AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th September, 2006, 12:30 PM
Steve Jobs

disabling thinkpad PS2 port

I have a thinkpad I series laptop here, with a PS2 port that has been ripped out of the back of the laptop. The bare metal pins from the inside of the port are left behind, sort of set into the laptop, and are touching eachother.

In BIOS, I can use the laptop's keyboard perfectly. When I boot into windows however the laptops keyboard does not function at all, and windows detects a 102 key / natural keyboard.

I'm assuming the laptop is thinking theres a keyboard connected due to to those pins shorting together, but how do I disable that PS2 port?

There is no option in BIOS to do it, so I think it needs to be done somehow at a windows level.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2006, 12:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

My understanding is that the laptop's I/O chip does some funky stuff to merge together the inputs. It's done at a hardware level, so that Windows just sees a single keyboard. The "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" just means that Windows is seeing a standard keyboard controller.
Old 12th September, 2006, 12:53 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
My understanding is that the laptop's I/O chip does some funky stuff to merge together the inputs. It's done at a hardware level, so that Windows just sees a single keyboard. The "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" just means that Windows is seeing a standard keyboard controller.
Yea, but if thats the case then why is it when I boot into windows the laptops keyboard is completely dead, no capslock or fn keys even, while in BIOS, and even the windows safe mode menu its fine.

(windows 2000)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2006, 07:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I guess that these pins can't be separated mechanically?
Old 13th September, 2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Yea, but if thats the case then why is it when I boot into windows the laptops keyboard is completely dead, no capslock or fn keys even, while in BIOS, and even the windows safe mode menu its fine.
At a guess, it's the difference between using BIOS routines and using Windows' own driver. As cloasters points out, what happens if you seperate the pins on the remains of the connector?
Old 13th September, 2006, 11:22 AM
Steve Jobs

I pulled all of the bare pins out of the socket with a pair of pliers, and they all came cleanly out of the motherboard, with legs intact. Still wouldn't work, I used a USB keyboard and that did the trick though, so it will have to use that from now on.

Gizmo suggested the super i/o chip may have been rooted when the pins were rubbing eachother, which seams to have some merit at this point.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th September, 2006, 11:54 AM

That might be true, but still wouldn't explain why it works in the BIOS. I suspect it's something about the Windows driver. You could try installing the IBM utilities and see if you can set the way it responds in there. No promises that it will help though.
Old 13th September, 2006, 12:07 PM
Steve Jobs

This laptop predates IBM's unified utilities, there are only individual drivers for various things, and the only one even close was the driver for the 4 extra buttons (mail, calculator, my computer, IE) and I tried that but they didnt work either.

Gizmo's explanation for this was that perhaps the keyboard functioned in a failsafe hardware mode before the drivers were loaded.

Running a linux live CD, LILO had keyboard support, yet as soon as the graphical language selection came up, the keyboard didn't function, and this is on both Ubuntu live, and Auditor/Backtrack, so its not limited to the windows driver.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th September, 2006, 03:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My suspicion is that the PS2 port on the back of the computer and internal Keyboard interface are in fact separate in the hardware. The PS2 port almost certainly comes through the Super I/O chip. Because of something borked in the hardware, the PS2 data line is being read as low, indicating the presence of a keyboard on the port.

The BIOS services provide both the internal keyboard and PS2 input as keyboard input to the internal buffer, and so the internal keyboard is usable as long as the application calls the basic BIOS interfaces. I suspect, though, that the BIOS configures some internal hardware to pass either the PS2 OR the internal keyboard data as PS2 data to anything that is reading the i8052 keyboard interface controller. Since the hardware thinks that there is something attached to the PS2 keyboard port, it passes the data from that port and disables the internal keyboard for applications that directly access the i8052 interface. This results in pretty much every PS2 driver in the world, on any OS, reading from the dead keyboard port.

However, this is all guesswork. I could be completely wet.
Old 13th September, 2006, 07:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dsio, what are you doing with a ancient piece of junk like that! Can I have it when you retire? I should be able to pay you something down by then!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th September, 2006, 01:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Force to make things work is strong in him!