AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2006, 04:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Epox 8RDA3 Post Codes "19" & "FF"

recently my brother's computer stopped being able to boot. he has the board in the title of this post, and is getting two post codes. the first code "19" when he turns on the powersupply, the computer turns on, gives this code. then it starts the hi-low beeping, so the power button is held for a few seconds until the computer is supposed to shut off, except only the lights go out, but all the fans keep running. when the lights go out, it gives the post code "FF". the cpu isnt overheating since the HS is cold to the touch with the smartfan2 on it. weve tried reseating everything and swapping to a different powersupply, still no luck.

my guess is that the board died. anyone have any other ideas?

edit: with an alternate psu, it gives the a post code of "25" the manual dosent elaborate on what this means
edit2: unpluging the 20pin and 4pin cables from the board and switching on the psu still powers on the system, it isnt supposed to do that, right?

Last edited by RussianMissile1; 5th March, 2006 at 04:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2006, 04:39 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

You could check the caps and components for really obvious damage, I guess.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2006, 04:50 AM
Member/Contributer

no really obvious damage or burn marks, but another interesting observation...
the vga silencer fan dosent spin when the computer is turned on. could a dead video card fan be stopping the boot process?
Old 5th March, 2006, 05:03 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Wip it out and see if the board gives other error codes.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 5th March, 2006, 07:45 AM
Member/Contributer

replaced the vid card with an older ati radeon 7000, it now gives the code "6D". tried swapping hard drives and keyboards to get it to boot, but no luck yet.
the description for the 6d code says:
1. assign resources to all ISA PnP devices
2. auto assign ports to onboard COM ports if the corresponding item in setup is set to "auto"

im not surew what any of that means

but i cant get into the bios because the keyboard turns off after i get the POST "beep" from the computer.
Old 5th March, 2006, 11:09 AM

Did you try a bios reset ?
Old 8th March, 2006, 02:20 AM
Member/Contributer

resetting the cmos was the first thing i did.

basically what i did was i replaced all the innards of the computer to get it working again. (only the cd drives and the case stayed the same)

i still have a sneaking suspicion that the epox mobo still works, but as im not at home anymore, i cant try that.
Old 9th March, 2006, 06:31 AM

Sounds like you were on the right track. best way to procede is to disconnect everything except 1 ram stick, CPU (and heatsink/fan of course) and the video card. This leaves you just the barest minimum to test the borad. You already cleared the CMOS - prolly don't have to tell anyone around here to do that - so I would at that point swap out each of the remaining components including the power supply AND even the CMOS battery - until the thing boots. Believe it or not a run down CMOS battery can cause all sorts of weird things on some boards.

AOA Team fah