AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd October, 2005, 01:01 PM

TFT Monitor

My much beloved AG Neovo E-17 TFT appears to be badly damaged.
It seems to have deteriorated over time.
Frist, as you may recall, I started getting "misty" patches between the glass screen and the LCD panel. These are now occuring freqeuntly.
However, even worse, all the OSD buttons including the power button are broken.
The Power On button does not switch off or on the panel, but bizzarely the volum + and - buttons, the autosize button and the OSD control buttons now do not do their normal functions but instead switch the panel off and on.
This means I can no longer autosize, adjust the OSD settings or anything.

I don't know what to do. I have a 3 years manufacturers warranty which I could use. But there is a big problem. The box it came in was accidentally thrown away. So I have no box for it, only the foam inserts.
Would I be able to ask AG Neovo to send me a box to RMA it to them?
Or should I RMA to eBuyer.
I am really upset about this. The pnael still "works" but that isn't the point.
I'm so upset I can't tell my family.
Old 22nd October, 2005, 02:37 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

It wont make any difference which box it is in. As long as it nice and safe they should take it back
Old 24th October, 2005, 03:00 PM

eBuyer will not have anything to do with this.
I have contacted AG Neovo by e-mail, if no response I'll call them.
On their website it states packaging can be supplied to the customer at extra cost.
So I'll ask my father to pay for that seeing as he threw the box away.
Old 24th October, 2005, 03:03 PM

Well, Neovo have a stunning customer service reputation so this should work out fine.
The newer E-17 models have up-rated specs, so if it's repalced that's a conselation.
Old 26th October, 2005, 01:11 AM

You do have a replacement monitor to use while the TFT is being replaced, right? Because sometimes it can get drawn out a bit.
Old 27th October, 2005, 01:30 PM

AG Neovo were fantastic! They are gonna send me a new one as soon as they get it, and all I have to do is put the old one in the new ones box to give to courier.
The woman sounded shocked by how badly damaged the monitor is, so they aren't even going to bother looking at it. Just a straight swap.
Comapred to the various blokes on the end of OCuks support line, these guys were great.
Hopefully it won't be too long before they get a new batch of monitors.
But, well done AG Neovo.
Old 27th October, 2005, 03:43 PM

Wow, so the courier will drop by with the new monitor some time soon, and all you have to do is give him/her your old one, and that's it?

Nice.
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:00 PM

Yes, that's it. No questions or quibbles. It was all solved in one quick phone call.
None of this messing around with premium rate phone numbers, lying and sending me the same monitor back pretending it's the replacement.
Wchich is what ocUK did with my old shuttle.
"Here you go mate, your new replacement."
"Actually, you've just sent me my old one."
Idiots!
Old 27th October, 2005, 05:12 PM
AOA Staff

Good for you.

My guess is that the condensation which was forming on the inside of the glass panel has found it's way on to the circuits behind the control buttons. If so, mould may have formed on the PCB causing a short. That can usually be fixed by wiping the mould off.

When you get a replacement I would try to do something about the temperature in your room, otherwise you may have the same problem again in 6 months time. Or, get a panel which doesn't have a glass front on it.
Old 28th October, 2005, 03:00 PM

That's a good suggestion. The problem is, our attic bedroom is heated by a very small radiator. In the winter months, I literally struggle to get out of bed as it is so cold.
In fact, last year, I recorded a temperature of -10C. Outside the temperature was -2C.
In the summer months, all the hot air rises into our room and it turns into a furnace. This year I recorded a high of 35C. Outside, the temperature was 30C.
I am going to speak to my parents about this, but it is likely all we can do is rely on our little radiator. There is no room for anything else. I will have to, from now on I think, be more wary of the temperature when I use my computer.
I'll bare this in mind, and see what happens. I am glad AG Neovo were quick to resolve this. The monitor, despite the problems, is still firmly reccomended by me. AG rarely submit their products for review, so their hardly as well known as LG or Viewsonic.
But if they did, would Viewsonic and LG always be victors?
Old 28th October, 2005, 03:22 PM
AOA Staff

I'd suggest leaving the heater on a low setting all the time. That way the room temp will stay more stable and you won't get some much of a problem with condensation.

Heating in our house was near enough non-existant when I was a kid. Never mind condensation, there would be a sheet of ice on the inside of my window in the morning! No wonder I hate getting out of bed!
Old 28th October, 2005, 03:42 PM

It is a problem!
But shouldn't this electronic equipment be able to deal with it? Perhaps this is a design fault on the E-17, or maybe a design fault with all NeoV Optical Filter products. Unfortunately for Neovo, this is their selling point!
Old 28th October, 2005, 03:52 PM
AOA Staff

Glass is bad for condensation when it cools in humid air. The air in a house is usually quite humid due to cooking and showers, etc.

You might try making a dust cover for it out of tape and bubble wrap. That way it will be insulated when you switch it off. Bubble wrap works quite well at insulating.
Old 28th October, 2005, 04:47 PM

Great! Thanks, I'm gonna try that. I have loads of bubblewrap spare so I'll definately try that. It may look crude, but it offers great protection.

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 28th October, 2005 at 04:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2005, 11:01 AM

This is bizarre! The buttons are working fine now.
How the....
Does anybody know how the buttons work? It may help shed some light on how they work one time and not another.
Old 30th October, 2005, 05:27 PM
AOA Staff

If there was some dampness in there it may have dried out and is no longer shorting the buttons.

Do you know what a keypad on a mobile phone looks like when you take the cover off? It will be something similar to that. In fact mobiles suffer the same problem when the get wet from rain.
Old 30th October, 2005, 09:26 PM

Oh right, I see. Well, I still get the mist patch so at least I won't get told off for sending in a "functioning" monitor.