AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2006, 06:33 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

8RDA+ Passed away in the night :( I think

Hi ppl,

After 2+ years of faithful service my Epox 8RDA+ has died I left my rig on folding overnight, when i woke in the morning my pc was off (strange i thought) so i turned it back on, nothing. I could hear the fan on the psu spinning but that was it, no hdd activity or any case fans working. Oh dear i thought. Made myself a cuppa and started to think what could be the problem. while i was making T i heard the pc fire up. About 5 mins after pressing the button it comes on for about 10 seconds then turns off again. Then 5ish mins later it does exactly the same thing.

So i took the side off the case, checked all the connections on everything, all seamed ok. So i totally stripped the guts out of my case, checked the mobo (all looked fine, no bad caps or burn marks)

Put in the mobo and just connected up the power supply,cpu,HSF and 1 stick of ram to see if anything was going to happen- It was still dead as a dodo.
After about 20 seconds the south bridge started to get very hot(i could have fried an egg on it!) so i figured it was the southbridge that had gone bang!

After much uming and arring i thought the only way forward was to buy a new mobo, I couldnt get online to ask some of you clever people what the problem was and i had a TMA for the OU that needed to be in tonight, I was pulling my hair out.

I went to my local pc shop and picked up a ASUS A7V600-X for £45, I dont know if that is a good deal or not ive got to check up on the net later. After putting it in and reinstalling afew drivers it worked fine

So it is with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye that i have to say goodbye to my Epox

From what i have said can anyone throw some light on my mobo problem? Is there anyway of fixing it? Could i RMA it? I'd like to get it back up and working if poss.
Old 26th February, 2006, 07:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm sorry about your loss. AFAIK, the m'board is replaceable for only one year after purchase, glad you are up and running.
Old 26th February, 2006, 09:26 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Yes 1 year is all they give you!

Would this have been caused by overclocking? when it died it was running v-core of 1.776.
Old 26th February, 2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
Yes 1 year is all they give you!

Would this have been caused by overclocking? when it died it was running v-core of 1.776.
Southbridges of nforce2 mobos don't usually get damaged because of overclocking and 1.776v vcore isn't that much. The southbridge of the board you bought now might if you go in higher PCI/AGP frequencies for a long time. It has a VIA chipset.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2006, 09:40 PM

Any ideas of what can cause the southbridge to go then?

TBH i'm not that taken by the new mobo, sure it all works fine but its a sandy colour, the last 1 was green.

And boy do i love green.
Old 26th February, 2006, 09:46 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

My VIA chipset severly limits my OC ability, I should have gotten an nForce2 instead. But the VIA came with more bells and whistles

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2006, 10:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Perhaps there was a power surge in the night? That may explain the southbridge. Or perhaps it's this 'bad voltage' that everyone goes on about. just a question, was the southbridge bubbling? I know people who this has happened to (!!!).

Sorry to hear of your loss, i sure hope that i don't lose mine the same way, well i hope i don't lose it at all. Epox are brilliant boards, although asus are as well, i hate sandy colours, unless it's on a beach filled with loads of ladies, in some far away land. ~~~Dream sequence~~~

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 27th February, 2006, 06:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Beaches, nice visual in the winter. I like Asus too, but their color is too much like peanut brittle, gag.
Old 27th February, 2006, 07:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
Any ideas of what can cause the southbridge to go then?

TBH i'm not that taken by the new mobo, sure it all works fine but its a sandy colour, the last 1 was green.

And boy do i love green.
Heat would be my first guess. The NF2 south bridge runs quite toasty on most mobos (I noted this fact a couple of years ago, and even posted a little how-to on addressing it. It really should have had a heat sink put on it, IMHO, but since the warranty was a year, that means the mobo was only designed to last that long, and heat sinks are an additional expense.
Old 28th February, 2006, 12:02 PM

@skool h8r: Nar, no bubbling to be seen, just very very very hot

@cloasters: peanut brittel, gag. LOL

@Gizmo: I had thought about putting a heat sink on it b4, but i guess thats what happens when you get waylaid, But never mind.

I did have a xp3000+ originally, but swapped it with a friend for his 2200+ cos the 3000+ didnt work on my epox board properly (would not run at 166 fsb) maybe its time to try the 3000 on this new board.

If those VIA chipset are that bad i dont think i will try that much oc'in with this new board.
Old 28th February, 2006, 12:05 PM

OH BTW, If this board is well and truly dead, which i think it might be.
All of the caps on the board are fine, no leaking or buldges. If anyone wants them just let me know.