AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2006, 12:51 AM

Unable to power up computer

Hi All,

Got a little problem, I'm unable to get any power to a computer I put together from spare parts. Here's the configuration

AMD Opteron 150
Epox 9NDA3+
OCZ-600ADJ-SLI
EVGA GeForce 6800 GT
SoundBlaster Audigy
Corsair PC 2700 DDR C2
Coolermaster 101 Case
Sony DRU 500
Mitsumi Floppy

i was able to jump start the power supply so I don't think that's causing the problem. All of these parts were functioning before, except for the MotherBoard, which I inherited. Any Ideas?
Old 21st June, 2006, 01:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Removing all connections from the mainboard except to the case's front panel wires, then firing up the m'board with only 1 stick of RAM, the Vidcard and CPU on it comes to mind. If she posts, add one component at a time. Best of luck!
Old 21st June, 2006, 01:32 AM

Hi All,

No lights beep or anything. However, I'll take your suggestion & move components outside of the chassis & retest adding one component at a time.

Thanks for you reply.
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:28 AM

Hi All,

Removed components from Chassis however, still no joy. I've come to the conclusion that my MotherBoard has given up the ghost. I'll have to start the RMA process.
Old 21st June, 2006, 06:28 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

motherboard or ram. no post beeps? opteron 150 default 200mhz mem speed...bios may not pick up the slower speed of the ram. but them it should beep, you would think.
Old 21st June, 2006, 05:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Not to be a pain, but are all the Front Panel plugs in the right place?
Old 21st June, 2006, 08:18 PM

Hi All,

No, you're not being a pain. Yes, I checked all connections at least ten times, even walking away from this build for a day to clear my head.

I'm pretty confident that it's a dead MotherBoard.
Old 22nd June, 2006, 01:06 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Before RMA, clear CMOS.

If it was the memory or CPU, you should get some error beeping of some kind. Have you tried to jump the "on" pins on the mobo? It could be as simple as a bad on button.
Old 25th July, 2006, 02:23 AM

Hi All,

I contacted Tech Support, & after following their instructions comfirmed that the Motherboard was in fact dead. RMA'd it on I believe was the 5th or 6th of July. Recieved it today, placed it in my system & all is well. I am very happy with EPOX, they are TOPS in my book.
Old 25th July, 2006, 03:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

I don't understand it. It seems as though EPOX is the #1 rma'd motherboards. Why is that, do you people all just push them to the very limits of overclocking or are they just poorly built using crappy components? Like, could I buy an epox off the shelf and build a system for my gf and not have to worry about it again?
24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th July, 2006, 05:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

My "insider" tells me that 99% of all motherboards across all manufactures, are returned in perfect working order or damaged by the consumer. It is killing the bottom line for O/C ers on Motherboards!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th July, 2006, 03:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
My "insider" tells me that 99% of all motherboards across all manufactures, are returned in perfect working order or damaged by the consumer. It is killing the bottom line for O/C ers on Motherboards!
When I was handling tech support for our company, about 1/2 of all the computers and telephony cards that were RMA'd back to us were No Fault Found. And THOSE RMAs came from tech support guys who theoretically knew what they were doing.
Old 25th July, 2006, 03:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Has anyone said that computers are very complicated things lately? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th July, 2006, 03:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Has anyone said that computers are very complicated things lately? ":O}

I do think sometimes we take their complication for granted. We deal with them everyday. We change parts, upgrade, and tweak. Then for some unexplained reason it stops working.
Old 25th July, 2006, 08:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"I do think sometimes we take their complication for granted."

You'd stop doing that if I built your computers! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th July, 2006, 09:06 PM

You think a computers complicated?
This is why I love Aeroplanes. They are quite possibly the most complicated moving structures in man-made existene, consituting millions of parts.
Now, when you think that if just one of those parts went wrong it could be a disaster, I think a lot of you owe a lot more to Aeromanufacturers then you realise....[/Thread Hack]

As for your Pc, I would agree it is your motherboard especially if the motherboard does not light up.
Have you tested to see if your battery is flat? I expect it highly unlikely, but it is not unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 25th July, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 26th July, 2006, 01:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It could lead one to believe that mumbo-jumbo gets into the act at times. Unfortunately PC's are still complicated enough to mystify even experienced builders. Yay for AOA!
Old 26th July, 2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
It could lead one to believe that mumbo-jumbo gets into the act at times. Unfortunately PC's are still complicated enough to mystify even experienced builders. Yay for AOA!
Agreed, - but maybe sometimes we can all forget that its the people in front of the screen that are -really- complicated and infinitely more important - and even the Aeroplane doesn't compete on that level.

Last edited by JimF; 26th July, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 27th July, 2006, 10:24 PM

Hi All,

I may have spoken too soon as to my motherboard being repaired. I keep getting bluescreens & the board debugger keeps reading (FF). According to the manual that means either the bios chip is installed incorrectly, Add in cards not seated properly,Incorrect bios, or the motherboard itself is no good. Any Ideas?

Here are my system specs

AMD Opteron 150
Epox 9NDA3+
OCZ-600ADJ-SLI
EVGA GeForce 6800 GT
SoundBlaster Audigy
Corsair PC 2700 DDR C2
Coolermaster 101 Case
Sony DRU 500
Mitsumi Floppy

Thanks in advance for all help given
Old 28th July, 2006, 11:54 PM

Hi All,

Problem solved. It appears that my RAID array wasn't properly set up. A Hard Drive reformat & Windows Reinstallation has solved all of my problems