AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th August, 2005, 01:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

raid array or hard disk failed? strange problem

hey guys. im an animator and i was just about to finish this big job today and i took a lunch break. i came back and the machine had been reset and wouldn't boot. I think it was a power surge because the power supply to my external drive was busted too.

so anyway i go into the raid utility (im using raid 0, which now that ive learnt my lesson will never do again), and it says the drive on channel 1 (lets call it A) is free, and the drive on channel 2 (B) is assigned to array one. so array one apparently believes that the drive on channel 1 is failed or disconnected.

to find out more, i swapped the drive's channels over, and now it says the drive on channel 2 (A again) is failed or disconnected, and that B on channel two is assinged to array 1. this led me to the conclusion that drive A is completely busted, but then it did this which further confuses me.

when i plug in any of the disks by themselves into either channel 1 or 2 so that only one of them is connected at a time, the utility says that they are assigned to array 1. this is pretty counterintuitive to me, as this information leads me to believe that it is the controller that is screwed, perhaps it cant deal with more than one drive at the same time after this power surge damaged it, but im not sure.

either way, im stumped as to whether its my disks or the controller which is at stake. what do you guys think?

also this controller is a promise fastrak 378 i think. included on the mainboard of an iwill dpi 533. if i buy another controller from any other brand, will it be able to recreate the array of these two disks? or do i need a controller manufactured by the same brand, or even the exact same controller?

thanks in advance for any help guys, it will be greatly apreciated.

if you'd like to see some of my work you can go to www.theoriginalqueg.com and i just won an international animation competition for motion design- http://www.stashmedia.tv/gsaa/

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 16th August, 2005, 02:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've never been a big fan of the Promise controllers. You might want to check and make sure you have the latest BIOS for it.

I can't remember now if the Promise writes its own initialization block to the drives or not. If it does, you will need to buy another controller of the same type. However, I'm not yet convinced that your controller is toast.

I'm curious about your configuration. You say that the power supply to your external drive is blown. Did you have one internal drive and one external drive plugged in? Or did you have two internal drives and an external USB drive? Do you happen to have or can you get ahold of two known good drives? (They don't have to be identical, we just want to plug them in to see if the controller will recognize and use them.)

Here is what I would try to do if I were you:
  1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the controller.
  2. Get a pair of drives that are known to be good. See if the controller will recognize and format the drives (you want to do a format to ensure that the controller really can use the drives. Sometimes a drive can be recognized but the controller can't send it commands).
  3. Plug your suspect drives into a standard IDE channel on your mobo and see if your mobo can successfully recognize the drives.

Post back here with the results of your tests, and either I or someone else can help you from there. Good luck!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2005, 07:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I've never been a big fan of the Promise controllers. You might want to check and make sure you have the latest BIOS for it.

I can't remember now if the Promise writes its own initialization block to the drives or not. If it does, you will need to buy another controller of the same type. However, I'm not yet convinced that your controller is toast.

I'm curious about your configuration. You say that the power supply to your external drive is blown. Did you have one internal drive and one external drive plugged in? Or did you have two internal drives and an external USB drive? Do you happen to have or can you get ahold of two known good drives? (They don't have to be identical, we just want to plug them in to see if the controller will recognize and use them.)

Here is what I would try to do if I were you:
  1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the controller.
  2. Get a pair of drives that are known to be good. See if the controller will recognize and format the drives (you want to do a format to ensure that the controller really can use the drives. Sometimes a drive can be recognized but the controller can't send it commands).
  3. Plug your suspect drives into a standard IDE channel on your mobo and see if your mobo can successfully recognize the drives.

Post back here with the results of your tests, and either I or someone else can help you from there. Good luck!

Now THIS post is a model of perfection. If only I was this knowledgeable and concise. You go, Gizmo!!
Old 29th August, 2005, 11:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to acgraham

well I fixed this by testing something another guy did by rebuilding the array, and everything worked thank god. as a result, ive just spent $2500 AU on 5 new 200gb drives, and 2 raid card so i can have a backup server. i guess the lesson needed to be learnt eventually. it was only a question of time. oh and i also bought an 800W ups. my wallet hurts.
Old 29th August, 2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Damn wish i had that kinda cash to burn lol though by the sounds of it the money could have came in handy in some other area.
Old 30th August, 2005, 05:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

5 200 Gb HDD's. Someone needs a hell of a lot of storage space. At least it isn't a SCSI RAID array!