AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st May, 2006, 01:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to m101100 Send a message via AIM to m101100 Send a message via MSN to m101100 Send a message via Yahoo to m101100

Question Random Shutdowns Asus KN8

Hi All,

I would like to ask for some advice, i have been searching for any clues to what could be causing my system to shutdown.

System Spec

Asus K8N Skt 754 MB
AMD Sempron 2800+ Cpu
1 Gb Ram
160Gb Seagate SATA
80Gb Maxtor IDE
LG DVDRW
Asus N6600GT AGP
Generic 450W PSU (Now replaced with enermax 380W)
Highest Temp i have seen in Bios for CPU is 38C 69/70 for Videocard via rivatuner before all these problems.

At first i thought it was a power related problem as i know that the agp card etc sucks juice from the 12V, Went to shop asked if the enermax would be sufficent to run advised yes so bought it. Installed it and was still getting shutdowns, next stripped the system down to barebones and out of the case so this time it was the mobo, cpu&fan, 1 stick 512mb ram boots into the bios OK but still shuts down but takes a wee bit longer than before, added hdd will not boot into windows sometimes then shutdown, if i add any more devices then it will fail at power on or just after sometimes i will get a few min worth.

I have borrowed my parents PC and tried the Video, ram and PSU in there P4 system and works fine even added my 2 drives to there 3 works fine no shutdowns.

I have cleared the CMOS, Flashed the bios, reseated all items etc etc. I have narrowed it down to the CPU or MOBO i think but just thought i would ask for some assistance from you guys to see if i have missed anything out.

Thanks in advance
Mikey
Old 1st May, 2006, 02:55 PM
Steve Jobs

I would be saying motherboard definately. For the most part, CPUs are an all or nothing affair. If it has a problem, it doesn't work at all. Motherboards are far more variable.

Have a look at your motherboard, specifically over the FETs and capacitors around the CPU for surface damage / irregularity, and sniff the board all over to see if you can smell that burned component smell.

I would RMA the motherboard after that.

The Enermax PSU is a top quality piece, but if the 450W unit was generic variety (perhaps one of the Lada equivilant PSUs) then damage to the motherboard is possible.

You've absolutely done the right thing by testing everything on another machine, and using the Enermax as a swap in was a great idea (Keep the Enermax, its a good reliable unit, and an asset to a system like that).

If theres something obvious, then you know for sure, else just RMA the board. I'm very sure that the CPU isn't the problem.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st May, 2006, 03:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Burned components, that's a smell you'll never forget. Once upon a time I worked for a medical electronics outfit. For some reason I'd screw up the placement of the "legs" of a couple of discreet transistors sometimes. The smell from the burn-in rack was ugh-ly, and usually my fault. Whaddaya mean that I shouldn't have smoked an unmentionable substance on lunch break?
Old 1st May, 2006, 04:03 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, its a smell that you should learn to recognize early as well.

Also, when a very large polarised capacitor, (in backwards) starts buzzing, don't lean over the thing to try to smell burning... I made that error a couple of weeks ago building an amplifier, and when the cap blew its stack, I got boiling dielectric oil in my face. Profanity ensued.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st May, 2006, 04:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to m101100 Send a message via AIM to m101100 Send a message via MSN to m101100 Send a message via Yahoo to m101100

Cheers guys i was thinking mobo myself but just needed another opinion it has been driving me crazy and the missus as well LOL! as i would not give up on it. Back to PC shop tomorrow.

Thanks again guyz
Old 3rd May, 2006, 03:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Yea, its a smell that you should learn to recognize early as well.

Also, when a very large polarised capacitor, (in backwards) starts buzzing, don't lean over the thing to try to smell burning... I made that error a couple of weeks ago building an amplifier, and when the cap blew its stack, I got boiling dielectric oil in my face. Profanity ensued.

Ooh, bruddah. Boiling dielectric fluid? Count me out, please!
Old 8th May, 2006, 05:13 AM

yep Mobo seems likely. My experience also says CPUs are either working or not... not much in between.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2006, 05:21 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Burned components, that's a smell you'll never forget. Once upon a time I worked for a medical electronics outfit. For some reason I'd screw up the placement of the "legs" of a couple of discreet transistors sometimes. The smell from the burn-in rack was ugh-ly, and usually my fault. Whaddaya mean that I shouldn't have smoked an unmentionable substance on lunch break?
Man.. I love that smell.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th May, 2006, 12:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Run Memtest, Drive Fitness Test (DFT), Swap cables to your drives. What are the symptoms right before it crashes if any? etc. It's funny how everyone here seems to have flashed their bios. Am I the only one who believes flashing the bios to fix a problem that arose several months after stable computing has nothing to with the bios?
24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3