AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th July, 2005, 08:01 AM

Radeon 9500 Pro + A7N8X Deluxe = No Post

Ive tried finding info on this everywhere. Nforcers had a bunch of info, but nothing seems to helps. at least now I can be overly descriptive of it now.

Heres my problem. with my ATI built 9500 pro in my PC it wont post about 90% of the time. What happens is I flip the switch on my PSU, and hit the power button. No single beep, no video. at this point I hit the reset button and sometimes it will post and Ill get video (cold booting seems to be a somewhat common issue). when those rare moments happen that it posts, most of the time it will lock up and get artifacts on the screen. it will sometimes lock up right at the boot screen though it will sometimes actually make it all the way to windows (mabye once in every 30 successful posts) and then lock up with artifacts.

Ive tried eveything. turning fast write on/off, AGP 8X on/off, different voltages, different AGP frequencies, different BIOSes, changing PSUs, changing ribbon cables, Ram, moving the PCI cards around. think thats pretty much anything.

after all this frustration Ive found out a few things...

the only other AGP card I can get my hands on is a geforce 2 mx400 from a friend. it works fine in the system and my 9500 works fine in his, along with 2 other PCs. along the same lines I have an old PCI video card and it works flawlessly in the system, its what im using right now.

the only way I can get it to work somewhat consistently is to leave the card out of the system for about 3 or more days. then it has a better chance to post and stay stable. But it still has a chance to just lock up and start the whole cycle over again. Its gone 5+ months of normal use and I can turn it off and on and then out of no where it will start this mess again.

Ive RMA'd the card and mother board and it still does it. I changed my PSU and it didnt help either. here is my specs. any ideas short of just buying a new card? im sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as thourough as possible.

AMD Athlon 2600+
A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 with 106 bios presently
1GB (2x512MB) Kingston PC2700 Ram
Radeon 9500 *Pro*
Antec NeoPower PSU

Less important stuff

Belkin Wifi card
SB Live

thanks in advance guys.
Old 27th July, 2005, 12:36 PM
Member/Contributer

Are you connecting your card to the PSU, I read the spec's and it requires this - normally the problem

how many watts is the PSU?
I suggest 400W+ for your system but I'm a noob with PSU's, you shoud get someone elses opinion on that opinion regarding that.

Have you tried removing everything except essentials?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th July, 2005, 01:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Got a spare PSU to test with? using the latest BIOS on the board?
Old 27th July, 2005, 03:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
Are you connecting your card to the PSU, I read the spec's and it requires this - normally the problem

how many watts is the PSU?
I suggest 400W+ for your system but I'm a noob with PSU's, you shoud get someone elses opinion on that opinion regarding that.

Have you tried removing everything except essentials?
In noob's support:
Quote from Ati's Faq

"Do the Radeon® 9700 and Radeon® 9500 Series graphics cards require an additional power connection and why?
A4: Yes. Both the Radeon® 9700 and Radeon® 9500 Series have so many advanced features that they require an additional power connection to attain maximum performance from the graphics card. The Radeon® 9700 and Radeon® 9500 Series require connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. A 300W power supply or greater is recommended to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed."
Old 27th July, 2005, 03:13 PM
Steve Jobs

I love how they say its the advanced features that are on the card which causes it to use more power than the AGP slot can provide, rather than the fact that it just draws too much damn power due.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th July, 2005, 05:38 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Well put Dsio. I wasn't even aware ATI Radeon 9500 series required additional power. I have a Radeon 9550 and that requires a 300w PSU or above.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 27th July, 2005, 10:23 PM

the PSU Im using right now is a 480 watt one. I actually bought it in hopes of fixing this problem. I have also tried 2 different PSUs, a 350 watt and a 400.

and yes. its connected to the video card.
Old 27th July, 2005, 10:44 PM

Funny the 9600xt I have requires no external PSU line...
Old 27th July, 2005, 11:09 PM
Team 45 Folder

Yeah see, i don't really know why a 9500 series requires one, varies from manufacture to manufacture i guess.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 27th July, 2005, 11:21 PM

the 9500 pro is pretty much a slower version of the 9700 pro with 128 memory bus vs the 9700s 256. its baised off the same chip architecture and uses the exact same drivers. so 90% of the time if its a problem with 9700s (and some times 9800s) it will also effect my 9500 pro.
Old 27th July, 2005, 11:38 PM
Team 45 Folder

So all is working now, or is it not?
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 28th July, 2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustt
Ive tried finding info on this everywhere. Nforcers had a bunch of info, but nothing seems to helps. at least now I can be overly descriptive of it now.

Heres my problem. with my ATI built 9500 pro in my PC it wont post about 90% of the time. What happens is I flip the switch on my PSU, and hit the power button. No single beep, no video. at this point I hit the reset button and sometimes it will post and Ill get video (cold booting seems to be a somewhat common issue). when those rare moments happen that it posts, most of the time it will lock up and get artifacts on the screen. it will sometimes lock up right at the boot screen though it will sometimes actually make it all the way to windows (mabye once in every 30 successful posts) and then lock up with artifacts.

