AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 1st May, 2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Wasn't there a thread here a little while ago about Zonealarm spying on you?
Ya but I think that was more of an error and they fixed it. Something about the way it monitered the prgograms could be acessed.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st May, 2006, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Try this

Del %SystemRoot%\*.* /s

24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st May, 2006, 11:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They denied it and promised they had fixed it!
(No, you just can't make this stuff up!) ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd May, 2006, 03:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

ookey, first if u think typing winblows instead of windows is trashing... i dont know what to say to you. and to let you know, i tried linux, i didnt like it, plus its a pain in the ass to get linux to work with the screwy university network im on, since they assume most everyone is windows or mac.

lets see...
i tried 3 different spyware remover progs just to be sure i got everything, all that gave me was a bunch of cookies, which are harmless afaik
security center says the service isnt running, pops up a dialog to start it, i click yes, firewall settings pop up, theyre still all greyed out.

i tried disabling/re-enabling the service, its set to turn on, but it dosent.

sooo ill try to filter through the "omg switch to linux its uber" and see if any of the suggestions work.

btw no offense to you or to linux :P
Old 2nd May, 2006, 04:00 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I guess linux pwd's you!!!
Sorry for your troubles my friend. Looks like you may have picked up something nasty.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd May, 2006, 04:17 AM
Member/Contributer

RussianMissle1 have a look at a couple of these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914230/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892199/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892504/en-us

Do you or have you used symantic?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308324/en-us

BTW xmetrix
I have had windows xp sp2 running for 6 months 24/7 without a problem (until the PSU stuffed the install last week). The only time it was rebooted was after updates, and once with a bios issue due to a power failure while upgrading the bios. I still do not like Microsoft, and I am currently doing my best in regards to completly changing to linux. I just have to convince my finace she can do everything in linux that she does in windows.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 2nd May, 2006, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Well to each his own. Personally I prefer windows. I like the speed and consistency it provides. I do web design, programming, 3d modeling and animation, film, and more. So I really need a system that's going to be dependable and stable as possible. That's why I use windows. Never have to mess with drivers or bios updates because there are no conflicts with any of the hardware choices I have made. Perhaps Windows just isn't for everybody. Too many people made uneducated computer purchases and windows ended up being blamed the culprit for user noobism. Anyhow, I hope you're a speed reader or look to the pasttime when typing thousands of keystrokes just to get your computer to do something makes you look,seem,feel elite. I'm sorry but I just don't see how spending hours upon hours rtfm'ing could be considered productive. I also hate the linux community because god forbid you ask a linux guru for help with a specific question. All the answers are in the form of a flame such as, OMFG WTF BBQ!, RTFM NoOB! If it's not that, then people assume things and give you totally different answers which are usualy so convoluted that your head spins. Try jumping into a linux community and ask simple questions such as

How do I get my network card to pull an ip?
How do I check my ip configuration?
How do I get online using my router's connection?

I garuantee you'll be greeted with a headache and assumptions. First a few flames while the other linux god's laugh at your infantile abilites. Second, they usually won't ask specifics regarding your distro or hardware and just suggest you rtfm @ the distro's site, which consist of a million link which seem to all loop back to the same damn page that doesn't offer any help. Third, if you do find the answer such as someone posts, "try ifconfig eth0 up" and for some reason it's still not working, prepare for an adventure in googling dead forum threads where you find the same exact question posted by another newbie, clearly obvious his level of frustration is close to that of your own, only to find out that he received 3 followup flames, 2 suggestions that assumed ****, and a last post that suggests that "this link" has the fix. So you click "this link" and behold, 404. YAY! I love linux.

NOT!

BTW FYI JSYK: This post was posted in a light, cheerful tone. So don't take it as slander, unless you love linux, in which case, take it as such.
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Old 2nd May, 2006, 04:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
i tried disabling/re-enabling the service, its set to turn on, but it dosent.

sooo ill try to filter through the "omg switch to linux its uber" and see if any of the suggestions work.
What's in the Event Log? If a service fails to start, then it should be logged in one of the the event logs - you can find them in CP->Admin Tools -> Event Viewer.
Old 3rd May, 2006, 03:09 AM
Member/Contributer

The idea and community behind Windows is great. The installer, automatic mounting of hard drives, etc is well done, and even the GUI isn't to bad.

