AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

athlon xp 1800 hot

this has befuddled me,

after installing the folding client and leaving it on for several hours, and remembering reading topics on here about overheating procs, i decided to check my proc temp, it was 57deg C, now, my proc isnt over clocked either,and im pritty sure it shouldnt be this hot.

help?!
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:48 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

when i started folding(only an hour ago) my cpu temp went up from 37c to 50c. i think its just one of those things.
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

yeah, i know procs get hotten when their under load, but last time i checked the maximum critical temperature for a proc was 60C

im only like 4 deg away from it!
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:51 PM

Try taking the side off of your case. Does the temperature decrease? If it does, you need to improve your case cooling. If not, consider a different fan / heatsink combo with some Arctic Silver 5 on the cpu.
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

umm, i have one fan at the side of my case, a quite big artic cooling heatsink and fan on my proc, a dual fan psu, two 80mm exaust fans at the back a big ass take up its own slot cooler on my g force 4 card and another exaust cooler in a slot.

its odd if you ask me, the only problem is ATM i dont have any intake fans apart from the one at the side.......

edit: btw, does anyone know a program to monitor proc temps that doesnt need to know the exact make and model of your mobo>
Old 18th May, 2005, 04:01 PM

Try putting an intake fan at the front of your case if you can, should make a major difference. If you haven't already, do some cable management too to make sure the air is flowing nicely through your case without any obstructions.
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2005, 09:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Or, just don't worry about it unless the machine starts behaving oddly...
Old 19th May, 2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Or, just don't worry about it unless the machine starts behaving oddly...

you mean like large clouds of smoke coming out of my computer? ok
Old 19th May, 2005, 05:15 PM

This works well http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Old 19th May, 2005, 06:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

That's a very interesting Web page, thank you bossa.
Old 19th May, 2005, 11:52 PM
Steve Jobs

Like Aedan suggested, you are quite safe at those temps. AMD cpus are safe up to 100C or so before any damage is done. If you have a look here http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/AMD...ification.html

It not only explains how AMD CPU steppings and model strings work, but also what the maximum operating temperature of your CPU is.

If you have a V series Athlon XP (the rare one of the two) then your max operating temp is 85C. If you have the more common T series, then its 90C maximum

Also check here for Athlon 64 info http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/AMD...ification.html

Now, you are at the very least 30C away from your max operating temperature, so dont worry. AMD under states as well, so it will take more than that by far. In fact it takes close to 240C to do serious damage in a short period of time. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Be thankfull, if you had a prescott, it would be doing 76C, but once again, safely.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 20th May, 2005, 04:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
umm, i have one fan at the side of my case, a quite big artic cooling heatsink and fan on my proc, a dual fan psu, two 80mm exaust fans at the back a big ass take up its own slot cooler on my g force 4 card and another exaust cooler in a slot.

its odd if you ask me, the only problem is ATM i dont have any intake fans apart from the one at the side.......

edit: btw, does anyone know a program to monitor proc temps that doesnt need to know the exact make and model of your mobo>
Maybe you 'd better switch 1 fan/cooler from the back to the front to push in some more air.
You should create a slight overpressure in the case and you 're sucking air out at 200% while pushing it in at 50% ...

I 'm running an OC'ed Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ running at FULL LOAD (Folding@Home at 100%) at a 46-47 °C with thecase closed.
I have one 120mm intake fan, one 120 mm outtake fan and a dual fanned PSU.
Case temp is 28-29 °C. [Cooler: a brandnew ZALMAN CNPS 7000B-Cu]

A program that monitors all PC 's I used it on is 'Everest Home Edition' (Lavalys) / it 's not really a sole monitor but it reveals almost anything about your box without having to open it ! (Computer/Sensors)

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 20th May, 2005, 05:03 PM

Wink Extra Note:

Cooler will always be more stable !

Your CPU and board will live longer !

Are you sure your Cooler is mounted the right way around on that SocketA mobo ?

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 20th May, 2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorman
Maybe you 'd better switch 1 fan/cooler from the back to the front to push in some more air.
You should create a slight overpressure in the case and you 're sucking air out at 200% while pushing it in at 50% ...

I 'm running an OC'ed Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ running at FULL LOAD (Folding@Home at 100%) at a 46-47 °C with thecase closed.
I have one 120mm intake fan, one 120 mm outtake fan and a dual fanned PSU.
Case temp is 28-29 °C. [Cooler: a brandnew ZALMAN CNPS 7000B-Cu]

A program that monitors all PC 's I used it on is 'Everest Home Edition' (Lavalys) / it 's not really a sole monitor but it reveals almost anything about your box without having to open it ! (Computer/Sensors)
i would switch a fan to the front, but for some reason my case is really awkward to do that

i will probabally end up sealing up some weirdly placed air vents at the back of my case and buying a delta for the front of my case. but untill then i probabally will just leave it be