AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th August, 2005, 10:03 PM

EPoX 9NDA3+ & Athlon 3200+ Problem

Any help appreciated.

New build with following specs.

Athlon3200+, Epox 9NDA3+, ThermalTake Butterfly 480W PSU, Thernaltake Xaser case, Radeon 9200 (for testing), Generic 256MB DIMM. USB keyboard and mouse.

Built outside case on antistatice bag. On pressing case power button the fans spin momentarily and the whole system shuts down.

If I press and hold the power switch for about 5 seconds then release and repress the system attempts to boot but with the following sequence: FF, C1, C3, 5?, ?? . . . , 95, 96, FF (the ??'s are coz the POST LEDs changed too bluddy fast!)

Switch Mechanism appears fine as the case boots up an Athlon XP system no worries.

The Thermaltake PSU powers up same Athlon XP system no worries as well and has all the correct voltages when tested with a multimeter.

I tried the PSU from a P4 (3.2GHz Prescott) machine with the EPoX board and 3200+ Athlon but it does the exact same as the Thermaltake

Any ideas or suggestion greatly appreciated.

Morkin.
Old 4th August, 2005, 10:48 PM
Member/Contributer

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Place the mianboard on the inner (more sturdy) cardboard box that it came in and try booting it there. The anti-static bag may be shorting the board.
Is the memory tested and confirmed working, graphics card and all other PCI cards are fully seated and secure?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2005, 10:49 AM

Thanks Lazgoat,

I'll try that this evening. The memory and graphics card are know good and I checked them in another box right after the EPoX test to be sure. There is nothing else in the system.

I tried also with 2 Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO which have leds on top but with the same results. However the lights on the DIMMS showed green (theres a bank of lights green through red to indicate activity and the first couple of green were on) when I turned on the PSU but before I flipped the power switch. Maybe an anomaly - I dunno.

BTW what PSU you using? Any bad stories on the Thermaltake? How can I test it under load - it looks okay with w multimeter with no load and powers an XP system no problems.

Thanks again,

M.
Old 5th August, 2005, 06:01 PM

I just tested the Thermaltake PSU with a 3.2GHz P4 (prescott) system here at work and it booked no problems at all. So it's down to the mobo. or CPU.

Will reseat CPU and reapply goo and try with a PCI graphics card.

Update Monday probably.

Anyone know the symptoms if the EPoX doesn't recognise the CPU? Are the consistent with the issues I'm having?

Thanks for listening so far,

M.
Old 6th August, 2005, 10:46 AM

Is it a Venice core? If so it's a posability that your bios doesn't recognize a rev. E chip. Could be way off though. Mine didn't officialy have support for it but it worked. Something to look at so you can at least rule it out. gl
WD SATA 120gig | Maxtor 200gig | OCZ 520w PowerStream
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2005, 11:24 AM

Unhappy

This is weird but here's my work around for the mo.

I finally got the thing to boot but have to keep the power switch pressed in before I turn on the PSU - fortunately my PSU has an on/off switch. I then release the case power switch and the thing boots.

I've installed Win XP Pro with the kit outside the box and will try to move things inside tonight.

I've been following various other threads and this is a v. common problem with Venice core Athlon64s esp. with EPoX boards. Some are fixed easily by PSU replacement but some still require the kludge fix to boot.

I've had no response from either EPoX or Thermaltake but I'll try to get my hands on some more PSU's and resolve this - maybe even produce a list.

If only PC World stocked decent PSUs as they have an simple return policy. Maplin nearly torture a confession out of folks!

Thanks for listening,

M.
Old 15th August, 2005, 09:04 AM

Question Interesting update

Okay so I got the machine to boot with the "holding the the switch then connect the PSU kludge". Spec. was 3200 A64, 2x512MB Corsair XMS Pro RAM, SATA Drive, IDE HDD, DVD-RW, ATI 9200 AGP card, and the Thermaltake 480W PSU.

