AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2006, 01:39 PM

xp pro boot problem

a littel over a week ago i was in AoA and my 3 month old system started booting over and over had to pull power to get it to stop.got it up in safemode rebooted and it was fine till i set restore to a saved restore point
then it all went s!#^ i attempted to reinstall win xp pro /win xp home/win ME then got win 98se to run in safemode.states win didnot finish loading when in anything but safemode. any ideas i worked on it for 3 days and the best i got was win 98 se in safemode?
asus p5gd1
P4 775 3.06 gh
nvida 6600 256
ddr400 pc3200 1gh
sata maxor 10 80gh
sata seagate baracuda 160gh
300 watt power
samsumg syncmaster 171
2 dvdr 1floppy ,the uglest case known to man....
Old 16th January, 2006, 02:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Are you overclocking at all?

You could try downloading memtest86 and writing it to a CD and then booting the machine from that CD. Memtest86 is designed to work the memory hard and discover problems with the memory.

Do you have any way of testing individual components out?

What brand is your PSU?
Old 16th January, 2006, 03:24 PM

thanks for the quick reply and advice. i am goingto overclock this sys once i get to know it better.the motherboard has 2 overclocking bios settings that overclock on load i had the sys set to manual at the time.i more or less came to the same conclution bad stick of ram everything else tested good.this is the first P4 sys i have put together was a AMD guy for years any chance my psu had anything to do with this crash?
Old 16th January, 2006, 03:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

OK, so there's no overclocking.

Have you tried running memtest86? That should highlight if it's a memory problem or not.

It is possible that your PSU might not be up to the task - do you have any further information on your PSU at all? For example the brand and the current it can provide on the various lines? There should be a sticker on it detailing how many amps it can provide on the different lines.
Old 21st January, 2006, 11:57 AM

PIP67,

Looking at your system spec I think you may be on the edge of what your power supply can cope with (2xHDD, 2xDVD and only 300 Watt) - Ive had this myself where a system seemed to do OK for a few months and then gives up - in my case just having a CD in the drive at boot time seemed to push it over the edge.

I suggest you test this by booting with a single hard drive and no CD/DVD in the DVD drives.

I suspect the Windows reboot issue is a manifestation of this as its sounds like its the boot process - which is disk intensive - together with cutting in graphics acceleration is pushing the system over the edge. Hence safe mode is OK.

If this doesn't help I'd also suggest you check bios monitoring settings for overheating as the bios itself can cause a power down or reboot if it senses things are getting too hot. Usually the bios will display the temperatures and let you set a threshold so check thats not on the edge as Windows will usually push that up by at least 5 degrees C.

I hope this helps.
Old 22nd January, 2006, 05:57 AM

A 300 watt power supply does sound low. Most psu's are not clean above 60-70% of rated power, so 300 watts is not much anymore. This sounds like an old psu. The newer mobos and processors need a lot more power at 5v and sometimes 12v than those that ran ok with 300 watts. Check the power requirements of the mobo manufacturer against the nameplate data on your psu. As a guess, 400-450 watts depending on individual amps@volts requirements might be needed.
Old 23rd January, 2006, 02:58 AM

Excellent Power Supplies O C Z

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...ws&cat_id=1040

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...ws&cat_id=1040
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcon56
I agree. I am using the OCZ Modstream 450 with great success. I also really like its 120mm bottom draw fan - nearly silent - always cool.