AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2006, 12:01 AM

Rather Serious Crash, HDD not there.

Hello.

As you can see, this is my first post on these forums, but it seems you guys are the right people to get help from when it comes to strange computer problems.

Well my computer problem is certainly strange.

I was using the computer tonight and suddenly it locked up (sound loop kind of hard lockup). When I rebooted the computer it gave me the message "Checksum Failed: Loading Defaults", which was odd. But then it got even worse, it loaded the next screen when I pressed F1 to continue and it said some info about Nforce raid scan untility then told me I had no SATA drive.

I went into the BIOS and sure enough the SATA HDD is not listed and won't even be detected.

I have no idea why it would suddenly do this and I'm sure its not a HDD failure as it still powers up (although no activity light), and it was a bit too sudden.

Now everytime I load the computer up it just skips the whole start information and tried to boot from the DVD drives (the only things it can see).

The motherboard is an Nforce 4 GA-K8NF-9 and some 120Gb SATA drive.

Any help as to what has happened would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 28th February, 2006, 12:14 AM
AOA Staff

How many SATA controllers does that board have?

Perhaps you could try the HD on another controller (if it has more than 1) or in another machine.
Old 28th February, 2006, 01:09 AM

If you've only got one drive then AFIK the RAID config should be disabled - the scanning utility sounds as if its not.

I suggest you load the failsafe defaults and check that the SATA controllers are enabled but the RAID isn't.

I've had this sort of thing happen when I've tripped the power supply - a bios reset (power down, battery out and insert a reset jumper for a minute)
has got things back to normality.
Old 3rd March, 2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Check the cables to the HDD and mobo....both power and data. I had a Maxtor PATA harddrive that had a "wiggily" power connector that would work loose over time. The drive would just disappear sometimes. Very disconcerting when it first happened.

Good Luck!

CoachB