Installed some drivers for the board. Powered down and replace the test 9200 card with my 9800 Pro which needs a four pin power connector.

Went to power on using the "holding the the switch then connect the PSU kludge" but the thing won't budge no way no how.

So looks like I'm on the trail for a better PSU but I'm unsure as to what I need to improve - which rail etc. I though the AGP cards took 1.5V so the 9800 Pro shouldn't crap out the system more than the 9200.

Can anyone shed light on what the issue is/might be? The 9800 is fine in my ASUS Socket A board.

Thanks,

M.
Old 15th August, 2005, 09:28 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

A 9800 pro uses more power than a 9200 by a fair way.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2005, 11:06 AM

Agreed MonkeyMan, but I'm trying to find out which rail needs the most beefing up so I can chose a new PSU. The overall Wattage of the PSU is more than enough for a system like this.

M.
Old 15th August, 2005, 11:28 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

there should be a sticker on the side with the current per rail, 5v-20a,12v -15a (not real figures)etc...post them up and we can give you an idea

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2005, 11:45 AM

MonkeyMan, apparently anAntec 430 works fine with this combination (well 6600 AGP card but near enough).

Here are the specs. - I'm trying to source the Antec at the mo.

Thermaltake 480W Butterfly:
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001920.htm

Antec 430W TruePower
http://www.antec.com/specs/true430_spe_EU.html#

Summary,

Antec has more juice on negative end of rails and no minimum load. Can someone explain if/why this would cause the problems folks are experiencing?
Old 15th August, 2005, 11:04 PM

Sorry I'm not sure what your exact problem is but I thought this was worth reading even if it is a little lengthy.
"Choosing The Right Power Supply"
If you’re lazy and just want the numbers. Then here’s a power supply calculator for you but there’s more to it than that.
WD SATA 120gig | Maxtor 200gig | OCZ 520w PowerStream
Old 16th August, 2005, 10:40 AM

Unhappy

Thanks for the link l3fty, I'll read it all.

Here's an update as well.

Bought a cheap-ass Q-Tec 650W and tested it last night. It runs the system fine including the 9800 Pro BUT it will only boot by connecting the power cable to the PSU. The power button only does tha same as the two other PSU's I tried, it just spins the fans briefly. Am gonna try another PSU this evening - an Enermax Noisetaker 600W but that's €215!

This looks more and more like a temperamental motherboard (or mobo/CPU combination). Still no response from EpoX though.

M.

Last edited by Morkin; 16th August, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 16th August, 2005, 07:57 PM

Angry

Further Update:

Returned QTec 650W and bought a BluePower500 from FSP.
Same result - powers up system when using "power switch kludge"

I then Flashed BIOS to latest version.

Same effing result. What the eff is up with this Epox board and A64 combo?

What exact PSU are folks using that work perfectly with the 9NDA3+ and Venice Core 3200+? All help info and testing appreciated.

M.

BTW Added what CPUZ says about the system if that is of any use.
Old 18th August, 2005, 10:43 AM

Final Update

Tried an Enermax Noisetaker 600W SLi ready with the damn 9NDA3+ board last night. No difference. Will only boot with the kludge (hold in switch whilst plugging in power).

Gonna RMA and avoid EPoX in the future. Will also start a summary thread see if ET can get some reasoning as to why this PSU problem is happening. Surely they tested the board with Venice core 64s and a selection of PSU's prior to release into the wild?

Thanks to all for the help.

M.
Old 23rd August, 2005, 10:10 AM

Red face Addendum

Bought and ECS KV2 board (all that was available at local Maplin).

Boots just fine with all the same HW - 3200 Venice, Thermaltake 480W, 9800 Pro, Corsair Memory, SATA drive and IDE drive and DVD RW.

ECS KV2 is happy as the proverbial pig in sh1t. All running fine.

Saving up now for a WD Raptor RAID 0 set-up.

Wish EpoX had replied but thanks for to you guys for all the help,

M.