AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th April, 2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

2nd motherboard/CPU dead

Ok...now I'm right royally annoyed...

I recently had an issue with my AMD A64 3200+/Epox 8KDA3J ....playing a computer game..the screen went blank..I wasn't able to restart and was only every presented with a blank screen..

From the diagnostics on my mobo it said that my CPU was gone...and I did a full diagnostic..ie running with only a vid card & RAM, running the mobo outside of the case, re-seating all components, replacing the AGP video card.

Fine ..fair enough, so I go out and buy the following components:

New 400W PSU
Intel P4 D805
Asus P5ND2-SLI Motherboard
512mb DDR2 (533mhz)
Sparkle 128mb 6600GT PCIe

After running for a few hours I was receiving BSODs in Windows and the occasionally BSOD on boot..fair enough..new CPU/hardware = new windows install..

Shortly after the above happened my new PC combination did exactly the same..black screen..no boot..nada. I left it for 30 mins and it was fine but still unstable...left for work today doing a backup so I could reinstall windows...got home and the system was dead, no display, no nothing.

Now then..the ONLY things that are the same between the two systems are as follows:

2xWD 200gb IDE HDDs
1xWD 120gb SATA 1.5gb HDD
Liteon 16x DVDR
Case
Chassis fans

I will be taking the computer back to the repair shop to see if they can think of anything but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why the above is happening???
Old 12th April, 2006, 12:10 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Is the PSU brand-name? If it's a cheap one, it can be that it isn't up to the job - dual core Pentium 4s are extremely power-hungry.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

Ok, I just left the computer off for an hour..BAM it's back online...

But I'm not counting my chickens till they hatch as they say

will let it run overnight...

This PSU is a generic one, but the previous one was an Antec Smart Power 350w....

This problem truly has me scratching my head and now I'm wondering if I hook up my old system if it will work ..mind you with that one I left it off for a day and no change.

Last edited by membreya; 12th April, 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

hmmm just playing around in the BIOS ..well resetting it really since I cleared it..looking at PC Health:

Vcore Voltage = 1.24V
3.3V = 3.24V
5V = 5.10V
12V = 12.03V

Would any of the above affect the computer adversely?
Old 12th April, 2006, 01:04 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Antec PSU's are always a problem and the generics are not great either.
That might be your problem. Do you have a better quality PSU that you can borrow to see if it help?
Old 12th April, 2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

Don't have a PSU I can borrow ..odd thing is the Antec PSU ran my AMD64 rig for 2 years without a hitch.

I would buy a better quality PSU but I have just forked out just over $600AUD for my new equipment so it's going to be a good month before I can buy anything else
Old 12th April, 2006, 03:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, membreya!

In days of old choosing a power supply was almost an afterthought. We got away with it because the components weren't gluttons for power. Nowadays it's much better to choose and pay for a PSU before anything else. Expensive? Oh yes. Sigh.
Old 12th April, 2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

hmmm ok ...well ran a little test...since I couldn't get my system to load properly ..ie constant reboots or lock-ups.. I left it on the PC health screen of my BIOS for the past 8 hours. and it ran perfectly.

Just wondering if my system is trying to pull too much juice from the PSU? (3 hdds, 1dvdr, PCIe vid card, cpu fan, 2x120mm chassis fans)
Old 12th April, 2006, 10:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Maybe you could run prime 95 or other "heavy load" programs to test it for stability?

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 12th April, 2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Maybe you could run prime 95 or other "heavy load" programs to test it for stability?
As much as I would love to ..it's not loading windows at all now.just BSODs and reboots or hardlocks.

I'm going to run my computer while I'm @ work and see if it's still going tonight (will leave it on the BIOS PC Health screen)

The other thought I've had is to remove all drives except the primary IDE
Old 12th April, 2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Welcome to AOA Forums, membreya!
Thanks After my PC is up and running again I will purchase a 1 year subscription here....loving this site so far

Very helpful, very informative and there's no elitist geeks that make you feel like an idiot because you don't know every little iota about computer

Old 12th April, 2006, 10:40 PM
AOA's resident barman

Quote:
Originally Posted by membreya
As much as I would love to ..it's not loading windows at all now.just BSODs and reboots or hardlocks.

