AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th July, 2005, 09:05 PM

Unhappy "Multiple IRP request" BSOD error when trying to run video files

Hello, this is my first post on this here forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem I've been having. There are some real experts on this forumand I'm sure they have the expertise to help me with this.

I have experienced some strange errors for some time now, although (this may be of some use) only since I got myself an Inno3D GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 AGP card (my previous one being a Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB).

They have occured both prior to and following a complete Windows XP SP2 reformat, although the BSOD's only began after the reformat.

Seemingly at random, when trying to run video files (using any of my media playing programs, WMP, DivX, Media Player Classic) the whole screen becomes massively blocky (looking like a resolution of 320x240) and only displays the upper left quarter of the desktop. Any open windows become translucent and have a duplicate image below and to the right by a few inches, the mouse lagging accordingly (I'll put up a screenshot as soon as possible). What is causing this? Occasionally performing an operation such as closing a window will revert the desktop to normal and normal running can resume.

I initially thought this was due to a codec conflict, between DivX and an XviD codec pack I have (where disabling the XviD codec packs ability to decode DivX files caused the error to occur every time browsed to a folder with videos in it) up until I tried putting the machine on standby to try and resume normal running (this worked prior to the reformat). This is when I recieved the BSOD error massage, which happens every time I try to do this. I have been told that although this message refers to driver problems that it is hardware related. Is this true? Perhaps a fault of overheating (the graphics card thermometer displays a temperature of roughly 63c)?

Any advice that could be offered to help solve this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I have little experience in this area of problems. Sorry if the information is vague, but I can garner any more if necessary. To help further, here is the basic hardware/software setup of my computer:

Athlon XP 3200+ at stock speed (2200MHz
MSI K7N2 nForce2 mobo (integrated sound, no on-board graphics)/w nForce driver verison 5.10
768Mb DDR RAM (512 PC3200, 256 PC2700)
Inno3D GeForce 6800GT 256Mb DDR3 AGP (Forceware 77.72)
Windows XP SP2

Thanks to anyone who would take the time to help me. Oh, and "Electric Wizard" refers to the group, not my ability with electronics.

[Edit]I have tried multiple Forceware versions to no avail.

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 19th July, 2005 at 11:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2005, 10:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Can you give us more of the text of the BSOD message, along with the STOP code?

It sounds like it is probably hardware related, but it COULD be due to your video driver not properly handling multiple Interrupt Request Packets at the same time. Knowing the entire BSOD message and STOP code (don't need the stack dump info) could help us.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2005, 11:12 PM

I'll post the requested information as soon as I get a chance (on another PC at the moment) as an edit to this post.
Old 20th July, 2005, 11:08 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard
up until I tried putting the machine on standby to try and resume normal running (this worked prior to the reformat).
You had suspend working on a desktop? Fairly impressive. Desktops normally activate Microsoft Coma™ v5.1 and don't resume properly.

What happens if you stick the old Radeon back into the system¹? Suspend to RAM and Suspend to disc are odd little beasts in that they need everything to support them² properly. It could be that the Forceware drivers don't much like suspend whereas the ATi Catalyst drivers can cope with it.

¹ Just remember to remove all traces of Forceware prior to shutting down the system and swapping the cards.

² Case in point is my laptop which does support suspend. When running the Netgear wireless network card suspend doesn't work. Microsoft Coma™ normally starts on resume - on the occasions when it doesn't, the system starts up, only without networking. At all.

In Linux, software is the glitch. When X is running, "suspend to disc" is better rewritten "crash to disc and destroy /swap".
Old 20th July, 2005, 11:31 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
What happens if you stick the old Radeon back into the system¹? Suspend to RAM and Suspend to disc are odd little beasts in that they need everything to support them² properly. It could be that the Forceware drivers don't much like suspend whereas the ATi Catalyst drivers can cope with it.
Forceware drivers (for both graphics and platform) support both suspend to RAM and suspend to disk. They both work as expected on my 8RDA6+Pro board and 6800GT card. You just have to have components that really meet ACPI, rather than pretending to.

As far as the problem with the machine goes, does it change if you swap graphics cards, or if you move the 6800GT card to a different system?
Old 26th July, 2005, 01:02 AM

Sorry for taking a long time to respond to your comments, I was away for some time for a friends wedding, which went swimmingly.

As it happens, uninstalling the XviD codec pack seems to have done the trick! This did not help prior to the reformat but since doing so the problem has all but vanished. Very odd. Thank you for the suggestions though, although I should have stated I no longer have my Radeon, sold it to pay for the GeForce.

Thanks again for your time
Old 26th July, 2005, 01:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Glad you were able to resolve your problem, and thanks for posting back.

BTW, have you thought about using your rig to fold?
Old 28th July, 2005, 12:57 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by fold, could you elaborate?