AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th December, 2005, 03:23 PM
Steve Jobs

128GB WinXP HDD limit?!?

I'm doing a build at the moment, and using an original copy of windows XP Pro, and for some reason I cannot make it format the full 320GB of the hard disk, only about 128GB is recognised.

It says it sees a 128GB partition, and tries to format it. If I delete the partition, it makes a new 128GB partition. I just dont get it? Im using NTFS, surely this shouldnt happen.

I have a 600GB hard disk (300X2) on my main machine, but it boots off a 60GB disk still. What is going on here?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2005, 03:28 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

It's a bug in XP - SP1 fixed it

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2005, 03:31 PM
Steve Jobs

That is the problem however. I cannot use SP1 or SP2 on this machine. That was one of the requirements for the build. Normally I would use a slipstream SP2 but it isn't possible.

Is there any way around it?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 29th December, 2005, 04:15 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I haven't found anything yet. You might be able to find something here I haven't checked it out yet.

I think almost everyone has at least SP1 installed. Out of curiosity - how come SP1 isn't wanted?

8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 29th December, 2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 29th December, 2005, 06:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Interesting link, thanks Favu!
Old 29th December, 2005, 06:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Will a DDO(Direct Disk Overlay) file work? They can be difficult to get rid of, but in this case one may be just the ticket.
Old 30th December, 2005, 05:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Quote:
What is 48-bit LBA?
48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) is a technology which extends the capacity of IDE ATA/ATAPI devices beyond a previous limit of 137.4 GB. This limit applies to IDE ATA/ATAPI devices only and not to SCSI interface devices. The original design specification for the ATA interface only provided 28-bits with which to address the devices. This meant that a hard disk could only have a maximum of 268,435,456 sectors of 512 bytes of data thus limiting the ATA interface to a maximum of 137.4 gigabytes. With 48-bit addressing the limit is 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes).

Are there any major issues with 48-bit LBA?
Unfortunately, yes. Some versions of Microsoft Windows do not support hard drives greater than 137 GB at all, other versions do but it may be necessary to update the operating system with the latest Service Pack and a parameter may need to be defined and set properly in the Windows registry. There's also an issue with the BIOS where it may be necessary to install a BIOS upgrade for your system in order for the system to work properly with the new hard drive. In many cases the average user may find that installing their new large hard drive is not as simple as just plugging it in and it just works. If you've reached this site then it may be that you've found that to be the case. This site is devoted to providing you the help you need for making your new hard drive work with your system.
http://www.48bitlba.com/

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 30th December, 2005, 05:36 AM
Steve Jobs

I can get away with SP1 it seams, but SP2 is completely out of the question. I found a really neat tool that I might upload to AOAFiles later for slipstreaming and customising an XP install with SP1 or SP2.

I was wondering why it didnt happen to me when I installed my Maxtor 10s but it must be because I used an SP2 OEM disk when I installed.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th December, 2005, 07:08 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Sure m8, just get the hdd in another rig that has XP and use a partitioning tool or disk management under windows and I think it'll work.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 30th December, 2005, 05:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

In days of old, the software that came from the HDD's manufacturer often included a DDO. As they were difficult to remove, I always used whatever version of Windows to set up the new hard drive.

I don't know if Direct Disk Overlay software is obtainable from the maker's of HDD's anymore. Dunno if it can handle monster drives, either. It's worth investigating.
Old 31st December, 2005, 04:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Have you looked at the site I linked to? This looks interesting.

Quote:
EnableBigLba Tool

EnableBigLba will test your system for EnableBigLba in the Windows registry on your system to determine whether it is defined or needs to be set for 48-bit LBA support. If EnableBigLba needs to be set, the tool does not do it automatically. It will give you the option to set it manually with a button.
http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 31st December, 2005, 10:10 PM

You might just have a third party (like Max Blast) partition and format your disk for windows.
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD
Old 31st December, 2005, 10:14 PM
AOA's resident barman

The problem I believe is that even if you format it before hand, Windows will still only see the first 128Gb

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 31st December, 2005, 10:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Paragon partition manager 7 can sort this out, i used it when i had exactly the same problem, i resized 2 partitions using it, it's not free though. I think it's about $60 and it will be able to resize that partition in less than 15 minutes. Very good program if you have the money to spare.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)