AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2005, 11:09 AM

Question Siezes up - but only when left alone! - solution within!!

I'm back after a long time away - hello again

I recently built the system in my sig with the aim of being a reasonable gaming and multipurpose rig. Works very well and I will soon embark on the overclocking although I won't be going too far as (this time ) I put silence over extreme cooling.

Anyway, the problem is that whilst the machine is in active use, all is great. Can play Battlefield 2 (fantastic ) all day with CPU not going over 49C. However, leave it alone for a while and when I come back and wiggle the mouse I get the desktop back but that's it: The mouse cursor will move to command but nothing else (inc Ctrl-Alt-Del) will do anything. CPU fan has stopped and all is rather quiet! Only a forced power off and reboot will work.

Windows is set to turn off monitor after 20 mins but not hards drives and no standby. I've played in the BIOS trying different power regimes but with no success. I do not actually understand what is happening or how to stop it!
Abit AX8, AMD 64 3200+ Venice, 2X512MB KingMax PC3200 RAM, Gigabyte ATI X800XL 256MB + Cat 5.11, 2 X T7K250 160GB hard drives in RAID 0 + NEC 3540A, SB Audigy 2ZS, Enermax EG495AX Noisetaker PSU in Antec SLK3000B,
Viewsonic 171B-2 8ms 17" TFT.
Quiet: Chipset has passive heatsink, GPU has silent heat-engine, PSU almost silent. Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu blows over all mobo. Near silent exhaust fan and 2 case inlets.
Windows XP Pro SP2 streamlined.

Last edited by RV4; 20th December, 2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Title change - solution now found
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2005, 11:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Oh durn, it sounds like you may have one of those lonely machines that whine when you leave them. If you don't come back to reassure the petulant beast soon enough, it holds its breath, turns purple and goes non-functional.
Sorry, I can't think of a remedy atm.

If you send a Private Message to me or dod for a case badge, putting one on your case may make your box a bit more patient.
Old 29th June, 2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Oh durn, it sounds like you may have one of those lonely machines that whine when you leave them. If you don't come back to reassure the petulant beast soon enough, it holds its breath, turns purple and goes non-functional.

If you send a Private Message to me or dod for a case badge, putting one on your case may make your box a bit more patient.
]

LOL,

Actually, it is now getting worse and seizing at odd times. It's always fine under load (BF2 ) but in normal Windoze tasks it often flips out. No spyware etc. in it and Windoze install is fresh with latest drivers.

The hard disks seem real slow sometimes but are on latest NF4 drivers and report 65MB/sec.

Also sometimes get 65% CPU usage yet with Task Manager reporting 99% Idle - obviously impossible but that's what it says...

Overall, I'm confused but I'll play some more with it and hold my breath for a re-install if I can't find anything wrong....
Abit AX8, AMD 64 3200+ Venice, 2X512MB KingMax PC3200 RAM, Gigabyte ATI X800XL 256MB + Cat 5.11, 2 X T7K250 160GB hard drives in RAID 0 + NEC 3540A, SB Audigy 2ZS, Enermax EG495AX Noisetaker PSU in Antec SLK3000B,
Quiet: Chipset has passive heatsink, GPU has silent heat-engine, PSU almost silent. Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu blows over all mobo. Near silent exhaust fan and 2 case inlets.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th June, 2005, 04:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This may be a heat engendered problem. It gets warmer this time of year, perhaps your ultra-quiet cooling setup needs investigating?
Old 1st July, 2005, 05:58 PM

Check to be sure that all power saving features are off - specifically disable hibernation, and make sure that the system, hard disk and monitor are all set to remain on in the power settings. It honestly sounds like the system in dropping into standby mode and locking up when you try to wake it.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th July, 2005, 10:41 PM

