AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd October, 2001, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Oh crap! Help!!!!!!!!!

k, i know this was a VERY VERY VERY stupid idea- but- i had 4 20gig u-100 and i bought an 100gig ibm- i needed to ghost Windows2000pro onto the new drive and then copy all the stuff to the 100 from the 20's. So i figured... why dont i use symantic ghost 6.5 enterprize.............. Welll, it worked till about 80 percent and then give an error saying that an incosistancy between the drives has occured... ************@$!$#@!%$$!)#^ UGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Well, i rebot, pull the ghost and i get bsod!!!!!!!!!!! ******* MAN! DUDE!THIS SUX! luckly this only had all my saved games and word docs and such....................... But the drives corrupted- how do i get it back????? I reinstalled 2000pro on the 100gig, but i want the info on the corrupted 20!!!!!!!!

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to theflycore

It's difficult to tell what you mean really. But you might be able to access the drive with a dos boot diskette if your partition is fat 32. If it's ntfs you could try the util ntfs to dos.

Ghosting disk to disk shouldn't affect the original partition at all. After all it's just reading the data from the drive.

Try running scan disk and anyother disk checker programs you can thing of.

Where's the beer fridge?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2001, 03:52 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

I remember norton utilities having a disk analyser that'd do mainly the same
Old 6th October, 2001, 05:02 PM
Banned

I think part of the ghost image is that it detects the drive size and matches this to drive being ghosted. If they don't match, it halts. This prevents people from imaging an app loaded OS (like I have) and putting online for others to download.

This is also why you see corporations buy exact model workstations, so when they ghost the machines with their corporate image they don't run into this issue.

Therefore, you would not be able to use a 20GB drive image on your new 100GB drive.
Old 7th October, 2001, 04:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to theflycore

I donno about that.

I ghost drives at work all the time with a master image lets say for an 815 chipset loaded with windows and all the other progs needed for the hospital. Drive to drive, partition to drive. Different drive sizes. Whatever need be.

Drive size does seem to be bothered by the ghost i'm running. 6.1 corp

Where's the beer fridge?
Old 14th October, 2001, 01:44 PM
AOA Staff

V-com Copy Commander has a feature to expand the old partitions to fit the new drive size, Thats the only one I know of that does it. not sure if it works though???
Old 4th November, 2001, 07:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Y don't u try an easy technique that I use all the time, lol. Since you have 2000 loaded on the 100GB drive, y don't u just slave any other drives u wanna get info from and copy it over....I have never had a problem doin this even with corrupted drives....once or twice I wasn't able to get a few files from a corrupted drive, but they weren't important, so I didn't care....hope this helps ya, ttyl!!