I don't like the way MS rams certain half finished programs down your throat like IE, MSN (messenger + browser), media player, etc. Especially as they can't be removed and IE has to be used for the update site.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 3rd May, 2006, 03:24 PM

Microsoft may not be everyones favourite company, but saying Windows is rubbish is just plain idiotic and foolish.
They do do some funny things, but designing an OS that fits everyones tastes would be impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 3rd May, 2006, 05:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Microsoft may not be everyones favourite company, but saying Windows is rubbish is just plain idiotic and foolish.
They do do some funny things, but designing an OS that fits everyones tastes would be impossible.
Windows does exactly what it is designed to do: make money.

The truth of the matter is, Windows isn't to bad of a product; if Linux were to work and provide the same level of functionality that Windows does, the world would think it was a great product. Their are, IMHO, two basic reasons that people love to rag on Windows:
1) We can't see the source. We haven't got a clue what's going on in Windows when it breaks, which it does quite regularly, most often (according to Microsoft) due to something stupid in a dodgy device driver. As a result, Windows gets the rap when in fact the problem is caused by the 10-year-old who wrote the drivers for the "Uncle Bob's Used Car and Ethernet Card Emporium" NIC that was installed in the computer.
2) Microsoft's 'Screw the Customer' attitude.
Old 3rd May, 2006, 05:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Over and over charging doesn't help their image one bit!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd May, 2006, 07:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Over and over charging doesn't help their image one bit!
That would be covered under the "Microsoft's 'Screw the customer' attitude" comment.
Old 3rd May, 2006, 08:43 PM

Pricing structures at microsoft seem fair to me. All the licensing and what not. But then again I live in Southern California so I don't have to pay the bloated prices you'd find everywhere else. $69 for a legit xp home sp2 upgrade, $99 for pro upgrade. Pricing on their server software seems fair as well. I've purchased 2000 advanced server, 2003 standard, 2003 small business server, and have been content with the quality (0 driver issues, 0 incompabilities), as well as the customer service (top notch, if you don't mind the accent). It bothers me when people say they hate their customer service, yet when you call, they're always more than helpful and try harder than most of the other companies out there to please you.
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Old 3rd May, 2006, 10:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmetrix
Pricing structures at microsoft seem fair to me. All the licensing and what not.
Really? Hmmm........let me lay this one on you:

Microsoft has a team of roughly 2,000 working on Vista at last count.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that all of those people have been working on Vista for the last 4 years (they haven't, but we'll assume they have). Now, lets assume that all of those people make $100,000/year (most of them make a good deal less than that, but we'll assume they all got a pay raise). 2000*$100,000,000 = $200,000,000 * 4 years = $800,000,000.

Microsoft's profit last QUARTER was US $2.9 Bn. Assuming only half of that profit was generated from Windows, that still means that roughly 2 months of profit from the sale of Vista will have completely paid for the last 4 years of development. Anything after that is gravy. MS could cut the cost of a new copy of Windows in HALF and STILL make boatloads of money.

BTW, the costs you quote are for upgrades, NOT new copies. A FULL RETAIL copy of WindowsXP Home is $200. And XP Home is the CHEAP version of Windows.

To be able to upgrade, you have to have the original disk, and not all previous versions are eligible for upgrades; in particular I don't think you can upgrade an OEM version to a retail version. Further, OEM versions (which are the cheap ones) can't be reinstalled on different hardware, even if that different hardware is the same computer with a replacement mobo from the SAME VENDOR.

And leave us not forget the strong-arm tactics that Microsoft has used on computer resellers in the past; Pay us a license fee on every machine you sell, regardless of OS, or we'll make sure the only way you can buy Windows is to pay full retail price.

Nor should we forget the pressure they have put on developers; I was privy to a conversation many years ago between MS and a hardware vendor; at the time MS and Borland were duking it out in the compiler market, and Borland had what was arguably the better package. This vendor supported both MS and Borland, and paid about 25K/year in support contracts to both of them. MS told the vendor "Hey, we'll GIVE you support, if you'll drop support for Borland in your products". Borland couldn't afford to match the MS offer, because Borland didn't have the sales of an overpriced OS to finance them. The rest is history.

And what about innovation? Microsoft claims to be the company of innovation, but can you point me to one single SUCCESSFUL product that is in the MS portfolio that was actually CREATED by MS (and not either bought or stolen from another company AFTER the market was established)?

THIS is what I am talking about when I refer to Microsoft's "Screw the customer" attitude. Sure, they generally use a lot of vaseline to make the experience less unpleasant, but it doesn't change the fact that we are being bent over, and WE paid for the vaseline!
Old 4th May, 2006, 02:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
And what about innovation? Microsoft claims to be the company of innovation, but can you point me to one single SUCCESSFUL product that is in the MS portfolio that was actually CREATED by MS (and not either bought or stolen from another company AFTER the market was established)?
Microsoft BOB, of course!
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:32 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Microsoft Windows is an OK product. It could be much better however it won't ever have the stability of a Mac simply because of the lack of control over hardware used.

