AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2005, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Laptop doesn't seem to boot

I'm currently trying to make one of those digital picture frames you may have seen on the internet somewhere. I've got the laptop all taken apart but I've got one small problem: the laptop does not seem to want to boot. When I turn it on, the disk drive starts spinning and whatnot like it should do, but the screen does not come on. I figured that maybe I'd killed the laptop screen while taking the thing apart (it all worked fine before I'd taken it apart) so I connected an external screen to it. Nothing. I've gone through connecting all of the original parts again to see if I could remedy the problem. No dice. Did I just screw up the laptop mobo when taking it out or is there something that I'm missing.

I really hope that I can resolve this problem because although I went into this knowing full well that this could destroy the machine I'd really like this project to be a success.
Old 28th July, 2005, 01:11 AM

After thinking about it for a couple minutes, it seems logical that something bad may have happened with the graphics chip. However, the graphics chip is soldered right onto the mobo. It just strikes me as odd that it wouldn't work anymore when nothing else seems to be wrong. I'm still looking for other ideas. Got any?
Old 28th July, 2005, 01:21 AM

can you hear it "POST"?

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2005, 01:51 AM

It doesn't beep, though I don't remember if it ever did.
Old 28th July, 2005, 02:01 AM

Figured it out: bad bank of memory. I must've killed one of the sticks when I was unpacking the whole thing. However, the most important thing to me is that it still works fine. Woohoo! Now I just need to find a frame for the whole thing and reassemble it all into the frame and hang on the wall. I've got a perfect spot for it, too. As always, you guys will get to see the project when it is completed.
Old 28th July, 2005, 02:25 AM

Heh, now Ubuntu doesn't want to boot all the way. That's ok though as I just might want to do another clean install just to free some space and get rid of stuff I don't need that I've installed recently.
Old 28th July, 2005, 03:57 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How much mem do you have now? It might not be enough to boot Ubuntu?!?!
$.02
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2005, 04:21 AM

I believe I'd have enough with just one stick, but the strangest thing happened. It kept stopping the boot process just a little bit in so I figured I'd give it a clean install for some extra space. However, it wasn't wanting to boot. I put the other stick in and it booted up to the disk and is now installing. It's odd. I think it might be a problem, but I'm not so sure anymore.