AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th June, 2006, 04:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Well if its your PSU (and you have a crappy one) what may have happened from the draw required by your setup, is the regulator may be shorting.

Budget PSU = incorrect rail amps (ie low 12V max amperage) and budget parts.

Sometimes what can happen is you fuse the regulator or part of, and therefore it can now supply the correct amount of amps for the rest of your computer to run.

This is not a good thing!!!!

Your components could be drawing much more than what your PSU can safely supply. While it may be ok for a few days, a week, even a month, in the long term it will burn out what little is holding it together. If that happens cheap PSU's have been known to take out all hardware they are connected to.

After hearing about it (and not believing at first) I picked up a cheap ($NZ40 ~$US15-20) 450W PSU and tested it in the electronics lab at uni.

I tested the max draw on a older dell they have (Optiplex GX270), with a PSU rated at 300W, and the dell PSU was just enough. I then put the crappy PSU into the labs test equipment, and designed it to place the same draw onto this "Designed for Intel P4" PSU. Fortunately it is designed for what eventually happened.

The PSU seemed to handle the requirements of the dell, and while the osciliscope showed a bit higher noise from the PSU, nothing really bad. Well when I came back the next week (I had that class weekly), the tech who looks after the place wanted to speak with me. It seems that blown PSU's can really stink out a small room, and you could still smell it a bit. The PSU lasted 4 days at constant max full load of the dell and blew all the safety fuses on the equipment. At the end it sent a pulse on the 12V rail, at over 20V and over 18A (above max settings we were using on the test equipment for readings). The PSU was a component destroyer!

While some cheap PSU's may hold for longer (mine did on my computer, and I replaced it before I had major problems), there is no way I would put one near any computer I own now.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2006, 06:31 PM

Well Your Right,

It did start up again, along with an "Overclocking Has Failed" POST message. When I went to install my new Thermaltake 550W PSU, I found that the retaining screws on my motherboard had backed out. It was very loose. I tightened everything up, and installed the new 550W Thermaltake PSU, and it works great. The new PSU weighs three times as much as the little dinky one that I originally put in my case. I've learned a good lesson about cheap PSU's
I also got rid of the serial, parallel, and PS/2 ports, and am using a USB configured mouse and keyboard. The machine boots much faster now.
WD Caviar SATA-150/120GB
Plextor PX-716SA DVD
XFX 6600 256MB
Thermaltake Swing Case
CoolerMaster Hyper 48
Thermaltake TR2-550W PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2006, 09:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Glad to hear everything working now

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 14th June, 2006, 10:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

When things go wrong I get out a can opener and leave it on my desk overnight...I'm not saying anything,.... but it works! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th June, 2006, 03:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
When things go wrong I get out a can opener and leave it on my desk overnight...I'm not saying anything,.... but it works! ":O}

I like it...the silent threat...
Old 16th June, 2006, 07:07 AM

if you have a different vid card try it,had the same problem 3 times with
video cards going bad.1 took out the mobo.the others just took out the psu.once switched in a 5200 and the power stopped shutting off through windows.windows would close down but all the fans wiould still run and the cds.had to shut off the psu button to shut down.thought it was a bad psu,after it started rebooting.put in a new 550 watt was fine.built a comp for a friend,gave him the 5200 vid card,1 week later his brand new
psu burnt up,after starting to reboot randomly usually online.got the box back put in new psu worked great for about 2 days then rebooting again
this time at the windows start screen.put in new mobo, after 3 restarts same thing. took out the 5200 and put in another vid card no problems since.kinda knew it was the vid card,since ive seen it before,dont know why i didnt zero right in on it.
asrockdual opty148 170x11 ocwbeta2 bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 2x512
WD80 Sata 1.5
Dfi ultraB m2600@250x10 hellfire turbo bios
twinmos3700 4.3d 1x512 2x256
abit nf7s2.0 Bart2500@250x10 tictac d1.0
buffalo 3700 bh5 1x512 2x256
Old 18th June, 2006, 07:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It bites that a Vidcard can cause all that damage, better make sure that I buy a good one when it's time to move up.
Old 2nd August, 2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
When I switch my PC on first thing it's restarting. Sometimes it resets at POST, sometimes during the XP screen, and a couple of times this wek it's just done it whilst runing along quietly to itself.

I suspect a PSU problem - anyone else had a similar experience?
FINALLY - IT WAS THE PSU damn thing seemed to have a loose connection or something... it's gone to the dump now and I've replaced it with a 300w seasonic off ebay (£7!)

1/3 the noise and totally stable

Happy at last

rig: a7n8x-x, Xp-m 2200 , 3/4 gig mem, fx5200, akasa carnival - 46c stable,

cheers once more to rondog

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd August, 2006, 11:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Streethawk, very sorry this info comes to you late in the day....cheap PSU's are not the way to go! If you have further troubles, look there first.

As Noob pointed out:

"Budget PSU = incorrect rail amps (ie low 12V max amperage) and budget parts."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd August, 2006, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk
FINALLY - IT WAS THE PSU damn thing seemed to have a loose connection or something... it's gone to the dump now and I've replaced it with a 300w seasonic off ebay (£7!)

1/3 the noise and totally stable

Happy at last

Good to hear its been fixed.

An analogy I heard from a mate.

"Buying a budget PSU is like putting diesel into a brand new Ferrari"

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 3rd August, 2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 02:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I just replaced a PSU in an emachine for a similar issue. I actually had to do a bit of system repair as they let the machine act up for some time. It was a dead give away for the PSU. Restarts, BSOD, hangs, running very slow and so-on.

Happy to see you got it taken care of....
Old 15th August, 2006, 04:01 AM

Had similar problems when grandson got a virus from myspace.co. Would reboot every time virus scanner tried to load. Even if you tried an online scan in safe mode. Tried repair console (fix boot, fix MBR) in case it was a boot sector virus.

Got to thinking that since the comp was stable in DOS mode it couldn't be a boot sector virus.

Finally had to format my OS drive and reinstall XP. Storage drive was ok.

Hope your is not a virus.

Dave
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD
Old 11th September, 2006, 09:10 PM

stay well clear of seasonic ultrra powerpacks.

not because of any brand hatrid,
but because i had to setup a £1700 super system and they chose a 500 WaTT seasonic
and to be honest it was a "NIGHTMARE" of cable mess, the powerpack suggested above seems good because it is tidy with all those fine braiding of fibres around those cables, but for the best bet, have a look around, and goto a big computer fair, tiny ones usually seem to stock rubbish or are expensive, but with bigger comp fairs, you can shop around and haggle saying "well they said i could have that for x amount a price, what can u offer ?" lol

laters,
supermorph

p.s one uk dude here lol

p.s.s also check earthing, as well buddy (just to be on the safe side)

Last edited by SUPERMORPH; 11th September, 2006 at 09:11 PM.