However the business practices of Bill Gates is what makes it an Evil Entity. Back in the days of MS DOS Bill Gates said that any OEM that used his product must pay for a licesne for every computer they build. Not every computer that uses it but every computer they build. So all of those IBM computers sold with OS2 installed also had to pay for MS DOS. Then later MS Windows. Congress finally put an end to this as an unfair business practice. However MS has an effective Monopoly and can charge what it will for the average user. Sure servers can run Linux and Unix on a server with an IT department, but for the home user MS Windows is it.

And Bill Gates is no better than JD Rockafeller. Maybe even worse because you can put anybodys refines oil in your tank and get the same results. However you can not put anybody's OS on your computer and get the same results.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:37 AM
Member/Contributer

hm, ok, just fiddled around with a few of the services that are listed as "dependencies" in the services window thing, one of which was set to disabled. setting it to enabled and restarting didnt fix the problem.

going to try the 1st microsoft support link Mr. noob posted. that seems to be the problem im getting.\

and no, im not trying zonealarm or any other prog other than mcafee which imo is the best out of all since it only pops something up if its either a update or a virus (and it dosent minimize my oh-so important game in the process)
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Microsoft Windows is an OK product. It could be much better however it won't ever have the stability of a Mac simply because of the lack of control over hardware used.
'stability' and 'mac' dont go together in my experience.
back in highschool in my web design class i had 3 or 4 programs open:dreamweaver, flash, internet browser and the image program (photoshop or something).

not "open" but minimized to the.... whatever its called, not open on my screen basically.

very often i would lose around half a day's worth of work when i try to get it to save, it would lock up and just sit there. only thing that would keep it from sitting there is the reset button on it that you can only reach with the tip of a pencil. and just to let you know, i was working on the only G4? (whatever the newest model was around 2003-2004ish) in the class.

some bashing on macs should go along with some windows bashing too lol: i got a bsod, and only once i restarted the computer for the third time did it actually notice by popping up the send error report thing, that a bsod had occured. :P

well back to my original point...

so far all ive done has resulted in.... nothing

i guess i can wait a month and a half to where i can get back home and reformat so i can fix all this. i havent reformatted since i got the drive about 1.5 years ago so i think its about time heh.
Old 4th May, 2006, 06:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Really? Hmmm........let me lay this one on you:

Microsoft has a team of roughly 2,000 working on Vista at last count.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that all of those people have been working on Vista for the last 4 years (they haven't, but we'll assume they have). Now, lets assume that all of those people make $100,000/year (most of them make a good deal less than that, but we'll assume they all got a pay raise). 2000*$100,000,000 = $200,000,000 * 4 years = $800,000,000.

Microsoft's profit last QUARTER was US $2.9 Bn. Assuming only half of that profit was generated from Windows, that still means that roughly 2 months of profit from the sale of Vista will have completely paid for the last 4 years of development. Anything after that is gravy. MS could cut the cost of a new copy of Windows in HALF and STILL make boatloads of money.

BTW, the costs you quote are for upgrades, NOT new copies. A FULL RETAIL copy of WindowsXP Home is $200. And XP Home is the CHEAP version of Windows.

To be able to upgrade, you have to have the original disk, and not all previous versions are eligible for upgrades; in particular I don't think you can upgrade an OEM version to a retail version. Further, OEM versions (which are the cheap ones) can't be reinstalled on different hardware, even if that different hardware is the same computer with a replacement mobo from the SAME VENDOR.

And leave us not forget the strong-arm tactics that Microsoft has used on computer resellers in the past; Pay us a license fee on every machine you sell, regardless of OS, or we'll make sure the only way you can buy Windows is to pay full retail price.

Nor should we forget the pressure they have put on developers; I was privy to a conversation many years ago between MS and a hardware vendor; at the time MS and Borland were duking it out in the compiler market, and Borland had what was arguably the better package. This vendor supported both MS and Borland, and paid about 25K/year in support contracts to both of them. MS told the vendor "Hey, we'll GIVE you support, if you'll drop support for Borland in your products". Borland couldn't afford to match the MS offer, because Borland didn't have the sales of an overpriced OS to finance them. The rest is history.

THIS is what I am talking about when I refer to Microsoft's "Screw the customer" attitude. Sure, they generally use a lot of vaseline to make the experience less unpleasant, but it doesn't change the fact that we are being bent over, and WE paid for the vaseline!
Naturally all this is implyed and summed up by...
"Over and over charging doesn't help their image one bit!" LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur