AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th July, 2005, 07:19 PM

Angry new enermax 600watt psu wrong voltages

Installed this psu and wham, flopyy controller error chassis intruded, fatal erro system halted. HmI was looking at my mobo book and the book with the psu the voltages do not match, pins 1thru 10 all same then it goes funny, pin 11 mobo 3.3volts pin 11 psu RS+, pin12 mobo 3.3 volts pin12 psuoh dear I think this atx plug is not an normal atx. It is aatx 12v V2.01 /eps 12v and btx. Any answers??. I think the mobo is dead or dying.
Old 5th July, 2005, 07:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Sound like it's a 24pin ATX V2 unit and you've connected it to a 20pin board without a convertor. You need a 24->20pin convertor for the board, did the psu not have one bundled in the box?

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2005, 12:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to fatfreepork

check to see if the last 4 pins can be split off. then learn some grammar.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2005, 10:29 AM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

My bad, sorry guys

Last edited by ajopz; 6th July, 2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 6th July, 2005, 10:47 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Sound like it's a 24pin ATX V2 unit and you've connected it to a 20pin board without a convertor. You need a 24->20pin convertor for the board, did the psu not have one bundled in the box?
On a 24pin ATX connector, pins 1 to 10 and 13 through 22 match the 20pin ATX connector's pins. It's only the last four pins that do not mate with a 20pin ATX socket thare are new. That is with the exception of the -5V line (I think), which is no longer provided on the 24pin ATX connector.

Loosely translated, 24pin ATX connector is mostly compatible with 20pin ATX connector with the exception of -5v. The biggest issue is mechanical compatibility, where there may not be free space on the end of the 20pin socket to allow the extra four pins to dangle.

If you check out pins 1 to 10 on the 20pin ATX connector, they will match pin 1 to 10 on the 24pin ATX connector. If you check out pins 11 to 20 on the 20pin ATX connector, they will match pins 13 to 22 on the 24pin ATX connector. Remember how the pins are numbered, in two rows.

Was there a specific reason why you upgraded the PSU?
Old 6th July, 2005, 04:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

womble bought a new m'board and CPU and wanted a bigger PSU for them. A 24-pin to 20-pin adaptor came with my then new power supply. My newest mainboard is a 24-pinner, best believe I won't throw the 24 to 20-pin adaptor away!

Before I bought the expensive power supply I bought a 24-pin to 20-pin adaptor from a local retailer. It's backa**wards. If womble wants to buy a pin convertor, it would be wise to grill the etailer or retailer as to its maleness and femaleness first off.
Old 6th July, 2005, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to fatfreepork

some good psu's allow you to slide off the last 4 connectors, so it'll fit on anyboard
Old 15th July, 2005, 05:03 PM

Thank for the response, sorry I have been in hospital (small Heart attack), OK now. Last 4 pins are disconected, so not fitted wrong way, It may be that the board went faulty after psu was changed , I am putting pennies to buy a new mobo. Micro Direct do no even answer my emails when I sent them, I got the psu from them on the 30th of last month.
Old 15th July, 2005, 05:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Thewomble, sorry to hear your news. That's not a good thing to have to go through! How are you getting on with your recovery?
Old 15th July, 2005, 06:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewomble
sorry I have been in hospital (small Heart attack), OK now.
Dude, last I checked, NO heart attack was small. I'm distressed to hear that you have suffered this, and hope you are safely on the road to recovery.
Old 15th July, 2005, 08:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad you feeling well enough to return. I hope your recovery is as complete as it is rapid.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th July, 2005, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone , feeling better now. I have to keep the stress down.
Old 16th July, 2005, 07:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Then you do that! Have you checked your naval for lint of late? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th July, 2005, 12:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that the tussle with your power supply landed you in the hospital! I hope your recovery is complete. Do you have a friend or neighbor that can handle this obnoxious power supply issue while you attain satori?

Eesh, my first sentence isn't meant to be a dig, I'm sure much more serious matters caused your health problem.
Old 18th July, 2005, 11:01 AM

I checked the paperwork on the atx plug, my mistake, marked next to pin 11 is RS+. If you remove that reference it is pin for pin and voltage OK. I did not notice that there was 11 names and only 10 pins ,,,, DUH, I hopefully will have a new motherboard and will try it out soon. If it does not work then back to the drawing board. Thanks guys for all the help and get well wishes ..........