AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2006, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

this might be a big problem

I restarted my computer because i updated a program and before the cpu could restart it went to a black page that said"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/system. sounds real important and then under that is says'' you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom. and then it says "select 'r' at the first srceen to start repair. the program i was updating was an anti-virus program

if i put in the rebootable disk wont that erase my hard drive when i put it in?
this is the first time something even close to this has happened
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw
I restarted my computer because i updated a program and before the cpu could restart it went to a black page that said"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/system. sounds real important and then under that is says'' you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom. and then it says "select 'r' at the first srceen to start repair. the program i was updating was an anti-virus program

if i put in the rebootable disk wont that erase my hard drive when i put it in?
this is the first time something even close to this has happened
No, you can use the repair console and not lose your programs. BUT you will need to update XP again and some programs that may be dependent on those updates (MSN.net for instance) may not function correctly and might have to be reinstalled. Good Luck
EVGA 7800GTXs 512mb SLI @ 591/1.75ghz
Soundblaster Live X gamer
2x30gb Maxtor IDE Raid 0 System
160bg Maxtor IDE Storage
Westinghouse 32 in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2006, 07:21 AM

but how does something like this happen so can see to it that it doesn't happen again in the future
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 2nd February, 2006, 07:24 AM

dont i need a bootable windows cd right?
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 2nd February, 2006, 03:05 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Yes a windows bootable CD is required as it contains a fresh copy of the file you need. Once you've inserted the disc you should have the option to repair windows.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 2nd February, 2006, 03:42 PM
Banned

bonesaw,

When you get things running again, you might want to run Memtest and Prime95. This will stress your Ram and CPU to make sure something isn't failing or at least needs attention.
Cleaned out the case and heatsinks lately???

CoachB
Old 2nd February, 2006, 06:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
but how does something like this happen so can see to it that it doesn't happen again in the future
Here's the truth, this WILL happen again in the future. A good means of back up is the computer users ONLY friend! ":O}

This goes double for an overclocker, so two exclamation points!! Most people reinstall at lest twice a year. I've gone through periods of learning where I reinstall at lest once a week. You get more comfortable with the process as time goes on.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd February, 2006, 07:56 PM

Welcome to the Suck !!
Any changes to the system configuration such as upgrades,installs can break the system unintentionally. Just a fact of life , be prepared and archive/backup your important files. One other thing that could help is having System Restore under Windows XP ( if using that ) enabled and having restore points created everytime before you make any major installs /upgrades .

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd February, 2006, 08:48 PM

i coundn't repair the file. maybe i did something wrong, probly. but now there are to windows xps on my computer. I can see all the old **** i had and want to keep but it don't work. and the new xp sucks no udates no drivers at all and a little buggy. is there any way to get back to my original os without formatting the drive and can i get rid of the new os and go back the old one to fix it?
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 6th February, 2006, 07:27 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What bonesaw asks may be possible. If so, please let him know how to do it. Thank you!
Old 6th February, 2006, 07:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
i coundn't repair the file. maybe i did something wrong, probly. but now there are to windows xps on my computer. I can see all the old **** i had and want to keep but it don't work. and the new xp sucks no udates no drivers at all and a little buggy. is there any way to get back to my original os without formatting the drive and can i get rid of the new os and go back the old one to fix it?
When you boot up, does Windows ask you which installation you'd like to boot into?
Old 6th February, 2006, 09:01 PM

I've nevr had windows repair work, but I have gotten that messages a few times, I hit the restart buton and it happend two times more and then stoped, it hasn't heppend since.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 7th February, 2006, 12:39 AM

problem fixed i just bought a 300gb hard drive and started over from scratch everything works perfect (accept battlefield2) but one thing i messed up is i thing i installed windows twice because everytime i turn my computer on it asks me what os i want to us and they are both xp and when the timer goes off it loads the first one and works good. i hope this isn't a problem
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Old 7th February, 2006, 05:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
problem fixed i just bought a 300gb hard drive and started over from scratch everything works perfect (accept battlefield2) but one thing i messed up is i thing i installed windows twice because everytime i turn my computer on it asks me what os i want to us and they are both xp and when the timer goes off it loads the first one and works good. i hope this isn't a problem
That's not a problem at all. It has to do with the way windows sets up how it boots. Insisting that it be the first OS. If you had a dual boot system it would show the same menu with your other distro under it. I always use FDISK and repartition the drive befor setting it up.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 11th February, 2006, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Daishi Send a message via MSN to Daishi

if you go to start>run>msconfig>boot.ini then click check all boot paths and hit ok or yes and then hit apply and it should get rid of the extra windows xp selection upon bootup if u just reformated.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
eVGA Nforce 4 SLI Mobo
1GB Corsair XMS Pc3200
2x WD Raptors in Raid 0
eVGA Geforce 7800 GT x2
Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech z-5500