AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2006, 04:40 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

*Sigh* Windows XP, Corruption

Hey. Yeah, WinXP just up and died on my roomate's rig. It's giving the corruption error for /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM. Luckily, he's been using my computer for email and stuff, but he really needs his back up and running. I'm pretty sure there's some way to rebuild that file, seem to remember having to do this once before, a long time ago. If anyone knows how I can get it back. And no, there isn't a backup or anything of the system files. I just need to know how to rebuild it.

I'll do a little googling while I wait for replies.

EDIT: Here's the exact message it gives:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North

Last edited by Redroar; 18th August, 2006 at 04:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hmm. I've found a website that has some info on this. I will try it in the morning and post my results. For now, I must sleep.

This may be one CRASHED! topic that resolves itself.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2006, 08:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ain't that the way it ought'a be? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th August, 2006, 09:44 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is better known as a big chunk of the registry. (Actually, it's a registry hive, but don't let that put you off)

Microsoft's instructions for handling missing/corrupt registry hives can help you here, if there's a backup of the registry files. Otherwise, it might well be better to re-install.
Old 19th August, 2006, 09:39 PM

Well, it appeared that I had fixed it. Note my use of the past tense. It was working great after replacing it, except for after a few hours, he rebooted to finish off an installation, and again, \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM was corrupted. Anyways, I have it set up so hopefully we'll be able to back up anything important, then format it.
Old 19th August, 2006, 10:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I use to do re-formats for a living...no wait....that was instead of living...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th August, 2006, 01:10 AM

Managed to get it to the point where everything irreplaceable (or nearly so) is backed up. It should be formatted by tomorrow, but we are both feeling lazy.
Old 21st August, 2006, 12:05 AM

Ugh. Just reinstalled windows, and it's still f'ing up after a few hours. I'm just going to sell him my old athlon XP setup for cheap.