AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th February, 2002, 04:47 PM

I bust my motherboard

Yep, I bust it, dont know how.
I tried evry single component in another motherboard and they work fine, even PSU and CPU. So it must be the mobo. Damn this is the 3rd Abit mobo to bust on me.
My next purchase is an MSI K7T266 PRO 2 U A. Just rolls off the tongue.
It was reviewed on [H]ardOCP and they loved it.
Should be a real cracker, gonna put 256meg of ddr ram in it. Unfortunately gonna have to keep using my trusty old duron 800 because I cant afford a new cpu. Oh well, should be able to see what kind of speed I can get out of it.
Just out of curiosity, how well does win2k like changing mobo without a reinstall??
Old 17th February, 2002, 05:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

My Abit VH6 burned too... A capacitor blew. I bought MSI K7T266 Pro2 R/U and I LOVE IT. I also had and have no money for a new cpu so I'm using my old duron 750MHz, clocked at 866. Can go to 931 too. Also I like Raid.... nice and fast. Btw, if you will put your HDDs on raid, and your HDD led will work, msg me

ps: the max core voltage that you can get is 1.7, but I'm sure there is some kind of fix avalable. I just didn't look yet

!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!

Last edited by Super; 17th February, 2002 at 05:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2002, 05:14 PM

Well I couldnt afford the raid version. Also I only have one HDD which is a Quantum Fireball LCT10 30gig. Its only a 4200rpm drive so I wouldnt need Raid on it anyway. I'm looking forward to a cool looking red PCB. Its gonna look sweet in my new case mod.
Old 17th February, 2002, 05:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Cool, post a pic when you're done!
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2002, 12:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrotechnic

Abit has a bad habbit of exploding capacitors, my abit kt7 had 2 leaky ones(which i replaced), and a abit ka7-100 at work that was in my work machine had about 15 explode at the same time. i dont know what all the hype about abit is, but i dont see why they are good. some people love em, and people like me are cursed to have any abit mobo they own explode on them..........
Old 19th February, 2002, 04:25 AM

Poor quality with the KT7 series is one of the reasons I've been skeptical to touch Abit products.
Old 19th February, 2002, 05:13 AM
Banned

I've also had an Abit capacitor (actually 2 of them) blow on a VA6, lost my webserver indefinitely cause of it...

I like their boards, but if this is a know issue, I'll just say that I'm glad to have non-abit boards now

Their tech support is barely good...
Old 19th February, 2002, 06:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrotechnic

their tech support is only good if you speak taiwanese, and the RMA department sucks big time. Their Slot 1 boards were alright, but they've been riding the slot 1 repuatation for along time......perhaps too long
Old 19th February, 2002, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

Man, thats scary. I hope I never have that happen to me. I JUST bought an Abit VH6T for my new Pentium III 1Ghz Flip Chip.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Old 20th February, 2002, 12:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I had a MOSFET blow on my Abit VA6, then the MOSFET got hot enough to unsolder itselft, then the magnetic field of the inductor coil next to it drew it in, then it welded itself to the inductor coil.

I was pushing a P3@1050 24/7 via folding at home at the time.

I now have the same P3 in an Abit VH6II, hope that board holds up for me. I didn't want to buy another Abit board, but it was the only s370 board I could find locally with an ISA slot.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2002, 02:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

ISA? 33.6k or 28.8 modem, or something equivelant, I presume? or maybe an old sound card? Not poking at ya, cuz I've been there, know what its like. lol. Some of those old ISA cards are hard to part with. I know cuz ive got an entire cardboard box filled with 'em.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA

Last edited by CeleryMan; 20th February, 2002 at 02:40 AM.
Old 22nd February, 2002, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

hehehe

What type of abit was it?? Ive had nothing but good luck with the Abit KT7-RAID that my duron 850 runs in--- (BTW im selling it and it will be in the classify section)

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah