AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:18 AM
Poseidonf4

computer reboots when under load

Ever since i taped over some of the VID pins on my pIII 550 to increase the voltage to 2.4 volts, and oc's it to 650 mhz, it reboots for no reason sometimes when under high load, especially when I run AVS in Winamp. This is really annoying, and i am wonderin how I can fix this. It is not temperatures, since i am using water cooling, and trust me, my cpu is plenty cool. I am planning to upgrade to an amd XP or TBird soon enough, but until i have the cash, i am stuck w/ this clunker.
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:06 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My first guess is an overtaxed PSU.. What are you using? brand and model #, and do you know the specs?
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:18 AM
Poseidonf4

its a CODEGEN 300W model number is 200X1 ATX 2 2.03(P4)
i'm runnin a cdr/rw, dvd rom, 2 7200 rpm drives, 2 512 mb crucial pc-133 chips, nVIDIA GEForce 2 GTS/PRO, Realtek lan card, SB Live! Value sound, and 2 case fans, i dunno the size, both yanked out of old PSU's, one is the size that seems most popular for stock cases, as it screws perfectly into the premade spots for all of my cases, and the other one is larger, maybe 120 mm. If necessary, I can wire in another PSU, if that will allow me to plug my hard drives into it. If I do, i will use the attached schematic to do it. Please tell me if this is advisable, and any possible pitfalls to watch out for.
Attached Thumbnails
computer reboots when under load-connecting-2-power-supplies.gif  
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:27 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Given all that power hungry hardware, I can pretty confidently tell you 300w pro'ly aint gonna cut it, especially with a volt mod to your mobo. Unfortunately, rigging up 2 PSUs is outa my zone, but I know it can be done.

Hopefully, someone can step up and walk you through it.
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:30 AM
Poseidonf4

aight thanks... just to let you know, i'm creeping up on you in the folding@home standings, i'd say in another 10 years i'll catch up 2 you!
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Just check your 5v and 3.3v rails. If you want to hook up 2 psu, just do a 12v relay from the first psu, and make it connect the green wire and ground from the 2nd. The green wire shorted makes the psu turn on.

If you are lazy just stick a staple or a paper clip in the atx header ,of the 2nd psu, between the green wire and a black wire, and turn it on/off via the switch on the back of the psu.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2002, 05:15 AM

That sounds very much like the problem with my P3 450

Cooling is fine, as is the fsb and memory..yet under load it just restarts.

I think I might know why..but ill have to do some work to find out if im right.

On the board it says "CPU over voltage protection"

I recon somewhere in the voltage regulator there is a current limiter that im tripping through running the extra voltage.

The more I increase the voltage the worse the problem..even if I make sure the CPU is cold (sprayed canned air onto it)

It might be PSU.. ill pull my sparkle 400watt out to check that.

Ill also swap to my geforce3 as my G400 is a bit suspect...although the problem persists when the cards clocked down to 50% normall speed.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2002, 05:17 AM
Poseidonf4

uhhh, thats not a good idea when running a hard drive off the 2nd psu, cause it gets EXTREMELY pissed off... i should know... i almost killed a hd doing that once.
Old 10th March, 2002, 05:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Quote:
Originally posted by Poseidonf4
uhhh, thats not a good idea when running a hard drive off the 2nd psu, cause it gets EXTREMELY pissed off... i should know... i almost killed a hd doing that once.
Yes electricity is deadly, i killed a couple drives because of it. The 2nd psu shouldn't be pissed off, unless you are using an AT supply, and you aren't driving power fboth the 5v and 12v lines line.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 10th March, 2002, 05:38 AM
Poseidonf4

ahhh, i think i may have been using an AT PSU when i tried it, not sure though...
Old 10th March, 2002, 07:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Just want to remind you that a good PSU is important... My no-name PSU killed my mobo... Checked the voltages, and they were out of wack after mobo died.
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:41 PM
Poseidonf4

isn't codegen a good psu though?
Old 10th March, 2002, 11:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While a Codegen or two made it to AMD's approved for Athlon list of PS's, they are "dangerously" inexpensive, AFAIK.
Old 11th March, 2002, 02:16 AM
Poseidonf4

so then what brands are considered to be good psu's?
Old 11th March, 2002, 05:15 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A few people swear by are:
Sparkle
Antec
Channel Well Tech.
Enhance

Remember all PSUs are not equal, and even quality brands have duds in their line up. Enhance is a good example. They have 2 300W models I know of, one sucks, the other is very good for a 300W (ENH730).

BTW, the ENH730 and the CWT420 are both rebadged and sold as Antecs for a huge mark up.

IF you don't have a great deal of selection, look for a lot of power in the 3.3v & 5v rail. For AMDs especially, you need a min of 175W. This is probably the place most people run into problems. In your case, quality name will give reliable power... and given your parts, you need more in the 12v area to power all your drives. A safe bet would be get 400w from a quality name.

I just recently bought the CWT420, and not only is it excellent it is also very quiet.
Old 11th March, 2002, 05:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Perhaps the cache chips just arn't cutting it . . .

It has been my expirience that Intel P2s/P3s/Celerons will run on just about any old PSU. Mhz for Mhz they draw about half the current that AMD CPUs do, and as these old boards have but single phase power they don't tend to mind dirty power that much.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah