AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd August, 2006, 10:04 PM

Computer not booting unless I unplug power chord&try again

Specs: A64 X2 3800+; Epox 9NPA+Ultra, 4x512 Corsair C2PT rev 5.2(2X DC kits); X1800XL BBA; Surecom pci ethernet card; Samsung 80G sata2+WD 250G sata2+ Asus 1608P3S@Pio 111L+ some floppy; Speeze 500W PSU(2x20A for 12v); A4tech x708 usb mouse; A4tech ps2 mmedia kboard
Computer won't start again after I shut it down unless I cut the power to the motherboard somehow. When I try to start it without doing so, only the blue dimm(RAM) led on the motherboard lights-up, nothing else happens(the cpu&chipset leds stay off) .
All is back to normal when I unplug PSU 24pin cable from MB or unplug the computer from the wall plug.
-Had another CPU&MB(3200+veniceE6&Asus A8N SLI) work fine with the rest of the config.
-Unpluged 2 then all dimms
-moved the 24&the 4pin power cables in their sockets to ensure contact
-removed alimentation from the power-hungry X1800
-changed bios options to defaults
I'm out of ideeas here...HELP please, this is getting annoying!
And then there is the usb mouse issue...it stops working in some conditions(intensive cpu load is one of them) and won't start working again unless I reboot. Uninstalling the driver seems to fix something

Last edited by Andrei80; 23rd August, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd August, 2006, 10:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you got the latest BIOS updates?

The first thing I'd try is a CMOS clear (pull the battery, set the CMOS clear jumper, pull the power plug, wait 60 seconds and put everything back).

If that doesn't work, try flashing the latest BIOS (if you haven't already) and clear the CMOS again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2006, 05:06 AM
Steve Jobs

Gizmo, I think he's calling you fat and uptight dude.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 24th August, 2006, 06:09 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Salut Andrei !

Bine ai venit la AOA !

You may want to try another PSU before anything else ! You should take every extra parts out ! Let the rig with one hdd one optical and one stick of mem and see what happens. Then get back and tell us !

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 24th August, 2006, 01:04 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Don't mind Dsio he is from Australia
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 24th August, 2006, 03:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Hmmmm........must be someone who knows me then. I wonder who?
Old 24th August, 2006, 11:52 PM

Salut chris and thanx for the welcome and the replies everyone!
I used the latest bios, 18.04.2006.
Now I've gone back to he original one, 21.12.2005, I think and the problem is partially gone...meaning the power led on the case would turn on and the computer would start after about 5 secs(during the first 5 secs only the leds turn on, the coolers stay off)
The PSU is theoreticaly up to the job as it has 2x20Amps for the 12v rails(32A combined) and my sis only needs about 305 watts out of the 500w of the PSU(overclocked to 2400 @ stock vcore)
Any ideeas about the usb mouse freezing?
And how can I edit my signature to put my specs there?
Thanx
Old 25th August, 2006, 12:18 AM
Steve Jobs

What brand is the PSU?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 25th August, 2006, 01:40 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Once upon a time I bought two brand new shiny USB mice. If you're installing an OS from scratch these mice don't work until after the first normal reboot, if you're lucky. I find this unenthusiasm seditious. As long as PS/2 ports remain on m'boards I will use only PS/2 mice.
Old 25th August, 2006, 02:20 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

PS/2 is the way to go. Why not use them, frees up a USB slot for something else, and works under more conditions. I always use PS/2...though depending on the mobo, they sometimes have support from the get-go, I'd rather have a free USB port.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 25th August, 2006, 11:37 AM

The USB has better speed for fast gaming mice(like my own)
Plus, I have 10 USBs...so there is plenty left unused
The PSU is this one: techniz.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=306
Put www in front of link
In short, 2x20amps, >75% efficiency, 384w for 12v only + the rest to 500(520 peak) for the rest of the rails(3.3,5v etc)
Lifetime warranty
Pretty proud of it to

Last edited by Andrei80; 25th August, 2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 25th August, 2006, 03:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I've had this happen to me before as well. Turned out to be a bad power supply.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 26th August, 2006, 09:41 AM

On the mouse front it may be incompatibility with another device on the same (internal) hub or just too much on one hub - you can check this in Device Manager. Otherwise I've noticed that some mice just don't get on with certain OS/hardware combinations - especially those with their own drivers for 'special' functions.

For the power up problem - if the reset button brings up the machine I'd tend to suspect bios/OS issues (this is a clean install ?) if not I'd say its worth getting the PSU checked especially if its still under warranty.
Old 31st August, 2006, 01:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Any progress with this problem, Andrei80?
Old 31st August, 2006, 06:42 AM
Member/Contributer

Well I've never heard of that brand PSU - could be that, they also don't post relavent specs on their website, but on the review site it looks ok - max 32A on 12V rail though not 40A.

Could you maybe find the OEM of the PSU - or do they make them themselves. Check the rails with a DMM - check stability until you have a problem, If they fluctuate more then +/-0.6V change your PSU.

Try a couple of things;

First get hold of PS2 mouse and keyboard, and then check if you still have problems.

Then if you still do;

Make sure you haven't got the comp overclocked, then run Prime 95 and see if it errors / wont run. If it does run memtest and see what errors you get if any.

If memtest doesn't error, or complete, and prime 95 falls over replace you PSU with a known brand. Enermax is always good.

If you get lots of memtest errors and PSU is fine, its your RAM, otherwise could be CPU, chipset, or videocard.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 2nd September, 2006, 06:06 PM

Updated to the latest bios(dated august 06) and it's still fine, the issues are gone, as with the original bios.
Thanx, guys
Old 1st October, 2006, 09:58 AM

I was wrong, the issues aren't completly gone :|
I will probably reflash with the 2005 bios again
Old 1st October, 2006, 08:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Very best of luck!
Old 2nd October, 2006, 05:59 PM

thanx...back to the friggin original bios dec.2005 :O(
Old 9th October, 2006, 01:19 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Does the original BIOS continue to work well for you?