AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2005, 05:10 PM

Boot trouble

Ok, so I'm upgrading to a new computer and wanted to backup my present HD (a SATA HD that uses a SATA controller card, as my NF2 board doesn't support SATA). I had a second HD that had linux on it, so I formated it, and ghosted the SATA HD to the old linux drive (IDE). It seems I didn't uninstal LILO before doing so. Now I have a big problem:

My controller card sees the SATA HD, but I can't seem to boot off of it no matter what (used to boot by telling BIOS to boot from SCSI). The ghosted HD gets to LILO, and when told to boot to windows gives a "NTLDR missing" error.

I have a 3rd HD that I loaded XP on again. It boots up, but I still don't have access to the SATA drive, though I can see the data on the IDE drive. Follow me?

So any way to boot from these two HDs? Either one will do....I just need to boot from one of them somehow. If not, do you think the SATA HD will boot when installed on a new NF4 board (that I should get late this week)?
Old 7th November, 2005, 08:38 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Did you re-install the sata controller driver on the fresh install?
Old 8th November, 2005, 06:40 PM

yes I did, but I get the same problem with the IDE drive, so it's something else.

I've tried everything. I've tried "fdisk /mbr" and "fixmbr"
When it attemps to load, it gets to "verifying DMI pool data...." then prints out the letter "L" followed by 4 or 5 rows of "99"
Where the "L" is is where it would usually print out "Loading Lilo...."
I thought fdisk and fixmbr would delete Lilo, but it doesn't seem to. I no longer get the NTLDR missing message, just the row of 9's.
Old 9th November, 2005, 04:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Using "fdisk/mbr" will get the mbr in order--according to M$. A Linux '"fdisk"' (probably NOT exactly the '"fdisk"' command) needs to be done. I have an ancient version of Mandrake that will let you make the Linux boot record shipshape and Bristol fashion. Btw, why LILO? GRUB works soo much better. OTOH, Mandrake 5.1(?) doesn't speak GRUB.
Old 9th November, 2005, 04:54 PM

fdisk /mbr is a win98 command. But I did try it with a win98 boot disk. Still nothing. I can't imagine I need to load a linux boot file since I deleted that partition, and just need to fix the windows mbr.
I used mandrake, so used LILO. I'm not a hardcore linux user anyway.

Well, I tried reparing the IDE drive with winXP...no luck. I then installed winXP over the top of the IDE drive and it boots, but I lost some data. I still have the SATA drive to work for, but it has the same problem....fills the screen with 9's when attempting to boot.