AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2005, 11:12 AM

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and Radeon 9800 Pro

hey guys, got a bit of a problem, i have a radeon 9800 pro card, and an asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo, but i cant get it to boot.

AMD Athlon 2400 XP
512 PC 2100 ram
300w PSU

power is getting to the mobo, as it has a power standby led on it, but when i try to turn the comp on, absolutely nothing happens! no beeping or whirring or anything

the gfx card does require a psu connection, tried it on a Y-Connector, or from a single rail, tried with only the mb and gfx card on, with a single hdd on....

any suggestions would be great!

adz
Old 20th August, 2005, 02:31 PM
AOA Staff

recheck all your connections and try reseating all your cards/dimms, I assume you already tried flashing the cmos.

do the fans spin up when you try to boot it?
Old 20th August, 2005, 05:00 PM

Try going through your add-on cards, removing and replacing, to try and determine whats causing the fault.
If it isn't an add-on card, it's either the mobo, CPU or PSU. Borrow a mates PSU.
If still doesn't work, it's either the mobo or CPU. If you have another Mobo you can test the CPU in, do so. It should be fairly easy to find what is faulty.
Sometimes looking for scorch marks on circuit boards and molex plugs is good for checking signs of a power surge etc that may have damaged components.

Does your mobo have an LED? Or, even better, a two digit BIOS Display.
Old 20th August, 2005, 06:18 PM

yeah i tried the cmos, every component i had came from my old system, only the mb and the gfx card are new, and everything else still works fine.... just stuck for ideas really

my fans dont spin up at all, i have a power LED on the bopard which lights up green when i turn the psu on, but when i press the computer on button nothing happens.....

any more ideas guys?

adz
Old 20th August, 2005, 06:28 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

300W is old school, it probably doesn't have the required oomph. If this was my PSU, I'd replace it with a quality 450W or higher power supply. It's best to buy a more powerful PSU than you need. Your next PC will need it!
Old 20th August, 2005, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

My mate has a 9800pro and it wasn't recieving enough power with his 350watt. Try it in another computer or try it with another PSU before you buy a new power supply.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!