AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2006, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

DVD burner drive not loading properly

i've got a dvd drive in my main rig, it's not loading cds properly anymore, when it does finish loading, most of the files are not there, and the files that are there are either "bad" or are not the ones neccessisary for what i needed the cd for. Now i know it's not the discs for my collection wouldn't all go bad all at once. Can you guys help me?

Last edited by captaincurran; 30th July, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2006, 03:51 PM

When you load a cd, can you go to "my computer" and right click on the offending drive and open it to view the folders?
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2006, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

yeah, however i either don't see all the files that should be on the disk, and/or if i try to load the program on the disk it gives me an error.

Old 30th July, 2006, 07:14 PM

I had a Phillips 1640/BenQ drive fail like this - it was still fine on DVDs.
If it does still read DVDs IMO its either due for RMA or recycling - if not its worth a go with a lens cleaner.
Old 30th July, 2006, 10:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I agree. try a cleaner...Also might see if there is a firmware update. I have a DVD rom that stopped working everytime. The flash brought it back to life. Not really sure why...
Old 30th July, 2006, 10:35 PM

just finished a cleaning cd on it, one with a horrible lil audio tune on it... didn't work. just tried it. now i need to find the new firmware for it then.

Old 1st August, 2006, 12:12 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

One of my DVD drives failed like that, seems somewhat common. I just scrounged up a CD-RW drive and put it in to run CDs. Works for me.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 1st August, 2006, 01:27 AM

yeah, i've got my CDRW drive as well in it,however, my new 100 gig drive decided to corupt an apparently important file in my windows drive so i've gotta get it running again, thankfully i've got a couple live copies of Obuntu lying around till i get around to fixing the hdd. *scowls*