AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November, 2005, 07:33 AM

Unhappy Pc Hangs....

I'm from Malaysia, a tropical country (with ambient temp of about 33deg.)
I have 2 pc's, one is a Dell Dimension 4700 (P4 3Ghz., 160G WD HDD, only 256 DDR2 RAM, ATI x300) it was working fine for about 1 year now. now however, it hangs everytime i leave it on for more than 6 hrs. HDD temp will rise to about 39deg. prior crashing (it hangs, i could see my last HDD temp). Only thing to do is to restart, it works fine afterwards before crashing again after a few hours. IT also hangs when i'm playing any heavy games (black & white, call of duty 2, etc.) and if i open up too many programs.This problem also occurs on my other computer AMD athlon 1GHz. (i understand if it happens on this PC, power supply just brokedown causing everything to overheat, problem started after that)
I've tried putting fans and even table fans beside an opened case. (the table fan managed to make it survive a wee bit longer.

please help. i hope i gave enough info.
Old 17th November, 2005, 04:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, azlee8780!

I've always wondered how the heck do you run a PC in the tropics? Is your CPU's heatsink and fan very, very clean? Off topic, you MUST buy more RAM. If you're running Win XP, 512 MB is the minimum requirement.
Old 24th January, 2006, 10:04 PM

Azlee,

I live in a sub-tropical region where summer temperatures exceed 50 Celsius and I have not had any problems with overheating. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor (previously had an Athlon XP 1200, for 3 years) and as long as I run 3 fans (processor, main-case and 2 additional PCI card fans (extractors) near my Video card) it will run just fine when my office's temps reach 46-48 celcius (just be sure to find a way to avoid your body from overheating).

In my opinion, you have another problem...hardware most likely. I would check the MoBo...or have someone else do it for you.

Good Luck
Old 25th January, 2006, 09:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

If you suspect overheating make sure to thouroughly clean your case and case fans and all of your heatsinks, even your video card. However I do not think it is overheating. atleast not the HDD.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2006, 09:10 AM
Steve Jobs

I've had issues with the Dimension 4700s here in Australia, where we have similar temperatures to you mate.

The problem with the 4700s is in the design. Its one of the very very earliest Intel Prescott cores. This means it is one of the most overheating prone chips ever made to start with. The issue is that the case is a mini tower, with very poor cooling.

The CPU cooler is pathetic for any CPU, and on a Prescott its a complete joke. The case ventilation is terrible, and the volume of the case makes it even worse.

All the one's ive seen, ive informed the owners to RMA it.
Attached Images

Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2006, 03:35 PM

Thats the same case they have on one of the work PC's (only running a celeron in it though). Extremely limited and cheap is all thought of it.
Old 25th January, 2006, 03:39 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
Thats the same case they have on one of the work PC's (only running a celeron in it though). Extremely limited and cheap is all thought of it.
Those words just about sum up the whole Dell entry level experience really.

A Celeron could probably plod along without self destucting in one of those little things, but it really is stupidity sticking an early Prescott in it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 26th January, 2006, 05:26 PM

Azlee,

You mentioned that the problem occurs ALSO on a second PC, an Athlon XP based desktop...the problems described by DSIO and Kellame could be the problem for your Dell, but if the other PC is of a different brand and you have the same problem...sounds like another -different- problem.

Mexico is known for having faulty and irregular power lines. Malasia could be the same for all I know. Electrical supply is then a major consideration. Do check your electrical line...if needed, buy the absolute best Power regulator.

Good Luck
Old 26th January, 2006, 05:48 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlMan
Azlee,

You mentioned that the problem occurs ALSO on a second PC, an Athlon XP based desktop...the problems described by DSIO and Kellame could be the problem for your Dell, but if the other PC is of a different brand and you have the same problem...sounds like another -different- problem.

Mexico is known for having faulty and irregular power lines. Malasia could be the same for all I know. Electrical supply is then a major consideration. Do check your electrical line...if needed, buy the absolute best Power regulator.

Good Luck
If you see the original post, its an early Athlon, and the power supply in it is baked, problems starting after that happened. I still think its heat related for the Prescott and the bunk PSU on the Athlon.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah