AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th August, 2006, 05:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

Found.000 Folders

I just had a problem with my HDD it lost my windows and my my documents folders and turned them into 3 folders; Found.001, Found.000, and Found.002. I was wondering if you guys knew how to return them to their previous states. I'd prefer not to have to recreate everything by hand since as a moron, i didn't back it up recently.

Last edited by captaincurran; 8th August, 2006 at 05:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2006, 05:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

What OS are you running?

It sounds like you are running a FAT file system, had a drive problem and did a DOS disk recovery of some kind, and now what you've got a mish-mash of recovered files on your drive.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th August, 2006, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

i had winXP on a fat partition and it did a scandisk scan last time before windows had disappeared. now i've got windows xp on a different hd on a ntfs partition.

Old 8th August, 2006, 02:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
i had winXP on a fat partition and it did a scandisk scan last time before windows had disappeared. now i've got windows xp on a different hd on a ntfs partition.
Good man. NTFS is much more robust than FAT.
Old 8th August, 2006, 02:53 PM

but is there a way to change the found files back to the originals or are they FUBAR?

Old 8th August, 2006, 03:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Eh, probably not, and definitely not easily. Basically what happened is chkdsk went out and found a bunch of orphaned clusters and turned them into files so that you could figure out what to do with the data. However, because the file system was FAT, it had no reliable way of figuring out what file those file clusters actually belonged to, so it tried to make a 'guess'. It has been my experience that, with a FAT file system, chkdsk usually guesses horridly wrong.

You may be able to recover some of your data with a hex editor and a LOT of patience.
Old 8th August, 2006, 03:12 PM

damn. oh well.

Old 8th August, 2006, 03:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You can try a program called UNdelete.... it might recover them. I'll have to link when I get a chance to fire up the laptop.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 8th August, 2006, 04:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I was thinking back up and format....Much cleaner....
Old 8th August, 2006, 05:04 PM

I just deleted the found files and then i'm formating the drive to NTFS now

Old 8th August, 2006, 06:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

NTFS works so much better. I was initially reticent to change from FAT, not anymore.