AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th August, 2005, 01:32 PM

New 8RDA6+ Pro Won't work! help!

Blue screens, reboots sometimes won't start.

I'm going insane here. My old 8RDA+ Pro gave up the ghost, well, the caps were leaking so I got myself a 8RDA6+ to replace it. Going to repair the old one later.

So the new MB arrived on Thursday, put it all together then started trying to install Windows yesterday. Windows was really unhappy with my old install, so I started trying to install windows again. Now Im not sure what the problem was here, but I would get a blue screen when the windows start up disk would get to the point of showing you a menu. After changeing my BIOS back to default settings, (i.e. running my FSB at 100Mhz) it let me get to the first menu. Wiped the the drive with a quick NTFS format and reinstalled. Windows seemed to go on ok.

I then installed the 5.10 drivers for my MB (not the audio though), the 77.76 XG drivers and the 3.73 A'97 drivers. Updated windows. Also flashed my BIOS to the latest verison.

Everything seems to be ok.

So, I try putting the FSB back up at 200Mhz

CPU - 11x200 = 2.2Ghz
MEM - 200Mhz 6 - 3 - 3 - 2.5
This is what I used to run on my 8RDA+

But it was having none of it. Windows will sometimes get booted up properly sometimes, sometimes sits at the "Welcome" screen for ages then just sit at the desktop with no start bar. So, seeing as it was being unstable, I tried running Q3 and Doom 3. I could get a couple of mintes of play with Q3, but would then crash, reboot or freeze. Doom 3 much the same but couldn't really get anything past a few seconds of play or would crash on the loading screens. So. I did some Prime95 tests. After about 5 seconds it would blue screen (I have pics of the screen) saying sometimes about

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

or sometimes just "a problem has been detected with your computer" and in the technical information talks about "win32k.sys"

It only shows this for a sceond, then reboots.

I have tried various changes to the CPU and MEM frequency and voltages, but with no changes. I heard that running the vcore at 1.8V and the mem at 2.9V maybe be nessecery to run a 3200+ like mine, but that doesn't seem to help. Tried overclocking it too. No success.

Tried swapping around the RAM to different slots, only having one stick and also using my flat-mates sticks. No changes there.

Power Supply is a brand new Tagan 480W, so don't believe that is the problem.

Do you think that maybe my CPU is damaged? My tempertures are good though

CPU - 38 to 40 degrees
System - 27 to 30 degrees

so Im not sure about that either. Was thinking about putting a Sempron I have in another machine in, just to see.

I've also tried putting a different video card aswell, but that didn't make a difference.

I have also flashed to the BIOS Merlin made for the 8RDA6+ but no changes with that either.

help!

Black Widow Coolermaster Case
MSI i975X Power Up! 2.1 Rev. C0 300MHz FSB
BIOS - 10/08/2007
Intel Core Duo E6300 2.1GHz - Zalman 9700
Geil PC2-6400 2GB[2x1024] (4 - 4 - 4 - 12) (1.8V)
Power Color X1950 Pro 512 (Stock, for now)
Auzentech x-fi prelude 7.1

Twin SpinPoint 250GB SATAII
Tagan 480W (TG480-U01)
Plextor PX-716AL
Raptor K1 Pro Gaming Keyboard
Deathadder with S&S Steelmat
ViewSonic VX922 19"
VideoLogic DigiTheatre 5.1 (1stEd) - DTS, Dolby Digital, Optical
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2005, 01:39 PM
Member/Contributer

what kind of chipset cooling does this board have? is the fan spinning if there is one? Is the heatsink too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2005, 01:49 PM

As I said all temps are fine. It has active cooling on the Northbridge, passive on the South. I have a VF700 Zalman on the CPU. Case air flow is v.good.

New development!! The MB is now posting C1, which means.

Memory module inserted incorrectly.

I've taken the RAM out and moved them about, put em back in. Still getting this post.

Tits. Looks like this board is minced.

BIOS - 10/08/2007

Tagan 480W (TG480-U01)
Plextor PX-716AL
ViewSonic VX922 19"
Old 13th August, 2005, 03:27 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Is ur cpu overclocked or is it a 3200+ chip?
Old 13th August, 2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
Is ur cpu overclocked or is it a 3200+ chip?
As you can see in my sig, my CPU is a 3200+.

BIOS - 10/08/2007

Tagan 480W (TG480-U01)
Plextor PX-716AL
ViewSonic VX922 19"
Old 13th August, 2005, 03:49 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

OK, no need for the attitude
and that runs at 11x200 as standard correct?
Old 13th August, 2005, 04:31 PM
Member/Contributer

It is sounding like a motherboard issue with the components failing to even run at stock when they did so in your old board

With prime95 blue screening and not just reporting a hardware fault that almost sounds to me like a lack of current to the cpu or memory for it to bring down the system like that

From what I can see on the picture of the board on the epox website, your old board didn't use the 4pin 12V P4 connector, the new board does, is this connected and what psu do you have, could it be that it's 12V rail isn't up to the task?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th August, 2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
OK, no need for the attitude
and that runs at 11x200 as standard correct?
Aye, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
It is sounding like a motherboard issue with the components failing to even run at stock when they did so in your old board

With prime95 blue screening and not just reporting a hardware fault that almost sounds to me like a lack of current to the cpu or memory for it to bring down the system like that

From what I can see on the picture of the board on the epox website, your old board didn't use the 4pin 12V P4 connector, the new board does, is this connected and what psu do you have, could it be that it's 12V rail isn't up to the task?
I have a brand new Tagan 480W (see sig for model) and the 12V connecter is connected. Shouldn't be any problems there.

I'm going to be sending the board back as the machine doesn't even start anymore. Something seriously wrong with the board. I think I'm going to get myself a DFI Lan Party nF2 Ultra-B instead, they are great overclocking boards and it still uses the SoundStorm chipset rather than the AC'97. Or maybe the Asus A7N8X-E as it has Dolby Digital like my old board did.....

BIOS - 10/08/2007

Tagan 480W (TG480-U01)
Plextor PX-716AL
ViewSonic VX922 19"