AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th July, 2006, 02:39 AM

can't boot xp install cd

i'm currently running:
AMD 64 3200+ Venice
EPOX EP-9NPA+ ULTRA
WD 160gb hdd
2x 512 corsair ram
radeon x1800xt
enermax liberty p/s(480watt?)

the problem is, and has been, since i set up this system, i tried booting to my old windows installation, it would quickly display loading windows and then restart...ok well i did change almost all the hardware, put in a 64bit cpu, and a completely different chipset(sis vs nf). i've come to terms with the fact that i need to reinstall windows completely....the problem is, i cannot boot a windows XP install cd from my cd drive.

i've changed the boot order to 1. cdrom 2. hdd

i insert the xp install cd, and it posts, then posts the table of hardware/irq, and gets the the point where it says "boot from cd:"

then it just hangs there, blinking cursor, the cd drive spins up slightly, but it doesn't go any further than that, there is no "press any key to boot from cd" text, and when i press a key, the system restarts.

now i've tried 3 different xp installation cds, including a sp2 slipstream...same problem.

even FURTHER, i've been trying to narrow it down since day one...i originally tried an ASUS A8N-E, with ANOTHER 3200+, and it had the same exact problem, i've tried three different working sticks of ram, i've tried three different working cd drives(dvd, cd-rw, dvd/cdrw), i've tried both channels, all combinations of jumper settings, three power supplies, two cpus, i updated the bios to the most current 4/2006. i tested my hard drive, my video card, i've built it out of case, i've used onboard power/reset, basically i have tried everything....ive replaced everything.

the xp cds do work perfectly in two other systems, and the drives i've tested boot in other systems.

the strange part is...i upgraded the bios from a cd that i burned the bios files onto....no problem there, i can boot linux install cds...with no problem at all....but i CANNOT for the life of me, boot up any XP install cd. i have no floppy drive.=== The following is an automatically generated message ===

This is sindlei's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please drop by the Welcome thread and give sindlei a warm AOA welcome there.

Last edited by sindlei; 19th July, 2006 at 02:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2006, 02:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Do you have the CD and HD on the same IDE channel? If so, try splitting them: put the HD on the Primary and the CD on the Secondary. Also, make sure the HD is the Master and the CD is the slave, as I've seen some screwy things in the past if you had them the other way 'round.

Also, have you tried booting the CD without the HD installed (obviously you won't be able to install the OS this way, but it would be interesting to know).

Do you have ACPI enabled or disabled in the BIOS? I had a DFI system here that I couldn't get to install until I disabled ACPI, IIRC.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2006, 03:10 AM

yes i've tried splitting, combining, master slave of every combination...same problem

tried just booting the cd drive without a hdd attached in anyway to the system...

i can't find an option for ACPI
Old 19th July, 2006, 03:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindlei
i can't find an option for ACPI
Hmmm..........that's odd. It should be there under PCI or Plug-n-Pray. Perhaps in Advanced Chipset or something like that. Maybe power management?
Old 19th July, 2006, 03:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just looked at the User's Manual, and you are right, it ain't there.

Try doing a CMOS reset. That's really about the only other thing I can think, and that doesn't really explain why two completely different boards do it.
Old 19th July, 2006, 04:32 AM
Member/Contributer

Well your computer has good taste, and its telling you something!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Windows!!!!

Have you tried changing either the CD drive or the IDE cable?
Also try putting your CD and HDD on different molex plugs, with nothing else on them - and remove anything not needed out of the system, sound card etc.

If your CD ROM or HDD isn't getting quite enough juice it will cause this problem. Also try putting a CD cleaner disc in the CD drive - do NOT use one that uses a cleaning fluid - just soft brushes. The spin up should be enough to clean the lense.

Also what type of discs are they? recovery discs or the windows hologramed discs?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 19th July, 2006, 01:47 PM

i've already tried resetting the cmos, the build right now is as barebone as can be, video card is only addon in it. i've tried different drives and two sets of ide cables. these are windows hologram discs. they boot up as they should in other computers using the same drives i've been trying to use in this system.
Old 19th July, 2006, 02:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Man, there has got to be something really obvious here that we are just going right by. Don't know what it is yet, but for this problem to still exist after two different mobos is just too weird.
Old 20th July, 2006, 01:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Whats the difference between the systems where it works, and the systems where it doesn't?
Just those 2 mobo's?

