AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2006, 11:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

New Rig - Mostly DOA

i just picked up a new rig for $10. it came with a floppy drive, a 52x24x52x LG CD-RW burner, an ATI Rage 128, a 300 Watt PSU, and the Mobo is this by the looks of it http://www.asrock.com/product/M266A.htm

now, that's all well and good, but it doesn't work right. i plug in the PSU, the CPU fan starts right off the bat, no noise, but the power buttons don't work. Since this is the first Computer i've ever picked up that was damn near DOA that was outside of a class room, i'm coming to you guys for help cuz i can't go to a teacher

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2006, 11:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

First guess, either the CPU is fried or you have a bad BIOS flash.

Do the basics; remove everything from the mobo, then install ONLY the CPU/HSF and plug in the PSU. You'll need to hook up a speaker also. Turn the thing on. If the fans start spinning pull the cpu and try again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2006, 11:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

okay, everything was unplugged from the mobo, including the power switch, but the speaker, the CPU fan were still pluged in. i plugged the PSU in and the fan started. i never hit a power button

Old 26th January, 2006, 11:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

And with the CPU removed?
Old 26th January, 2006, 11:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Remember that some motherboards can be set to power up as soon as power is applied. It's typically a BIOS setting.

Did you get any beeps from the PC speaker when you powered the system up with only PSU/CPU/HSF and no RAM in place?
Old 26th January, 2006, 11:56 PM

Gizmo - i had the cpu plugged in.

Áedán - I never knew that. i got no beeps

Old 27th January, 2006, 12:15 AM

Gizmo - i just tried it with out the Cpu, same effect

Old 27th January, 2006, 01:52 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok. Just to make sure, pull the battery for the CMOS memory for about 60 seconds, and also set the CMOS clear jumper. Then reset the jumper, put the battery in, and try again without the CPU.
Old 27th January, 2006, 02:06 AM

i found the clear cmos thingy but it's not really a jumper it's just 2 solder points

EDIT: How do you figure out what chipset you have with out turning it on?

Old 27th January, 2006, 02:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you know what mobo it is, you can find out the chipset. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the HS/F on the north bridge.
Old 27th January, 2006, 03:09 AM

i scanned my mobo. the chip is a 1.5ghz but i can't make out more, there's black stuff on it.

EDIT: From what i can tell the ClearCMOS is merely two little solder spots just above the white fan power port thingy on the right side just to the right and down of the battery holder
Attached Thumbnails
New Rig - Mostly DOA-scanimage001.jpg  

Old 27th January, 2006, 03:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

The link you posted at the top of this thread indicates that it is a VIA P4M266A chipset. I <THINK> that is the VIA P4 version of the KT266 chipset they made for the Athlon XPs.

If you've had the battery out all this time, the CMOS should be clear by now whether you were able to set the jumper or not, so put the battery back in and try to power it up without the CPU.
Old 27th January, 2006, 04:12 AM

nope no change

Old 27th January, 2006, 06:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Then I've got to be suspicious of the mobo itself. With no functioning CPU and the CMOS settings cleared, that board shouldn't be powering up until you hit the 'on' button.
Old 27th January, 2006, 06:39 AM

what could the problem be? when i had it plugged into my Klingon Kase's PSU it would only power up if i plugged a button into it and turned it on. didn't make any beeps though

Old 27th January, 2006, 09:15 AM

Download the users manual from the link you posted and double check the front panel connections. When it starts automatically, does it post? So you can enter the BIOS. It should be the delete key on that board. Try using the integrated graphics instead of the card. Memory checks out okay? Try a known good processor.
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 27th January, 2006, 03:54 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcon56
Download the users manual
Always a good starting point!
Old 27th January, 2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Remember that some motherboards can be set to power up as soon as power is applied. It's typically a BIOS setting.

Did you get any beeps from the PC speaker when you powered the system up with only PSU/CPU/HSF and no RAM in place?
I'm aware some new Abit boards do this, though I'm not sure about others.
After clearing my CMOS, my PC switched on and began booting when I switched the PSU on, but I didn't press the Power On button.
After doing my usual BIOS settings, it doesn't do it anymore, so it may be a sort of fail-safe default or recovery thing.
This also goes to show how useful motherboard LED indicators can be. I think they have them on Foxconns, and they have ahd them on Abit boards for a while. It is basically a 2-digit LED that gives you information by flashing up certain numbers. Today this little feature told me I'd plugged my USB headers in wrong. if it hadn't of been there, I could have gone hours without knowing whatw as wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 27th January, 2006, 11:15 PM

okay, i've got weird results with my last test i put it through. i've got everything unplugged, i only plugged in the psu, and a speaker and the CPU fan. when it's in the psu that came with it it powers the fan automatically, but produces no beeps. however when i plug my power supply into the mobo i need a power button to turn it on. the fan goes, but i get no beeps. i'm using the pc speaker that is/was in my Klingon kase cuz i know that one works

Old 27th January, 2006, 11:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
okay, i've got weird results with my last test i put it through. i've got everything unplugged, i only plugged in the psu, and a speaker and the CPU fan. when it's in the psu that came with it it powers the fan automatically, but produces no beeps. however when i plug my power supply into the mobo i need a power button to turn it on. the fan goes, but i get no beeps. i'm using the pc speaker that is/was in my Klingon kase cuz i know that one works
Eh, what? I'm lost.

The previous test I had you do, where you pulled the CPU from the mobo; did you have to turn the mobo on with the switch, or did it come on all by itself as soon as you applied power to the PSU?