AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2006, 01:05 AM

Artifacts - PNY VERTO 6800 GS

Short version:

I currently run a PNY VERTO 6800 GS with 256 megs of ram.

I'm getting artifacts in 2D and 3D at my default settings (no overclock, no unlocked pipes). 2D is periodic, whenever something on the screen changes (switch windows, drag window, typing) the lettering looks funny for a second. In 3D gaming (like Battlefield 2) the artifacts are not horrible at first but get progressively worse.

Currently back to default, no pipes unlocked, no overclock, with only non-essential devices powered.

Long Version:

Using a guide on this forum I unlocked my extra pipes and overclocked it a bit with Riva Tuner a bit, checked to ensure I had no artifacts and it ran fine.

Later I found another guide that showed how to flash the firmware (I made a backup). After a couple of times I managed to flash it properly and everything ran fine for months. As I recall I was doing about 65 load and 55 no load.

I have pets so I get alot of hair buildup in all my fans and whatnot. Maybe once a month I have to open my machine and blow it out, digging out pet hair from the fans and whatnot.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed I was getting some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Normally this tells me it's time to blow the fans out, and I did. This time it didn't fix it, but the temperatures went back to normal... boo...

I reflashed the bios to my backup and things were fine.

Well, a couple of weeks later I get the problem again.

I bought a new cooling unit for the GPU and installed it and my temps dropped by about 5 degrees. Didn't work

On a lark I reflashed it using the same bios and it started working again. However, at 6 hours of on time it started giving me artifacts. Reflashing would solve the problem for about 6 hours...

Today reflashing doesn't work

I'm getting artifacts in 2D and 3D at my default settings (no overclock, no unlocked pipes). 2D is periodic, whenever something on the screen changes (switch windows, drag window, typing) the lettering looks funny for a second. In 3D gaming (like Battlefield 2) the artifacts are not horrible at first but get progressively worse.

Currently back to backed up bios, no pipes unlocked, no overclock, with only non-essential devices powered.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Forgot - Tried reinstallation of drivers and reseating the card. I'm also on a fresh install of windows.... screen just went black for a second... *cries*

Last edited by TenaciousT; 9th September, 2006 at 01:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2006, 07:46 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

If you are positive the card is at stock speed with no unlocks then it sounds like the card has croaked, what did you update the BIOS with exactly?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2006, 11:30 AM

It doesn't matter if your on stock now - having unlocked those pipes and overclocked it for months as you say will have inevitably shortened the lfie span of the card, high temps or not.
Sounds spucked to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 9th September, 2006, 11:41 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

unlocking wont cause damage to the card, temperature, static damage and asteroids will though

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 9th September, 2006, 05:39 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Did you back up the old BIOS before flashing?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th September, 2006, 06:16 PM

I sure did back up the old BIOS while flashing. I'm positive it's back to the old bios based on the startup information it shows, I modified it in the new bios so I could quickly identify a change.

Thanks for all your input, I've had an interesting turn of events. This is a roundabout story but those of you that were helping me might find it interesting...

I don't know that my card is "fixed" but I got the artifacts to stop completely last night!

I continued searching for information about artifacts and somebody mentioned "reset the bios and see if that helps." That got me thinking... right around the time my problems started I had taken apart my gear to blow it out and when I put it back together I forgot to plug my main SATA drive back in and the machine did a boot off an IDE drive (if I do a reinstall I just buy a new drive and leave the old one around for 1 year to ensure I don't lose anything).

No big deal, I plug my sata drive back in, restart the machine, and it still boots to the IDE! What happened is the machine reset the switch in the bios that told the computer to boot the SATA drive first.

I had forgotten about that switch and I was worried I screwed something up so I did a knee jerk reaction and reset the bios. The default is to boot to IDE so it had me chasing my tail for about 10 minutes (I'm so ashamed!)

Anyway, I fixed that problem but I don't think I returned my PC bios to normal. I suspect that I left my onboard sound on and that caused an interference with my Soundblaster Audigy which in turn started screwing up the card somehow...

How did I come up with this crack theory based on seamingly non-related items?

Last night everything went to crap. All of a sudden the machine started losing drivers. Stuff that was installed and working started showing as uninstalled in the computer management console but it would still halfway work, the number of artifacts was jumping through the roof, dogs and cats were living together...

The most consistant issues were the artifacts and the soundcard. I gave up on the artifacts and fixed the soundcard (rememebering that bios post). As soon as I disabled my onboard sound the soundcard drivers fixed themselves and the artifacts vanished.

How did reflashing the videocard bios temporarily fix this problem? I have no idea.

Will this stay fixed? I sure as hell hope so.

Will I overclock my videocard again? Probably after 30 days of no artifacts (I'm a glutton for punishment)

Will the wife let me buy a new machine if I break this one? Probably not...

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 9th September, 2006, 06:19 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Glad it's fixed mate.

Hardware failures suck..

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th September, 2006, 06:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

That's quite a saga, thanks for posting it!
Old 9th September, 2006, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Close call dude! Glad it back!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th September, 2006, 06:25 AM

The artifacts are back.

I didn't do anything. I didn't install anything. I just used it like normal.

I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and hopefully make it unbroke.

*sigh*
Old 18th September, 2006, 11:31 AM

Tenacious - I feel for you.
Any chance of an RMA guys? OR has overclocking it voided this?

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 18th September, 2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Tenacious - I feel for you.
Any chance of an RMA guys? OR has overclocking it voided this?
Would they be able to tell I've overclocked it?

I suspect that I've voided my warranty with the aftermarket cooler and the bios mod.

The frustrating part is how conservative I was with the overclock. I was careful to keep it in the recommended safe areas.

I'm wondering if I zapped it with a static shock when I was cleaning it one of those times.
Old 18th September, 2006, 04:04 PM

I would think it's voided.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 18th September, 2006, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, they had him at "I unlocked my pipes" but the simple act of O/Cing voids all warranties. As to weather they can tell, I have no idea, but I imagine they can if they take the time to look, which they may or may not....depending on how bad they think returns are hurting them. lately they've been hurt a lot...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th September, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 19th September, 2006, 12:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

did you push your voltage up..?
The 6800's are a little sensitive to high voltage...the result is artifacts and other video weirdness....
Old 20th September, 2006, 05:30 PM

I briefly considered fiddling with the voltage but I opted out.

I think at this point the card is pretty much dead, the artifacts in 2D are getting worse and nothing makes it better.

I chalk this up to a lesson learned and I'll cough up the cash for a new card... that I can overclock

For what it's worth this overclocking experience didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth and I appreciate all the comments. Unusually for the internet, and especially for a forum, they were all constructive and that means a lot.

I'm stuck on AGP until further notice, any recommendations? Budget is < $200