AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th July, 2006, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

laptop hd replaced

hi,

i have a dell inspiron 5100 that had a hitachi travelstar 40gig 4200rpm ata drive.

it crashed and i replaced it with a seagate 60gig 5400rpm drive. the only difference between the two is that the seagate is an ultra-ata drive whereas i don't know about the hitachi.

after installing it, the dell bios doesn't recognize the hard drive.

can someone please help me?

thanks.
32in + 24in LCD

Last edited by barneygumble742; 4th July, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2006, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

i figured it out...

even though its a laptop hard drive, the jumper configurations are still required.

i set the seagate to cable select and the laptop picked it up immediately.

what's strange is that at work we have about 500+ dell laptops and i'm so used to swapping drives where the jumper settings didn't matter.

barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2006, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Glad you were able to figure out what was going on, Barney!
Old 5th July, 2006, 01:31 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I thought you needed to order a Dell-erized CD-ROM with Win on it. Glad you figured it out for a lot less money!
Old 5th July, 2006, 10:06 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

That is the first laptop drive that I've heard of that needs jumpering! Normally the default with no jumpers is cable select - very strange.
Old 5th July, 2006, 05:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Glad you got it sorted out.

Did you notice a difference in performance with the faster spindle speed?

Got a friend that is about to replace a drive and is thinking of going to a faster drive.
Old 5th July, 2006, 09:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You can move to a 7200RPM drive if you want. However, they do tend to run a bit hotter, so they're not suitable for all laptops. Certainly I've noticed that the faster larger disks now available appear to give a speed boost, as long as the rest of the machine is up to it!
Old 5th July, 2006, 10:01 PM

the only drive i could find in an emergency was a 5400rpm drive. the performance increase is definitely noticable.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 5th July, 2006, 11:39 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I replaced a 4200RPM 30GB HDD in a 4 year old Dell laptop with a new 7200RPM 80GB HDD and did notice an improvement on load times on games. Have not had any heat related problems.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.