Thanks for both the last 2 replies. I discounted heat because it will play BF2 for 2 hours straight without a hitch. I tried leaving everything off powerwise as well to no avail. In fact it got worse and slower and needed about 15 reboots in a day. Nowt wrong with the hardware so in the end I wondered about the windows install from an nLite slipstreamed and customised XP disk I'd made... So today I wiped the whole sorry lot and started again with a normal SP2 slipstreamed CD and then tweaked to suit. All is now running superbly. Don't know what was wrong but it's all real good now. It's giving 5,000 in 3DM 2005 with no overclocking and only a few mild tweaks in Windows and the hard disks seem to be very fast indeed. I'm happy now and off to play BF2. 'Night!
Old 5th July, 2005, 05:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well done, RV4! May it be many months before you'll need to wipe the HDD and start from scratch again!
Old 6th July, 2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Well done, RV4! May it be many months before you'll need to wipe the HDD and start from scratch again!
Here's hoping

Played BF2 for a while last night and I'm very impressed with the noise/performance ratio of this thing. Just a wee bit more noise under load as the Enermax fans speed up. Played on a full 64 player server and noticed odd bits of lag. Obviously important to get a real nearby server on the big maps...
Old 6th July, 2005, 01:52 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Give them time to fix the code, that should take care of the lagg. (err I hope)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 4th December, 2005, 08:57 PM

OK, 6 months since this thread and things have not been good - much crashing when doing stuff like surfing the web plus 'registry recovered ...' messages on start etc. I decided it was data corruption but with hard drives checking out (as well as memory and CPU) I was at a loss ...... until I happened upon this thread about people suffering data corruption with certain Maxtor hard drives and nforce 4 chipsets. In the thread some people with Hitachi drives like mine also had problems.

Also, last month I used a utility to activate the acoustic dampening on the hard drives as they were the loudest thing about the computer. Now when it does a disk write when, say, clicking on a link you sometimes hear it louder and more intense than ususal.

So, convinced that my hard drives don't like my mobo, I've just bout another mobo! Gone for an Abit AX8 so it's on a totally different (Via) chipset but in reviews it benchmarks about the same as an nforce 4 board.

I fit it tomorrow and will report back in a week or 2.

As an aside, I never got my RAID working on the Epox board. I am determined to on the Abit one so have bought a nice quiet Spinpoint 250GB drive for data and the 2 Hitachi's WILL be RAIDed this time
Old 5th December, 2005, 03:47 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Best of luck!!
Old 5th December, 2005, 04:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

It worked for me!!!
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 5th December, 2005, 04:25 AM
Member/Contributer

If its feeling left out install folding: then it knows its doing something usefull

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 17th December, 2005, 09:30 PM

I likely had this symptom before. That was back in 2001, when I built my first Athlon PC system! That was a T-bird 900 mhz and a Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard. That was because that motherboard came with a buggy BIOS that caused the Vcore to be too high! When the Vcore is higher than stock and not OC'ing, that can actually cause the symptom your getting!

I almost RMA'ed that motherboard and processor, because it was repeatedly locking up at idle. I didn't notice crashes when I was gaming!

Flashing the BIOS with a later revision was the cure. Or manually changing the Vcore value in the BIOS setup to "-0.025V". That was a Soyo BIOS bug.
Old 18th December, 2005, 02:53 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, RJARRRPCGP!

Oh, the Soyo m'boards I had. They all went TU. Decided not to cheap out any more, it helped!
Old 20th December, 2005, 01:52 PM

Well, I've had the Abit board in for a while now and ....

.... it's all perfect

3D Mark 2005 score at stock speeds (apart from mildly overclocked graphics) is identical at 5200 so nothing lost by changing from Nvidia to Via chipset.

Totally stable, no crashing or funny hard drive noises. It was deffo a data corruption problem with the NF4 chipset and my hard drives.

BTW, also RAIDed the hard drives for performance and I'm pleased as punch with the disk speeds now - couldn't get that working on the Epox board but was the work of seconds on this Abit one.

As a further aside the passively cooled Northbridge sits right under the Zalman 7700 and the PCIEx 16 slot is nearer to it as well so the Zalman cools everything well at minimum settings