I'm going to run my computer while I'm @ work and see if it's still going tonight (will leave it on the BIOS PC Health screen)

The other thought I've had is to remove all drives except the primary IDE
The BIOS screen isn't going to put any load on your hardware, so it's not really useful to use it to test for anything. If you're not getting into windows, then I suggest you take everything you don't totally need out of the system, IE any addition HDD and DVDroms, lights, extra fans and such. Bascially just to see if you can get it to boot up into the OS at all.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 13th April, 2006, 02:29 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Download and run memtest. You can get it here. It will burn to a cd. You'll have to boot the cd and let it run overnight. (or while your off to work) It will test your memory in your computer.

Report back to use when your done.
hth
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 13th April, 2006, 10:05 AM
Banned

Ok, well got home after 11 hours..PC was still running in the PC Health screen...shut down and made sure that the only things connected were the CPU fan and the DVDR...

no boot I'm sure if I leave it for 30 mins - 1 hour it will load again.

oh ..and just signed on for a month-by-month subscription to this site
Old 13th April, 2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Download and run memtest. You can get it here. It will burn to a cd. You'll have to boot the cd and let it run overnight. (or while your off to work) It will test your memory in your computer.

Report back to use when your done.
hth
Ok, I'm getting somewhere..finally..just took the new motherboard out of my case and I'm running everything on the desk..so far, so good (still not able to load windows but I can at least boot the memtest CD)

I've run the memtest and from the get-go it's error....Is this normal on an entirely new stick of memory?? Errors after 2 minutes of running 57k and growing.

But at least this solves the problem..I'm going to dig my athlon 64 out of the bin and retry it outside the case..now HOW to determine where the case shorting is coming from...

Oh and Robbie..just how long should I run memtest for ? and will it matter if it's being run off a CD?

EDIT: Spoke too soon, system still refuses to boot 8/10 times

Last edited by membreya; 13th April, 2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 13th April, 2006, 01:47 PM
AOA's resident barman

What sort of CPU Heatsink are you using, and what sort of thermal paste? Also, it's not a good sign if you get errors in memtest, try changing the RAM and seeing if it will go without errors. I'm sure you will sort it out in the end

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 13th April, 2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Stock HS/CPU for the P4D..thermal paste comes in a compound on the bottom of the HS with specific instructions stating "DO NOT TOUCH" ..hence it has no additional paste Though running the computer all day today the CPU temp never rose higher than 38degrees....

As for replacement RAM, I can TRY and find a place open tomorrow (good friday) The stick I have in it at the moment is 512mb DDR 533mhz (generic brand bought brand new) If it continues to give errors and a new a new stick of RAM gives errors .... I think I will find a nice window to throw my computer through.

At least the system isn't crashing or locking while running memtest (4 hours now) Is there any other DOS based apps to do burn-in tests with?
Old 13th April, 2006, 02:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

No, you should not get errors.

It could be bad RAM or a bad CPU (since the CPU has cache that is being tested in memtest.)

I once cracked a core on an AMD cpu, and it would still get into the BIOS but not boot into windows. Does it give you any error codes when it doesn't post?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 13th April, 2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
No, you should not get errors.

It could be bad RAM or a bad CPU (since the CPU has cache that is being tested in memtest.)

I once cracked a core on an AMD cpu, and it would still get into the BIOS but not boot into windows. Does it give you any error codes when it doesn't post?
When I say it doesn't POST I mean it literally.. all I get is a black screen..but since I don't have a PC Speaker (nfi why my system didn't come with one) it's hard to diagnose beeps. As I stated above however, it will boot most of the time but not into windows. When I got all the new components about 2 days ago it was working perfectly for about 4 hours then it nosedived.

As for memtest, all the errors are appearing on the DDR2 (ie it's scanning from 0k to 512mb)
Old 13th April, 2006, 03:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sounds like you either have a bad board, bad mem or a bad cpu. Can you swap any of those and test again with memtest?
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah