AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30th April, 2006, 05:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Winblows XP Firewall

well i noticed today that its set to "Off" but the options to set it to "On" are greyed out.

running win xp sp2 all recent updates.

the firewall service is set to turn on with the computer but yet it dosent turn on when i start up. dont know what else to do.
Old 30th April, 2006, 05:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

Love the avatar

Have you checked the event log to see if the service is failing?

Also what does the security centre tell you and does it let you try and turn it on? Have you ran a spyware scan on your PC?
Old 30th April, 2006, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Switch to linux. It's more suited for people who love to diss windows. Or go to microsoft's website. Many people don't hesitate to diss and trash Microsoft and call it M$ Winblows. It's the software thats stupid right, not you? (nick burns from SNL).

Here are some things you can check to see if there's a problem

from cmd.. type Netsh firewall show config
check the windows firewall logging file (if its set to log, probably not but hey most people don't think windows is unstable because it's inheirently crap, rather than not properly configured)
in which case try start > run > firewall.cpl and click the last tab and click defaults.
Also you can try going into start > run > wscui.cpl and click the option to monitor the firewall yourself. Then click ok, go back into it, uncheck it, and click Enable Now, on the recommendation dialog.
check start > run > services.msc to assure its automatic startup and that its started
check the event viewer start > run > eventvwr

Then again these may be beyond the scope of a point and click fix, but it's not like linux has any real point and click fixes now huh.

You can also check your LSP to assure there's no screwed up hijacker loaded in there, google lspfix.exe it's the first link. Another thing you can do is disable the firewall in the services folder if its not already, and then rebuild your tcp stack. after you do that you can go to windows update (if you're using a legit version, if your not, you should format), and get the latest updates. You should be able to reactive it. If it's still not working. just buy a router and block wan requests, disable dmz, and don't worry about it.
24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3

Last edited by xmetrix; 30th April, 2006 at 10:58 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

How is that helpful?

It's like saying to someone that is having trouble with MS Office to switch to OpenOffice. That and Linux is not everyone's flavour.

I like Linux but I most certainly wouldn't use it for my main OS, not because I don't know how to use it but simply because I don't like jumping through hoops to get a game to work.
Old 30th April, 2006, 11:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Hehe I know what you mean, but I'm just sick of when people trash windows as if it were a total piece of **** whenever they have the slightest hiccup. I've been running xp since it came out and my average uptime is between 2-3 weeks. It's like people who say they're gonna reboot because they're computer is acting weird or sluggish, so they think by rebooting it solves the problem. Which in fact is the exact opposite,. it's avoiding the problem. I'd be running After effects with over 10gigs of assets loaded into the compostition, as well as have 3dsm open once or twice, a copy of photoshop open with tons of assets loaded in that, and connected to livemeeting so I can collaborate with a friend on the video we're doing. but then he takes off for an hour, so I fire up battlefield 2 and start playing that for a while while everything else is still running. He gets back and im's me, knocking me out of the game (but still running), and i forget about the game, so my game is loaded up just sitting there eating away my resources, when i decide to load up my mp3's. Now i've gotta find out how to do a certain trick with an effect so I go surf the web and end up with 50 copies of explorer open (i hate tabbed browsing, its so lame), and I start downloading video tutorials. I have windows media player playing the tutorial i pause my music, and watch the tutorial. Then after all is said and done, i check my email, leaving outlook open most of the time with my 3400 mails sitting in there. Then i get tired so I load power dvd, pop in a movie ("Wag the Dog") and go pop some popcorn.

Now then, I can do all that with minimal lag, 0 lag swtiching between windows and such but like when i apply effects in AE you can tell it's working doubletime. Now what I dont understand is that if I were to close everything out by exiting the apps properly or just end tasking the process, it releases the memory and my system is speedy as hell, no need to reboot. What is it that causes people to reboot upon lag? I mean even after I do all that I can fire up another copy of after effects and it'll load in the same amount of time as if i just booted, or most of the time, faster.

Perhaps precaching, swapfiles, and memory management is beyond the understanding of the average computer user?

I'm not trying to be a dick or brag here and I realize I'm most likely going to get flamed by someone but understand this, I merely want to know the reasoning behind it, from a technical point of view. That's all.
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by membreya
How is that helpful?

It's like saying to someone that is having trouble with MS Office to switch to OpenOffice.
Heh I'd blame user error on the trouble which is the case 80% of the time.
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Old 30th April, 2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

hehe fair point xmetrix Didn't even realise that the dissing MS thing came from the title I tend to block those things out now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmetrix
nick burns from SNL
YOUR COMPANY COMPUTER GUY ...god he's funny! MOOOOOOOOOVE!
Old 30th April, 2006, 01:39 PM

Linux never has been and never will be an alternative. Sorry. My main gripe with Linux is whereas Windows at least warns you before undertaking complicated proceures, Linux doesn't. It's easy for someone to mess up their whole instllation without realising it.
It's too complicated, completely non-user-friendly and has a geeky image. It will never be a real alternative.
So this means you have to help people with Windows. We know Windows has it's problems, but most of them can be solved. I don't see this as a problem, but merely a gripe.

RM, do you have another Firewall? E.g Nvidia Nforce 4 Firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 30th April, 2006, 01:53 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Linux never has been and never will be an alternative. Sorry. My main gripe with Linux is whereas Windows at least warns you before undertaking complicated proceures, Linux doesn't. It's easy for someone to mess up their whole instllation without realising it.
It's too complicated, completely non-user-friendly and has a geeky image. It will never be a real alternative.
I agree that it is more complex, or at least, it can be, but distros like SuSE will hold your hand through the install and even in general use far more so than XP. If you want to be geeky you can compile everything yourself with Gentoo. There are milllions of different flavours out there.

Either way, the only real reason I don't use it all the time is because I can't just fire up a game in it, as most games are windows only, which is upsetting

Any how, back on topic, eh?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 30th April, 2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
I agree that it is more complex, or at least, it can be, but distros like SuSE will hold your hand through the install and even in general use far more so than XP. If you want to be geeky you can compile everything yourself with Gentoo. There are milllions of different flavours out there.

Either way, the only real reason I don't use it all the time is because I can't just fire up a game in it, as most games are windows only, which is upsetting

Any how, back on topic, eh?
Hold your hand? try opening a terminal, and typing rm -R /etc/* ..did this by accident when I was trying to delete one of the subdirectories..got lazy and used the history half way through typing the command

And we will get back on topic when RussianMissile1 decides to grace us with his company

oh and aghastpumpkin..do you know if the NV firewall is detected by windows security centre since it's a hardware level firewall?
Old 30th April, 2006, 02:13 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Hold your hand? try opening a terminal, and typing rm -R /etc/* ..did this by accident when I was trying to delete one of the subdirectories..got lazy and used the history half way through typing the command
in SuSE you can do everything through the GUI, ofcourse you can use the terminal if you want to, as well. And it's perfectly possible to delete all your files in windows, too

Apologies for the off topic, Russian Missile 1 :/

8 kByte S-RAM

Last edited by Favu; 30th April, 2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 30th April, 2006, 02:49 PM

Yes mebreya it is automatically detected! You use it just like a Software Firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 1st May, 2006, 03:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Hi RM, do you have installed another firewall (or antivirus with firewall capabilities)? because usually they disable the default firewall..
otherwise..search in the Group Policy Editor (run - gpedit.msc) everything related to the firewall.
Old 1st May, 2006, 06:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
try this:

del c:\windows\* /s

Old 1st May, 2006, 06:28 PM
AOA's resident barman

Heh
Attached Thumbnails
Winblows XP Firewall-oops.jpg  

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st May, 2006, 06:56 PM
AOA's resident barman

I can report that "del C:\WINNT\* /s" works though
Attached Thumbnails
Winblows XP Firewall-picture-145.jpg  

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st May, 2006, 08:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I was going to say, that had to be something that MS had recently done (as in, with WinXP). I know, because I've had to rebuild plenty of older systems that it worked on just fine.
Old 1st May, 2006, 08:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Yeah, I was going to say, that had to be something that MS had recently done (as in, with WinXP). I know, because I've had to rebuild plenty of older systems that it worked on just fine.
Edit: Oh, I see that you were doing that on a Win2k system; well of course it couldn't find c:\Windows, silly!
Old 1st May, 2006, 08:48 PM

back to the firewall topic: I would say Screw MS firewall and get zonealarm. it annoys the hell out of you for the first wekk after that it's fine.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 1st May, 2006, 09:05 PM
AOA's resident barman

Wasn't there a thread here a little while ago about Zonealarm spying on you?

8 kByte S-RAM