AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st July, 2005, 09:25 PM

DVD-ROM not working! Need help ASAP!!

guys, i just came back home after 6 months living in another country (my dad was using my computer during this time)

to my surprise, when i got here my CD-RW and my DVD-ROM drives had suddenly disappeared from windows! i unplugged and plugged back the ide cables and they came back...but the problem is that the DVDROM now doesnt work! it opens up, closes but doesnt read any cd, dvd or anything. i insert the disc, it starts spinning in the dvd and the mouse starts thinking as if the disc were being read. then everything stops and the drive reads no disc. it says insert disc if you try to open it..and to make things worse, the two drives keep on disappearing and appearing on windows i dont know why. when they disappear i have to restart the computer several times until they actually light up in the boot.

ive tried reinstalling the windows drivers for the drives but doesnt help any. i cant find new drivers in the internet cuz the only one i find is kinda currupted, the file i open has loads of questionmarks instead of text, dunno how to explain. ive also checked for viruses and i have non...so im really lost

i need these drives urgently because i have some very important files stored in dvd which i need to use now!

thanks!
Old 21st July, 2005, 10:43 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

My best guess would be a a faulty IDE cable... Try a different IDE cable, maybe??

Or Try Enabling/Disabling DMA, this might solve the problem...

Or Maybe the lens has become dirty... use CD-Drive Cleaner

Im out of ideas
Old 21st July, 2005, 11:05 PM

what is DMA and how do i enable/disable it??

cd-drive cleaner is that cd u buy in any hardware store thats supposed to clean the drive right?

ok i'll try that...
Old 22nd July, 2005, 12:07 AM

dma settings are in your bios,sound like bad ide cable or mobo socket. Have you went into device manager to check drivers also have you went to mfg site for firmware updates. With window dropping out drives really makes me think cable assuming both drive on same cable as master and slave. If windows drops the drives cleaning lens will not help, that will help if can not read disk. Some mfg have self diagnostics for there drives as plextor does.
2x512mb ballistix pc4000 at 250mhz(2.5-2-3-9)1T
Raid 0 (2x160gb) sata
9800pro(423/378) ice-Q
audigy 2zs
4 case fans
antec true480 PSU

Last edited by jrc; 22nd July, 2005 at 12:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2005, 08:50 PM

ok guys the drives are no longer dropping from windows...the problem is not the cable, but if they do drop again i'll change them

the biggest problem concerning me now is that my dvdrom drive does not read anything (neither cds nor dvds)! i just bought one of those cleaning kits but im not able to clean it cuz to do so you have to actually run a file in the cd that makes it spin for like 30 seconds (thats what i think i does). but the dvd wont read the cleaning cd so i cant open the file. i insert the cd it starts spinning, the mouse pointer changes to indicate its reading a cd and then outta nowhere it just stops spinning as if it didnt recognize the cd...and when u try to open anything in it it says "please insert a disk".

so i just kept sticking the cleaning cd in and out to make it spin for some time and nothing really changed...what else can i do? could the problem be the lenses or something? should i take it somewhere to get it fixed?
Old 22nd July, 2005, 08:57 PM
xD ~HOO-RAAH
Snake Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Pacman Champion, Capture The Flag Champion, Mario Bros Pipe Panic Champion, Dirt Bike 2 Champion

Send a message via MSN to Abdul

If you can, try it in another computer... just to make sure if the the DVD-Drive is the problem or summat else.

If soo (DVD-Drive Problem), yep your best getting it checked from some comp. company

If not let us know.

If ya really wanna do summat, try opening it, WARNING WARRANTY IS VOID WHEN DOING THIS well mostly anyways,
and check for any unusal things like burnt parts or something thats stuck around the lens or anywhere else.
Old 22nd July, 2005, 10:01 PM

Can I say something? A DVD-Rom is very cheap. I mean, come on, I can get one for £10.
You could pop down your local retailer, pick one up, and have it working in under an hour.
Old 23rd July, 2005, 02:29 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

is worth buying a replacement if it isnt the DVD Rom thats faulty though?

but then i suppose after typing that question in 5 seconds, i then realised that if you bought a DVD Rom for £10, then it would be worth it, just for swapping out value...

ps i would suggest trying DVD-Rom on same IDE ribbon as yur HDD, just to rule out any problem with your IDE ribbon, or the IDE connector on the mobo

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!