AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th July, 2005, 04:23 PM

Unhappy cannot get sata to work

I just got a Gigabyte GA-8S655FX(L) P4 mobo, cannot get sata to work, info in manual a bit sketchy. Have tried all the settings but still nothing showing. Can anyone help? By the way Enermax 600watt psu working fine with new mobo.
Old 25th July, 2005, 04:36 PM

Details?? Not got that board so can t help there - but the more detail you post chances are someone can help out a bit more.

You doing a fresh install of XP?? Or adding it to an existing install??
Old 25th July, 2005, 10:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Unless you have RAID installed and you are using it
pg47 of your manual;
Change GigaRAID to ATA not RAID if not using it
Change SIS Serial ATA mode to IDE not RAID if not using it

Gigabyte instruction manuals suck, But once you have managed to set one up properly you can kinda understand them.

What they don't say is, if you aren't using the RAID function, you have to tell it to run in IDE mode

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2005, 11:27 AM

sata problems

tried installing sata without any ide hard drives and it cannot find the drives. I have tried new cables and the power cable comes direct from the psu so no joins. Is there any way to test drives without inserting another sata controller card? The drives are setup in jbod.
Old 26th July, 2005, 03:57 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Have you created the floopy disc you need and press F6 before winXP setup loads ?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2005, 04:35 PM

sata problem

yes can get to showing jbod in system(control panel) when I click on populate I get fulldrives eg 2@190gb=390gb but cannot format drives and they do not have labels. There is nothing in the volumes box??? Could the drives both be faulty???
Old 26th July, 2005, 10:26 PM
Member/Contributer

SATA and IDE are the same. You have to disable RAID if you're not using it. I had a very similar problem with my Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI, it would not pick up any of my HDD's except in the RAID utility. Which I wasn't using.

I then turned the RAID function off (changed it to act like IDE) and it worked. It doesn't mean that you are using ATA drives plugged into SATA it means you aren't using RAID.

btw ATA, PATA, SATA, and SATAII are all IDE drives. It's just the data transfer style is different. You can get a connection for ATA - SATA.

So unless you have set up a RAID array, you need to change those bios settings to IDE or it wont work.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 27th July, 2005, 08:27 AM

Red face sata problem

tried that, made no difference. Going to give up. I will through the sata drives in the bin and just use the 4gb drive I have in until my 80gb is replaced. The reason, I got a mchine made by a shop at xmas,3.2gb p3 1@80gb hd, 1@120gb hd, 2@190gb sata drives. It kept having faults then I got it back working with 120gb off data missing, when I contacted the shop he flew into a rage and told me he would not touch the machine again. I think I might just give up and never look at another pc again. I have been building machines since my ZX80 and never had problems like this before. Anyway thanks for your time everyone. I will just have to use my p2 333 with a 4gb hd for playing with.

thanks again

ted wallace