes 300w of power and only puts out 160w. Cheap PSU's waste far more power than a good quality one will.

You could get an Enermax Noisetaker 370W for about £40 inc. VAT, for example. Quite a bargain for a very good PSU.
Old 17th May, 2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

have you tried checking the temps on your processor?

also, personally i dont buy into this idea of buying a decent brand PSU ebay sells 500w cheap ones for less than £20, they may not output 500w (actually, no high power psu does) but it will be enough
Old 17th May, 2005, 07:27 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

my processor runs at 37c/98f, which i thought was ok.
the fan i have on cpu can cool up 2 a 3200+.

in reguards to the psu. i must say i have to agree with danrok.
surely you get wot you pay for and £40 int that much for a good psu.

have u used 1 of the cheap ebay psu's calgar? any good?
Old 17th May, 2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

yes, im using one now, acrylic cased too, although, i think it was only a 400w one, i dont remember really

i have had it powering 4 hard drives and a cd drive before, and my athlon xp 1800 (now down to a dvd rw dl drive, a dvd rom drive, a hard drive, and another hard drive in a hot swap caddy and about 7 fans, not including the one in my mouse)
Old 17th May, 2005, 07:35 PM

well they deffently sound like they have enough power to do the job.
although i would like to buy a good 1 money is a key factor at the mo, so many i'll have a look at ebay.
Old 18th May, 2005, 12:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
have you tried checking the temps on your processor?

also, personally i dont buy into this idea of buying a decent brand PSU ebay sells 500w cheap ones for less than £20, they may not output 500w (actually, no high power psu does) but it will be enough

I beg to differ, good sir. You might have a gander at the Turbo-Cool 510 Express @ http://www.pcpowercooling.com . Wattage to spare, one could say.
Old 18th May, 2005, 12:33 AM
AOA Staff

A cheap PSU is like a game of Russian Roulette!

When they blow they are likely to take-out the mobo or worse, along with the waranty.

No way am I going to hook-up a £300 graphics card and £100 mobo to a £15 PSU. Call me paranoid, but I've got all my kit hooked up to a 1KVA uninterruptable power supply.
Old 18th May, 2005, 01:12 AM
Steve Jobs

Quality is far more important that quantity. Back when people were initially haveing concerns about the 8RDA series boards and the power they need, (if you search the Epox forum, you will find in the early days of the 8RDA, generic 300W PSUs were the norm, and people were complaining about it. Despite all these people saying they needed 400W PSUs for their 8RDAs, ET claimed that he had run modern high end boards off 250W PSUs of good quality and build.) I must say, after running many machines (including an Athlon 64) on 300 and 250W PSUs (my winchester ran on an Enermax SFF 250W with a TI4600 in it) I can say for certain, a top brand 350W will do a far better job than a generic 500W off ebay.

If you get that 500W, then yea, it will have power to spare, but so will a 350W. The 500W however will probably have a large voltage swing, poor regulation, poor quality cables, flimsy molex connectors with LOOSE PINS AND HOLES (crap PSUs have molex holes and pins that move too much, and dont line up when you plug them in, so at times you have to wiggle the plug for 10 mins to get it in.)

The Enermax, will provide more than adequate power for your system, with a smooth, regulated supply, good quality (and sheathed) cables, with well terminated Molex's. On top of that, the heat output will be far less than a poorly made 500W

I cant stress this more really. People have had poorly made PSUs with defective Molex connector wires that slip out of their molex plugs and go to ground on the chasis, and even worse, the video card. Thats just bad design, but I have seen so many of the things with loose wires and cheap cable.

You get what you pay for.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2005, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
poor quality cables, flimsy molex connectors with LOOSE PINS AND HOLES (crap PSUs have molex holes and pins that move too much, and dont line up when you plug them in, so at times you have to wiggle the plug for 10 mins to get it in.)
well, the one i got off ebay tends to have molex connectors that are too tight, and you have to wiggle them for ages to get them out!

meh whatever, i guess its just luck whith ebay
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:33 PM

well, ive got to save up my hard earned pennys for afew weeks before i can afford a new psu. so that will give me abit of time to do my homework.
i'll post my shortlist when i have it. then u guys can steer me in the right direction, if u dont mind.

thanx
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:39 PM

I agree with dsio here, you are far better off with a medium power well-built PSU than a high-powered junker. There are decent brands out there that don't cost an arm and a aleg -Turbo Cool PSUs are just overpriced IMO. Enermax and Antec are always good bets, and I personally have had excellent PSUs from a company called Fortron. Sparkle also has a good reputation but I can't recommend them as whenever I see the name I think sparks everywhere - silly name for a PSU.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2005, 04:24 PM
AOA Staff

I have an Antec and a Zalman PSU, both are rated around the 400w mark which leaves me with plenty to spare.
Old 18th May, 2005, 05:05 PM

I also have to agree. PSUs have been a major problem with me. I've bought 5 high quality well-known brand PSUs, and have had 3 cheap ones come with cases that were all rated 450W or higher.

I still have the 5 quality ones going strong, and all 3 of the cheap ones came DOA or died soon after.

Believe it or not, I have had great luck with my Rosewill power supply.
Old 19th May, 2005, 12:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, PC Power & Cooling's PSU's are overpriced. I really liked the Enermax 465 I had, its important rails were right on, and they simply didn't waver at all. This is most unusual! Unfortunately it couldn't handle the demand from a 3 Ghz LGA-775 proc. I'm glad that the Enermax didn't fail spectacularly! It simply couldn't pump the power that the Power Hog Intel LGA-775's need.

It rather bites that Intel didn't mention, AFAIK, that the Prescott CPU's require ATX2.03 EPS12V PS's. To be fair, I'm sure that some non-EPS12V power supply's work fine--but my Enermax didn't.

It just seems sneaky and underhanded that Intel introduced the necessity for a more expensive new Form Factor freakin' PS that's rated for dual-CPU Server m'board-- just to run one CPU--on a board with a plain old i865 chipset. I may have it wrong, perhaps Intel trumpeted this what to the consumer is an involuntary hardware upgrade from every rooftop.

I've had five PC Power & Cooling power supplies over the years, none of them let me down. AFAIK, no other PS manufacturer's quality quite measures up. Turbo-Cools used to be loud, no kidding. The 510 Express SLI is amazingly quiet. The PC P&C Silencer 400 in the B Box is louder, you could never take the "Silencer" name anywhere near seriously in the past. Maybe the latest one's are actually quiet.
Old 21st May, 2005, 02:33 AM

Logan - good to hear that the Rosewill is working for you, I have been looking REALLY hard at one, primarily because of the price. It seems everything I upgrade I have to do in pairs now, as my wife is just as picky about her PC stuff as I am lol.

AOA Team fah