Ive tried eveything. turning fast write on/off, AGP 8X on/off, different voltages, different AGP frequencies, different BIOSes, changing PSUs, changing ribbon cables, Ram, moving the PCI cards around. think thats pretty much anything.

after all this frustration Ive found out a few things...

the only other AGP card I can get my hands on is a geforce 2 mx400 from a friend. it works fine in the system and my 9500 works fine in his, along with 2 other PCs. along the same lines I have an old PCI video card and it works flawlessly in the system, its what im using right now.

the only way I can get it to work somewhat consistently is to leave the card out of the system for about 3 or more days. then it has a better chance to post and stay stable. But it still has a chance to just lock up and start the whole cycle over again. Its gone 5+ months of normal use and I can turn it off and on and then out of no where it will start this mess again.

Ive RMA'd the card and mother board and it still does it. I changed my PSU and it didnt help either. here is my specs. any ideas short of just buying a new card? im sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as thourough as possible.

AMD Athlon 2600+
A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 with 106 bios presently
1GB (2x512MB) Kingston PC2700 Ram
Radeon 9500 *Pro*
Antec NeoPower PSU

Less important stuff

Belkin Wifi card
SB Live

thanks in advance guys.
Hi,

My wife has a a7n8x with 9700pro, SB live and an Athlon 2600+. Hers has a sparkle 350w PSU and 1gig of Geil PC3200(512x2). We had the artificating on boot up even in the bios screen. Sound familiar? I have it rock solid now: here is what the prob was. My ram timing by SPD was 2-2-2-5 1T @ 200mhz, I loosed them upto 2.5-3-3 2T @ 166mhz and it boots right every time. I don't know what the relation to system memory timings are. But it made all the difference.
GL
Old 28th July, 2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC
Hi,

My wife has a a7n8x with 9700pro, SB live and an Athlon 2600+. Hers has a sparkle 350w PSU and 1gig of Geil PC3200(512x2). We had the artificating on boot up even in the bios screen. Sound familiar? I have it rock solid now: here is what the prob was. My ram timing by SPD was 2-2-2-5 1T @ 200mhz, I loosed them upto 2.5-3-3 2T @ 166mhz and it boots right every time. I don't know what the relation to system memory timings are. But it made all the difference.
GL
just tried those timing settings. still no luck. Ill play around with them a bit more and see if I can find something that works.
Old 28th July, 2005, 12:13 PM
Team 45 Folder

Just keep trying mate, remember keep us posted and maybe someone will come along with an answer to your problem.
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
AOA Folding @Home
Old 29th July, 2005, 02:53 AM

Another thought. With all those different vid cards you may have a driver conflict. If you don't choose a fresh install of your OS. Try uninstalling drivers for all your cards (if you haven't already) boot into safe mode. And run driver cleaner (google it).I recommend running driver cleaner's cab cleaner as well to keep XP from automatically installing them from the driver cab. Then install latest Catalyst from ATI.
Old 29th July, 2005, 08:41 AM

been trying various ram settings. nothing seems to be working. its a pain having to swap cards between each setting change too.

DaveBC; whenever my card decides to hate me I usually boot up with my VGA PCI card in safemode first and run driver cleaner. my problem happens before I even hit the splash screen though.
Old 29th July, 2005, 09:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Have you tested your other component.

That sounds like 1 of 3 things

An intergrated part of your MB, could be something to do with your graphics slot
RAM
a bad sector on your HDD

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 29th July, 2005, 10:05 AM

1. I dont think its the AGP slot. Ive tested it with a Geforce 2 and a Geforce 3. Both worked fine.
2. I bought my kingston ram not too long ago. Ive been having this problem since I had my cheaper crucial memory. the new, higher quality ram hasnt helped me.
3. I dont think its the HDDs either. I can take both of them out (WD 80GB and Hatachi 82GB) and the PC still doesnt post all the time.

Pretty much the only piece of hardware I havnt been able test by swapping it for another one is the CPU. I cant find anyone whos willing to let me borrow theirs for a few hours. everything down to the *jumpers* have been replaced/swapped out.

really appreciate everyones help. I just know when this is finally figured out its going to be something simple.
Old 3rd August, 2005, 12:47 AM

hi everyone; found this thread through googling.
having the same exact problem - can't post with a7n8x deluxe, rev2, 1006 and 9800pro.
just rma'd 9700pro and got back a refurbed 9800pro.
still can't post.
psu is 520w ocz powerstream, so shouldn't be problems there.
read reply regarding playing with timings, will try that and update.
Old 3rd August, 2005, 04:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, faustt and bdon!

What a royal PITA this problem is. I read the 9500 Pro was better than the 9600 XT. Now I'm glad that I have the 9600XT!

« Help me! | why me?? »