AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:14 PM

YIKES! Artifacts all over the place

A few days ago I experienced some severe scrambling on my screen. My pc pretty much locked up for a few seconds then then the screen went blank, then came back on but everything was scrambled. You could basically make out the windows desktop etc but all text was scrambled and there was artifacts all over the screen. I thought, hmm probably the heat (it's been extremely hot in the UK lately, one of the biggest heatwaves we've had in a long while) so i put my 6800LE back to stock and remasked the vertex and pixel quads and turned the pc off to let it cool for 24 hours. Theres been no problems until now. I was playing rollercoaster tycoon 3 and all of a sudden the problems occurred again. exactly the same. This time i got photos of the screen to show you.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7...0024qh1.th.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1...0028uf1.th.jpg

What is this? Have i pushed my GPU too far? Reckon a hard disk format and windows reinstall will help?
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Does it look fine during reboot. When the VGA bios shows up on the screen?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd August, 2006, 05:57 PM

Yeah the vga bios shows up fine.

I've just removed the card and uninstalled the drives. I've got a pci geforce mx440 *blush* in atm. No problems as yet.

EDIT: In fact theres no problems in any of the POST screens. It's just when it gets into windows it's all scrambled like in the above pictures.
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah

Last edited by devilmyarse; 3rd August, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Looks to me like you've got some borked RAM on your video card. I'll bet if you switch Windows to 640x480 16 color VGA mode, it'll look fine.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

yep, bad ram.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:22 PM

So the cards broked then?

This pc is falling to bits now. First my hard drive conks out, just last week my dvd rewriters conked out, now my video card has conked out.

Time for a new pc then?
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:26 PM

maybe. sounds like your psu is slowly killing everything....
Old 3rd August, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hmmm I don't really want to upgrade before vista comes out. What would be my best plan of action? Get a decent cpu and mobo with pci-e, get a cheap but decent pci-e card for the time being then upgrade to directx10 complient cards later?
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2006, 07:21 PM

hard to say...what are your planned usages? personally, i'd be looking @ entry-level Conroe, DDR2, and a $60 vid card to tide me over.

With the system you have surrently, your upgrade will almost be a complete system...psu, mobo, ram, cpu, vid...big undertaking...
Old 3rd August, 2006, 07:31 PM

Yeah I know, thats the problem. There's no point staying on AGP. But to upgrade the entire system it's very expensive. Well i was addicted to oblivion and i like my fps, so it's got to be able to play the latest games. Right now i'm coding a lot, i'm working on my own game, so i'm ok with this geforce, i just can't play much games with it, only the older stuff like AOE II and i could possible play CIVIV with it.

What's the best middle of the range setup I could get without breaking the bank and without spending too much on a vid card as i will be upgrading the vid in january ish when vista comes out (if it even comes out then)
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2006, 08:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wish I could suggest a Vidcard solution. The fact is, I'm confused about game compatibility between ATi an Nvidia cards. Is OpenGL actually becoming extinct--or not? I wish ONE of them would be daid, at this point you need a Vidcard from each camp to be covered in the gaming universe. It's APITA I tells ya.