AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th May, 2005, 12:32 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Unhappy pc crashes again!+ update

hello ppl,
I'm still having trouble with my pc crashing .
ive posted a couple of threads on the problem before.

In the 1st one it was suggested it might be a cooling problem, so i installed 2 case fans and a gpu fan, tidied cables to increase airflow-but no joy.
this is the thread- graphics card hell!!!

In the 2nd thread it was suggested it might be a power problem, so i bought and installed a new psu(enermax noisetaker 370w)- but no joy again.
this is the thread- oh dear, 3000+

in both the above links i explain the problems, so i wont go into it again.

as i explained in the 2nd thread i tried a xp2200+ on my system and it ran no problem.

at the moment i cant even run folding@home in the backround cos it causes it to crash.

um almost at the end of my tether can anyone suggest anything else that might be the problem cos um getting close to a breakdown

thanx if you can

ajopz

the pic below is of my usdm screen with all my components in it.
dont know if it will help but i thought i'd add it on.
Attached Thumbnails
pc crashes again!-usdm.jpg  

Last edited by ajopz; 30th May, 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2005, 04:06 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

!UPDATE!
i was just playing around with my system and ive seamed to solve my own problem in a way.
as standard my 3000+ runs at 166x13.0=2167mhz

ive just changed the fsb to 133, so now its running at 133x13.0=1733mhz.
this has solved the problem of it crashing all the time.
evrything runs stable now and have no problems running prime or folding.

does anyone know why it will run stable on 133fsb, but when it goes up to 166fsb which a 3000+should run at stock it is unstable and crashes in test programs.
its baffled me!

i'm glad that it works but abit p'd off cos i paid for a xp3000+ and um only getting the power of a 2200+.
at the moment my fsb jumper is set to the position for 133/166/200fsb

anyone know wot might be causing this?
Old 30th May, 2005, 04:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Your CPU (and all of your other components) ran fine in another board, but it won't run at 166MHz in your board, right?

Sounds like something is messed up on the MoBo. Check your BIOS and make sure that the RAM/FSB ratio it set up to run syncronusly or 1/1 or 3/3 or 6/6 or whatever they have. Also check for "Spread Spectrum" and turn it off.

Have you checked the Northbridge for proper cooling and made sure that it had thermal grease between it and the cooler?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2005, 05:09 PM

ok, checked the bios and both the fsb and the agp spread spectrum are disabled.
how do i check the ram/fsb ratios are set syncronusly? couldnt see an option for that anywhere in the bios.
Old 30th May, 2005, 08:16 PM
Member/Contributer

Go to Advanced chipset features, go to memory frequency and set it to 100%

Old 30th May, 2005, 08:34 PM

no joy, set mem freq to 100% and put fsb back to 166mhz.
it lasted about 30 seconds on prime, then hardware error came up.
ive sent an e-mail to epox tech uk explaining the problem.
if it is the board what is their policy on this sort of thing?
Old 31st May, 2005, 12:52 AM
Member/Contributer

1 year replacement warrenty I think. Maybe 3 years, I'm not sure. How old is the board?

Old 31st May, 2005, 01:09 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Have you checked the Northbridge for proper cooling and made sure that it had thermal grease between it and the cooler?

Does your northbridge have a fan on it?!?!?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 02:31 PM

No, my northbridge doesnt have a fan. it has the heatsink that came on the board when i bought it.
i checked and it has thermal compound on it and it doesnt seem to be getting to hot.
Old 31st May, 2005, 02:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
No, my northbridge doesnt have a fan. it has the heatsink that came on the board when i bought it.
i checked and it has thermal compound on it and it doesnt seem to be getting to hot.
Can you set your system to 166 and aim a fan at it? (I could be reaching here)
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 02:46 PM

Just checked my e-mail and ive got a reponse from epox support, it reads as follows-

Dear Sir,

Can you please verify that :-

The CPU cooler used is AMD approved or supplied as PIB part and is mounted with good thermal integrity to the CPU die.

The chassis has airflow in accordance with AMD's own system build guidelines and specifications for AMD Athlon XP based systems as can be found at their website.

The memory that you are using matches directly with modules seen at http://www.nvidia.com/content/nForce...patibility.asp and is running at 166MHz also.

EPoX UK FAE

My cooler is amd approved and mounted properly with good integrity to cpu die and with decent thermal compound.

My airflow around the case is also good and in accordance with amd.

But, my memory modules are not on the list in the link they supplied.

Are they trying to say my memory is the problem, because i know they are both in excellent working condition.

if this is the case surely, why was it not in the mother board instruction guide. ive spent alot of money on the memory and i'll be well pissed if they say thats the reason it ant workin. cos i think thats BS

any insight would be appreciated.

thanx
Old 31st May, 2005, 02:47 PM

tired that 1 b4 robbie, that was one of my 1st ideas, used a big 10 inch desktopfan, but it dint make any difference.
Old 31st May, 2005, 02:56 PM

I had loads of problems with an Asus board a while back, sent it to and from the place I bought it. Turned out that was a memory problem - the memory itself was fine and the right spec for the system, but it wasn't on their approved memory chart. Bought some GEIL stuff instead and straight away, problem solved. Don't ask me why this is an issue, but for these manufacturers to list 'approved memory' as part of the specifications... has to be for a reason.
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2005, 03:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Double check that list again for your memory. Note: Crucial memory will be under the name of Micron (crucials parent company) just check the part numbers.

One way to check for memory problems is to remove 1 stick at a time and check it in 2 diferent slots.

Old 31st May, 2005, 04:16 PM

well, i nearly had a fit when i saw crucial wasnt on the list.
cheers staz for the parent name.
my exact type of memory is on the list. so um relieved about that.
ive already checked momery in different slots and on a different mobo and they are fine. i'll e-mail epox back and see wot they say.
Old 31st May, 2005, 04:41 PM

um stumped, all of my components are working 100% and they are all fully compatable with my board. do u think this is a problem with the board itself?
do many mobo maufacturers send out faulty boards?
because this problem has been about since ive had it.

in reply to staz question, i bought the board between 11-12 months ago.
Old 31st May, 2005, 04:42 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Download a copy of memtest86+ and run it against your system. If you get any errors, repeat the tests to see if the errors stay in the same place or appear to be random.

That will help rule out the memory.
Old 31st May, 2005, 04:53 PM

already tried that, but thanx.
it ran with 0 errors in different slots and on different mobo.
as far as i can tell every component is 100%, the only question mark is my mobo.
Old 1st June, 2005, 06:18 PM

well, while i was waiting for another reply from epox, i thought i'd play around with the fsb to see how much above 133Mhz i could go b4 it crashes. this is wot i got-

(fsb) (multi) (MHz) (result) (lenth ot time b4 crash)
---------------------------------------------------------------
166 / 13.0 = 2167 - crashed - 1 min.
165 / 13.0 = 2145 - crashed - 3 min.
164 / 13.0 = 2132 - crashed - 3 min.
163 / 13.0 = 2120 - crashed - 6 min.
162 / 13.0 = 2106 - crashed - 10 min.
161 / 13.0 = 2093 - running! - still going strong!!!

so far its been running for about 2hrs on 161mhz and still holding out.
my memory frequency is set to auto, so its coming out at 161mhz aswell.
anyone know why it can run fine in 161 but totally rubbish in 166 which is wot it is spost to do?

would my memory be ok running at 161mhz?
If so i might just leave it like this, its not that much below what it should be and still over 2gig (just)
Old 1st June, 2005, 07:39 PM

oh, forgot 2 mention, i was testing it with prime95