What BIOS are you using? The generic one from the manufaturer, or a specific one designed towards a certain type of OS? Not that it should make a difference, but being as that linux doesn't have a problem and windows does (have you tried a different version of windows if you have it?), it can't hurt to find out.

Can you flash the older BIOS back?

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 20th July, 2006, 03:10 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Worst comes to worse... you can goto www.bootdisk.com and boot via floppy.
HTH
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 20th July, 2006, 04:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Is it an authentic windows cd? or pirated version, or burnt copy?
24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Old 20th July, 2006, 04:35 AM
Member/Contributer

hologramed discs are authentic

sounds like he tried a burnt (sp2 slipstreamed) copy as well.
But these same copies are working in different machines.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H
Old 20th July, 2006, 07:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What a major PITA! Name brand floppy drives cost about $14, let us pray that makes a difference.
Old 22nd July, 2006, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to xmetrix Send a message via MSN to xmetrix Send a message via Yahoo to xmetrix

Not all hologram discs are authentic.
24" FP2405W LCD 1920x1200 1000:1
Microsoft Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1a 5 button black
Windows XP Pro sp1
IE7b3
Old 23rd July, 2006, 06:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Oh bally hell. Is there no end of perfidy in this world? At this point, buying a floppy drive, yes I know they are near useless nowadays, may be the answer.
Old 23rd July, 2006, 10:41 PM

All long shots but worth a try:

- check the CD drive is correctly setup by jumper (as primary or secondary and doesn't conflict with the HDD) - some boards are more tolerant than others
- check where the CD drive is on the cable, some boards are more picky than others and want the secondary drive on the middle connector
- check the (non-existant) floppy is not enabled in bios
- check there's no virus - eg http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q317321
- check there's no virus guard enabled in the BIOS (on your MB there shouldn't be)
Old 24th July, 2006, 01:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

I was under the impression that booting from a floppy disk then shoving in your XP disk didnt work because XP is a Win32 based program and doesn't run from a DOS prompt. Only from boot up and from within Windows itself.

Kind of dodgy, but if you've got windows 98. Floppy boot disc, install 98se, then put your install cd for XP in and select fresh install from the Windows based installer.

HTH

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 24th July, 2006, 02:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

All NT OSen have a floppy-based installer, as well as a windows one. With NT4, it was a three-floppy set. With 2K and XP it is a four-floppy set.

I think what you are referring to is booting from a DOS floppy, in which case you would be correct. That is part of the reason that the NT boot setup program allows you to repartition and format your drive right from within setup.

What many people don't know is that the NT-based OSen do NOT boot into Win32. The initial boot environment is the NT executive. It is possible to build a minimal command-line only NT system in this environment, and that is in fact exactly what the boot setup application and the Repair Console applications do. In fact, you can even buy an application from Winternals called ERD Commander which does exactly this. The rub to building applications that run in the NT Executive environment is that it isn't well documented; pretty much all applications for NT are written to run on the Win32 sub-system.

Last edited by Gizmo; 24th July, 2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 24th July, 2006, 02:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
All NT OSen have a floppy-based installer, as well as a windows one. With NT4, it was a three-floppy set. With 2K and XP it is a four-floppy set.

I think what you are referring to is booting from a DOS floppy, in which case you would be correct. That is part of the reason that the NT boot setup program allows you to repartition and format your drive right from within setup.

What many people don't know is that the NT-based OSen do NOT boot into Win32. The initial boot environment is the NT executive. It is possible to build a minimal command-line only NT system in this environment, and that is in fact exactly what the boot setup application and the Repair Console applications do. In fact, you can even buy an application from Winternals called ERD Commander which does exactly this. The rub to building applications that run in the NT Executive environment is that it isn't well documented; pretty much all applications for NT are written to run on the Win32 sub-system.
Yes you are correct. I'm currently using a Windows 98SE boot disk. I think I might get an NT based boot disk. You can burn boot disk's to CD cant you?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 24th July, 2006, 05:55 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes, you can, but why would you want to? Every NT CD is bootable already?