AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2006, 05:40 PM

glitches, artifacts and beeps Help please

Hi everyone,
been a member of AoA forums for ages but never had the need to post before.
I'm upgrading my PC by adding an EPoX EP-9HDAI PRO m/b, an Athlon 64 +3700 (san diego) and 2 x 1gb Samsung ram, all brand new.
The main problem I'm having is graphical glitches and artifacts as soon as I boot up, even in the bios and post screens.
I have an XFX GeForce 6800 128mb graphics card which has been working just fine in my old set up
Can anyone suggest any solutions or fault finding tricks regarding my graphics errors.

Also when I have both sticks of ram in I get beeps and no boot with a C1post code, the spec of the ram is as follows;
Two 1024MB (1GB) DIMM
PC3200 400Mhz DDR Memory (Backwards Compatible with PC2700 & PC2100)
Chip Configuration: 128x64
Chip Density: 128x4 (High Density)
Unbuffered, Non Ecc, Non Registered
Voltage: 2.5V CAS Latency: 3
184 Gold-Plated Pins, SPD Support
I realise that the ram may be faulty as it was faulty ram that kicked off this upgrade frenzy but can anyone say whether this ram should work or not.
Thanks in advance.
System:
Athlon 64 +3700
EP-9HDAI Pro
Samsung ram
XFX GeForce 6800 128mb
Soundblaster audigy 2
Tagan 480w PSU
Old 17th August, 2006, 08:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

AMD indicates that the Samsung P/N M368L2923CUN-CCC is the only 1 GiB memory module supported (it is organized as 64x8, not 128x4 as yours is).

However, I'm not convinced that your memory is your problem as the system RAM is not used for display purposes, particularly when you are in the BIOS screen. I'm more inclined to suspect the PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2006, 12:38 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you can get far enough into the boot process to wipe your HDD(or at least the partition that has the OS on it) and do a fresh installation of your operating system it'll help. A new mainboard means a new BIOS, your old OS installation will get confused over this.
Old 19th August, 2006, 09:33 AM

From my own experience an upgraded mainboard can get bios corruption when booted with an existing Windows setup so a CMOS reset would be advisable.

A repair install is worth a try - you lose updates but not any programme installations.

I think you may have a RAM compatibility issue on top of this so suggest you leave it at 1 stick until everything else is sorted out.
Old 19th August, 2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks for your replies.
The place I got the memory from says it isn't compatible (128x4), crucial's memory scanner says 128x4 is compatible.
I have identified that one stick is definitely faulty (it won't boot with only that but will with the other) Also after a bit of fiddling about the display is Ok, I can now run windows but I get a garbled screen when I try to run 3dmark.
I have a spare drive which I am now going to do a fresh install on, thanks for the tip about clearing the cmos, I'll do that aswell.