AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2005, 10:56 PM

Unhappy Big graphics problem

Seems like i've *******ed up completely...
This is the story.. Stupid as i am i thought my graphics card needed some tweaking, so i oc'd the core and the memory by 20mhz each. I had no problems with it at all for a whole day. I played graphics intense games like HL2 for several hours without any problems or signs of overheating at all, this is why i am confused here... I shut down the computer for the night thinking everything was fine... but the next morning it just wouldn't boot. It wont even get past POST, all i get is a long and two short beeps, indicating graphics adapter problem... But it would be very strange if i had burnt any circuits on the graphics board, since it worked as long as the computer was turned on. I have tried with another graphics card, and then the computer boots. Is this problem fixable or do i have to buy a new graphics card ? (expensive)
Please help...
Specs:
Mainboard: ASUS A8n SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon64 3500+
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 3200 512MB
PSU: Hiper Type-R 480W
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256MB
Old 29th May, 2005, 11:24 PM
Member/Contributer

I think it's highly unlikely that the overclocking did the damage, running at a clock speed above spec just doesn't cause physical damage like that, perhaps if you had increased the voltages but not the clock speed. It also wouldn't account for why it worked until it was shut down.

I think it's just a coincidence and something else has happened, probably the pci-e connector coming loose or something.
I'd open up the case, check all power leads are connected, and reset the cmos to be sure, it's likely there is no damage to the hardware, if anything is faulty it's probably the psu

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2005, 11:39 PM

Hmm

This is what's strange... I have removed the card and replaced it with another card.. then everything worked... i put my card back in, and the same problem occured... So im pretty shure it's not only a connection problem. It shouldn't be the PSU either since the other card worked... I have also reset the CMOS with no luck... This is giving me a real headache. The only thing i did was turning up the clock speeds.
Old 29th May, 2005, 11:54 PM

Also worth saying is that i put my card into my friend's computer. We got exactly the same problem there... Nothing showing on the screen, and the error at POST... So this is a problem with the graphics card.
Old 30th May, 2005, 12:42 AM

Sounds like whatever program youused to tweak your graphics card altered a setting in the cards bios or memory register. If you can, try booting the machine with a PCI video card and see if you canundo those OC settings that way.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2005, 01:08 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't think thats possible, it would have to go through a flash procedure which you would notice as it takes a while and I know of no software that just does that in windows.

I still highly doubt it was due to the overclocking, more likely it's died during the shutdown or p[ower up cycle, so if it's still under guarantee get it swapped

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th July, 2005, 09:11 PM

Doesn't overclocking void most guarantees though? Even if it wasn't that that caused the fault?

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 19th July, 2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 19th July, 2005, 09:18 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard
Doesn't overclocking void most guarantees though? Even if it wasn't that that cause the fault?
Not always. If you haven't physically modified or abused the hardware then the guarantee should still be valid. Quite a few components are purposely designed to be overclockable.

Obviously it's always a good idea to check the exact situation, for any piece of hardware, first.
Old 21st July, 2005, 04:12 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Minor overclocking shouldn't void your warranty, it only comes into play if you have damaged your card in the process of a high overclock.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home