AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2006, 07:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Will not Boot on new setup

Hi all,
I really could just cry. After a long time building my hopes up of getting a better computer, it seems that now, the new components just don't like my face, or the new components don't like the drives. Here's the problem, it's exactly what i have sent to Epox support:

I recently ordered the following components:

Epox EP-9NPAJ SLI Mainboard
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket 939 90nm CPU
XFX 6200TC 64mb (Supporting 256mb) PCI-E Graphics card
Hiper Type-R 580W PSU

The problem I am having is that my hard disk (Seagate Barracuda ST3200826A) will not boot correctly into windows XP professional with SP2. I have installed all hardware components correctly and all drives are recognized correctly. However, after POST, a message appears on screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

However, upon trying to repair the the windows XP installation using the setup CD-ROM, the setup tries to load the file ‘setupdd.sys’ and then stops with an error code of 4 and will not progress further.

I am using the exact same hard drive mentioned above to write this email so it is obviously not faulty or damaged. I would like to know how I can resolve this problem as I have been waiting a long time to take advantage of a faster CPU. I thought that the problem may be my RAM. I have one module that is PC2700 256mb (which I got with my computer) and another module which is PC3200 256mb (which was bought separately). I have tried running the PC2700 module on it’s own in DIMM slot #1 on the Epox motherboard but there is simply no output on the monitor. If I try to run the PC3200 module in DIMM slot #1, the system boots up to the point where windows says it cannot load. I can also run both modules together, one in DIMM slot #1 and another in DIMM slot #2 or one module in DIMM slot #3 and the other module in DIMM slot #4.

But I cannot understand why the drive will not boot correctly.

Any help would be appreciated with this problem.

Thanks,
Scott Pritchard.

So what am i to do, go without a better computer? no way! I've waited for so damn long for this, just to find that it won't bloody work! why though? that is what i want to know!

So any help is really appreciated with this problem!

Thanks,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:03 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Windows will crash with a blue screen if you attempt to run it on another system than the one on which you first installed it. Swapping out too much hardware, especially using a different motherboard, causes it to blue-screen.

Install a fresh Windows when you change motherboards, it's the only way
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:08 PM

So are you saying that i am going to have to get rid of everything on my HD even though my version is a corporate edition (legal version bought a few years ago) because windows doesn't like me changing that much stuff?

Or is it possible for me to create new partitions on the same drive and set the current ones as inactive, then copy everything over to the new partitions?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:15 PM
AOA Staff

You should be able to install "over the top" of the existing Windoze installation. No need to wipe your applications and data, but you will need to reinstall most applications because the registry will be wiped when installing.

Yes, you could create another partition on that drive and install there.

I'd advise, chilling out and just reading up on installation on the MS website.

Don't forget to back-up data, email addresses and so on. (if it's not too late)
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:16 PM

Yes and yes. You can shrink existing NTFS partitions to allow you to create another one on which to install another Windows instance, otherwise stick a second drive in there if you have one. Applications will have to be reinstalled from CD, but your data should remain intact.

EDIT: forgot the backup health warning
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:20 PM

Right, i'm creating an NTFS partition temporarily, so i will have 3 partitions. I need to set the C partition as inactive, and the new partition as active. I just hope that i don't lose work that i've already done on the drive. I mean, i've got most of my content on 2 older drives, but not all. I'll give it a try anyway.

I did look at the MS website earlier, and i found that that code 4 thing means that there is hardware that is incompatible with XP or damaged. Hope that's not the case. Either way, i'll give it a try. Hopefully, i'll be back soon, wish me luck, i think i'll need it.

Old 11th January, 2006, 08:23 PM

"Damaged" in M$-speak means "not what you installed it on".

Whenever I'm building a new system, I keep a Knoppix disc handy to give the system the once over before I try installing an OS. Gets around all sorts of problems...
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:24 PM
AOA Staff

Just install it to the same location as before, but don't format or erase that partition when asked.

All your own folders will remain intact.

This is the usual way to do it.

