AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st August, 2006, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

corrupt or missing Hal.dll

Aoa'ers, countrymen, lend me your files. I was trying to boot my pc the other day and i got an error stopping from windows to boot, so i was wondering if you guys could give me a copy of the hal file that's corupt or missing. it should be in the Windows/system32 folder

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2006, 09:58 AM

I'd be a little nervous about posting parts of the windows OS and besides the hal comes in a number of flavours which get renamed to hal.dll to suite your machine:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

This site has a description of the problem and fixes, it could be as simple as looking in your C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder:

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

If you still want the file a number of sites seem to offer a download eg:
www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal
Old 3rd August, 2006, 01:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Very helpful suggestions, JimF. Thank you! Who was that doctor?
Old 3rd August, 2006, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

i've got a hal file downloaded, however i can't transfer it onto the hard drive or the floppy drive cuz i don't know how to "mount" (is that the proper term?) the drives in Ubuntu. So if someone could either do a walkthru for it or point me in the direction as to where to find a walkthru for it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:19 PM

Try and get a slackware based live cd like knoppix, mounting harddrives/floppydrives on slackware is as easy as right clicking on the desktop and selecting mount.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:20 PM

once i'm back in windows with Nero, i'll download and burn a copy. but for now, i'm trapped in a live version of Ubuntu.

Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:25 PM
Steve Jobs

Or rather than wasting ages upon ages of time, open a terminal, su to root, give one of these:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/WinXP
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/WinXP
Thats assuming that hda1 is your windows partition, and your file system is NTFS. It will mount the drive in the /mnt/WinXP folder.

If it doesn't work, and doesn't recognize the filesystem, concatonate your /proc/filesystems and see if you have ntfs in there somewhere. If you don't, install an ntfs kernel module, wash, rinse, and repeat.

By the way, for the most part linux mounts NTFS partitions as read only, since it has been known to, err, "root" NTFS partitions from time to time.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 3rd August, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:27 PM
Steve Jobs

Mind you, if you wanted to do it the /non/ stupid way, sticking the WinXP disk in, and selecting repair installation would do it all automatically in around 90 seconds.

But wasting time and risking your hard disk is far more interesting.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 3rd August, 2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:45 PM

well for some reason my WinXP disc isn't bootable. And my disk is a fat32 partition due to my tendency to install win98 first and upgrade install to xp. as for the terminal code i can't change to the root folder when i type in "SU" it asks for a password of which i've never established.

As for this repair feature would that work even in Linux?

Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:11 PM
Steve Jobs

The repair feature needs to be done off the WinXP CD. If you su to root on a LiveCD.

If you can't use root, prefix each of those lines with sudo.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd August, 2006, 09:10 PM

unfortunately, (which i do believe to be the fault of my format type) the second line of the linux terminal code doesn't work. so i went to my local library to download and save the dll file to a floppy disk (my actual boot disk to be precise) and lo and behold i'm still stuck with a linux enviroment, it's on all the library's computers. gah. *loosing mind* can't escape the linux.... so hopefully i can just copy and paste the dll onto the hdd in the right place at home after taking a couple of books out. wish me luck gents

Old 4th August, 2006, 07:05 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Consider yourself luck-wished!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th August, 2006, 07:08 PM

well, i downloaded the hall file and went to copy it into place, however i couldn't find my Windows folder. so i'm gonna reinstall windows. but i'm getting used to Linux so i'll probably just do a split partitions on a small HDD and do a dual boot Windows/Linux

Last edited by captaincurran; 4th August, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 5th August, 2006, 05:53 PM

had a similar problem. XP said one file called "system" wasn't found or is corrupted. at the end I figured out that XP created a new hidden directory and moved several files to this directory. all I had to do was to move them back.
but the file "system" was never moved or corrupted. I think this file needs some other files to work correctly and one of these were moved

do you have a floppy drive. I know that windows xp has some bootdisks for the setup
Old 7th August, 2006, 08:57 PM

seems as if my entire Windows folder and my docs folders are missing from my drive. and yet the size seems appropriate for everything to still be there.