AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2005, 11:54 AM

ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt

I've shifted this from EPoX mobo forum (the original thread can be found here 8rda+ Post Code C1) to here as I now have a software (XP) related prob.

This morning I popped into the bios and changed my the fsb to 200Mhz with a 9.5 multiplier. this isn't much above what my cpu should be running at (1833Mhz) and changed the memory settings, first to what was previously suggested, 11,3,3,2.5 at 100% frequency ratio and got no joy, just some red screen (mentioning bios I think) flashed up and went, quicker than I could read it, then sweet nothing & blankness. So I waited..... powered down and reset the cmos. I repeated the above but with the following mem settings 11,4,4,3 and again the same result!! So I tried this, 200Mhz FSB but with the multiplier set to optimum and the same mem setting 100% and 11,4,4,3 and voila it booted..... detected the cpu as Athlon 3200+ running at 2200Mhz (200 x 11) and the DDR at 400Mhz..........SUCCESS!!!!!

Short lived though !!!!!!!

I never got into Windows I was just told that file ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt!!!

I've had this problem previously, which resulted in a reinstall of Windows. See link (if you're interested).
pc will not boot up !!

But a cmos reset and putting everything back to Optimum, FSB 166Mhz*11 Athlon XP 2500+ at 1833Mhz and mem at 166Mhz 7,7,3,2.5 gets me up and running fine, I'm sat here typing on it!!!

Any ideas anyone?

Please remember to reply in Noddy language

Phil.

Oh why... oh why... oh why ? ? ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2005, 01:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

A non-stable overclock will result in all sorts of wierd and wonderful errors. That's what it sounds like to me at least!

When you overclock the processor, you're also overclocking the RAM. What RAM do you have in the system?
Old 21st November, 2005, 02:11 PM

DIMM info is as follows.

It may also be worth reading the links in my first post in this thread.

Elixir 512Mb PC3200

Old Stick (In PC since Autumn 2003)
Elixir 512Mb pc3200 400Mhz
part no. m2u51264ds8hb3g-5t

New Stick
Elixir 512Mb pc3200 400Mhz
part no. m2u51264ds8hc3g-5t

The diference you'll see is old is b3g and new is c3g, but the RAM is sold as the same module I bought the new stick from ariapc.co.uk and the DIMM is sold as b3g but the sticker says c3g, the part numbers are also verified with HWinfo32.

Phil.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2005, 04:43 PM

Got this error also on my lappy. I'm starting to suspect a bad memory stick.

Damn it.
Old 21st November, 2005, 05:35 PM

Mmmm, I thought that too, however, if I try either DIMM in DIMM1 the PC boots fine (running as a 2500+ (166*11) with mem @ 166Mhz. It's when things are 'upped' either nothing happens or a boot up and the the ntoskrnl.exe prob. It appears that this can happen when there's been some system changes and the boot.ini file is out of whack with the new hardware settings.

See http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000631.htm for info

Phil.

Old 21st November, 2005, 05:37 PM

Have a look at this link http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm do you reckon this would work?

Phil.

Old 21st November, 2005, 06:13 PM

The boot.ini file is one of those where your system either works (IE, it's correct), or it doesn't. It won't randomly stop working.

If, when you're overclocking you get errors that don't occur at stock speeds, it's almost always because something couldn't handle the overclock. Try setting the system to something inbetween and see if you still get problems.
Old 22nd November, 2005, 01:23 AM
Member/Contributer

have a look at this article guys
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 22nd November, 2005, 10:48 AM

Nice, but if you've just applied an overclock and the system dies like that, in all probability it will be caused by the overclock.
Old 22nd November, 2005, 01:53 PM

Why didn't this work

This morning I tried changing just the multiplier, normally its Optimum which results in 11*166mhz =1833mhz so I thought I'll try 13*166mhz =2165mhz(ish) but the machine booted as an Athlon XP 1100+? Why? Is my cpu locked? This is really starting to frustrate me, let alone the fact that I can't seem to get a DIMM to work in DIMM SLOTS 2&3. Is there an idiots guide to oc's somewhere around here? That will explain everything to me in single syllables?

Phil.

Old 22nd November, 2005, 02:00 PM

No, your CPU isn't locked, but there's some interesting things happen when you try to go over a multiplier of 12.5. Basically, the multipliers "wrap" around.

However, you might also want to look into the L12 mod - see this thread for some more information. People used to do this by joining bridges on the CPU, but a bit of fine wire in the CPU socket is much easier!
Old 22nd November, 2005, 08:07 PM

Some success without Windows refusing to load, I've left the FSB at 166Mhz but applied a 12.5 multiplier and it's now ruuning as 2800+ at 2088 Mhz and everything seems stable with no change in temp. I think I'll try to up the FSB next then alter the memory frequency and see where we go from there.

Phil

Old 22nd November, 2005, 11:36 PM

Keeping the memory at 100% is a good idea - having the memory running async with the cpu causes a big loss in performance! It might mean you can't get up such a high speed, but at least you're not losing more than you gain.