I don't see any need to be setting up new partitions, unless you know of some good reason.
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:28 PM

I prefer to install Windows to a clean partition since I never trust it not to mess things up, nor to do a full install. In any event, installing on a clean partition means Scott has the ability to swap his HD back into the old system and tell us if it doesn't work.
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

IF you swap hardware and there are significant differences, you can have some problems. For example, the IDE controller may well be substantially different. If you had a previous driver for the IDE controller, then that may well load, and then get confused thus making the hard disk disappear during the boot process.

It is possible to swap hardware at a low level, but it does require a) stripping out ALL devices from Windows; b) a good dose of old fashioned luck.
Old 11th January, 2006, 08:43 PM
AOA Staff

I would normally use a fresh drive leaving the old one exactly as it was, since I know that I am bound to forget to back-up some tiny but important info!
Old 11th January, 2006, 09:26 PM

mabey if you have an external lying around transfer it all to that. Redo windows and then move it from the external back to windows. Never tried it on a large scale but I have done it with a flash drive.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 12th January, 2006, 04:20 PM

Well, i wiped the old 20Gb drive i had spare from my HD upgrade a few weeks ago. I then proceeded to try and install XP Pro, without success! I got the error 'Setup could not load setupdd.sys. Error code 4.'

I am really annoyed about it all because i've waited for so long to get something i could use to run better games and software, and it's also cost me £300+ and i can't even use them. I've got no money in my bank account so i can't even send them back because there is going to be a return charge. I wanted one thing, and i'm not even 'allowed' that! I just feel like giving up on it all and forgetting about it.

Old 12th January, 2006, 04:44 PM
AOA Staff

Ensure that the HDD is set-up correctly in the BIOS. Auto does not always cut it. Set the drive type manually to ensure that it is right.
Old 12th January, 2006, 05:07 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Have you tried a different OS disk? Perhaps yours is stratched/dirty?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 12th January, 2006, 06:11 PM

No, it's not the disk, the disk is fine. Could it be something to do with drivers such as NF4 chipset drivers? Or the AMD Athlon 64 / Sempron 64 drivers? I have run the chipset driver setup, it ran up to the point of 'InstallShield is preparing setup....' and so on. Then it gets to the end of the progress bar, and the setup quits. When i tried to install the Athlon 64 driver, it just said that there was no compatible processor on the system.

So, perhaps it's drivers, perhaps it's not. But i can not figure it out, the drive is IDE, i think it supports UDMA. There was one thing i noticed during POST, there was a message saying that there wasn't a base 80 (think it said base 80, it definately had 80 in the message) cable installed on the HDD. Don't know if that helps but i really want to get this working ASAP. Are you sure it isn't a problem with memory? You know, having 2 different modules and all?

Old 12th January, 2006, 06:23 PM
AOA Staff

You're confusing me. You said that it failed to install XP. Is XP installed or not?

You need to use a modern 80-conductor IDE cable, rather than some old 40-conductor cable.

I've attached an image which shows the difference. The "80" one is on top.

Mixing and matching memory modules on A64 systems is ill advised. Exactly which modules are you using?
Attached Thumbnails
Will not Boot on new setup-80_40.jpg  
Old 12th January, 2006, 06:50 PM

right, from the beginning:

I've got windows and all my files on a 200GB IDE hard drive. I've also got a 20GB IDE hard drive that has been wiped clean. I tried to install the 200GB into my new setup. That failed. I also tried to install the 20GB into my new setup. I then tried to install Windows XP on the 20GB hard drive but that failed.

Also, yes, it is 80-conductor cable, not base-80. i have got one of these on my HD.

Shall i try using the PC3200 256mb module on it's own in DIMM slot #1 and then try setting up windows on the 20Gb HD? Or won't that work for some mysterious reason?

Old 12th January, 2006, 07:01 PM
AOA Staff

You've got to use factory matched modules on A64. So, you may have to use 1 module if you don't have a matched pair.

Using unmatched memory may have caused all kinds of random type problems.

I would say start over again with just one memory module. Wipe the disk and format again.

If possible use the new 200GB drive rather than the older one.
Old 12th January, 2006, 08:53 PM

Ok, i'll try with one memory module, i just hope it works this time. I'll have to use the 20GB drive though as the 200GB drive is my only drive that's got all my files on and i cannot afford to lose them.