AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2002, 10:59 PM

Magic Folder Impossible to Delete

I have this folder in my My Documents folder.
The strange part is that it cannot be deleted.
When i try to delete it, it says :

'Cannot delete file. Cannot read from Source file or Disk'

How do i get rid of it ?
Old 1st March, 2002, 04:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

What is the filename? (like type exactly how you see it with all of the spaces)
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 04:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, mickeypo! If you have a version of Windows that has MS-DOS mode, boot into it and delete the offensive folder or file.

Unfortunately, BBBBB's OS has features that can not be removed. This file or folder may be impossible to delete. If you delete one of the Passport files in Cookies, it's known to magically reappear soon. Thank Big Brother Billy Bully Boy--he has our best interests at heart!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 05:21 AM
Poseidonf4

that sounds like a disk problem, rather than gates being a moron... what i would suggest, is you run a full disk diagnostics, i'm talking disk doctor or whatever you scan your hd's w/, then defrag it, and try again. If that doesn't work, i'd suggest trying to delet it in DOS, and if you still have no luck, try downloading a file wipe program off download.cnet.com (erases all traces of the file, very useful when the FBI is kicking in your front door) and try using that. If you still can't get rid of it, your pretty much stuck w/ it.
Old 2nd March, 2002, 07:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Well, my idea was that if the foldername contains spaces, you might try typing something like the following in md-dos

del folder[ALT+255]name

alt+255 is same function as a space bar, but if you make a folder with alt+255, it won't delete unless you use the above line.
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2002, 06:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Dos is a nice place to Del folders like that.

Before you do anything scan it with anti virus to make sure it is clean. If there is a virus in there you have a bigger fish to fry. Some viruses have a nasty habit of creating duplicate files before they let then selves be deleted.

If you made the folder or it is clean of virus then go to dos prompt find the folder and del it. This depends on what system you are running also. You may need to boot with a system disk for win 95 to be able to do dos commands.

The other thing is ....if it aint broke , don't fix it. If it's not hurting anything and you can't del it. Just leave it alone. It may bug you that it's there but what the heck it's not hurting anything.

If supers idea is correct then just rename it. Then Del it.

Oh, and, Welcome to the forum.
----------------------------------------------

Old 3rd March, 2002, 12:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ive had pretty good luck by simply shutting it down ( Folding) and then rebooting after the rebooting it can be deleted. Then start over.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd March, 2002, 06:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Oc Jason Send a message via AIM to Oc Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Oc Jason

I too have same problem as stated. IT is a divx move like 638mb, it was uploading to me and got cutoff, now when i try to to delete it, i get a message saying that it cannot be deleted b/c it is in use by another program.? what can i try
WinXp
Old 22nd March, 2002, 07:26 PM
Mr Swede

Cool

This has happend to me too.
I have saved my old copy of Norton Commander, DOS-version 5.
It's great for this kind of stuff.
Old 22nd March, 2002, 07:59 PM
Banned

Like SM said, I think DOS mode is the way to go (think it was the RMDIR command to delete folders right?). Make sure you empty that folder first (del \\foldername\*.* ).
Old 2nd April, 2002, 09:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

What if its a virus and the file name has hex characters and smilie faces, when viewed in DOS? O yea, and no file extension too...
Old 2nd April, 2002, 09:41 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by e_storm
What if its a virus and the file name has hex characters and smilie faces, when viewed in DOS? O yea, and no file extension too...
del *

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 2nd April, 2002, 09:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

del *

wouldn't that delete all files? (I assume u mean: del *.*) That is what I ended up doing because it got as deep as the partitions, so had to be wiped clean. I was hoping there was another way.