AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March, 2002, 10:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Can't see with new video card

Ok.. I rushed and didn't follow instructions.

I had to put the old video card back in.. At present, the new GF2Ti, won't work in XP. It looks fine up to the splash screen, but goes blank and I hear the start up music for XP. I've tried safe mode, but it seems to lock up, screen won't refresh. There's 20gigs of data on this HDD so I don't want to reformat and start over. Any ideas?
Old 16th March, 2002, 10:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

I don't know if you did this already, but I would go into Device Manager, select your old video card, Remove it, when it asks you to restart press no. Shut down, put the GF in, and boot. Let it completely detect the card and stuff...

Also, maybe some BIOS setting is set wrong for the new vid card...
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!

Last edited by Super; 16th March, 2002 at 10:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2002, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Super
I don't know if you did this already, but I would go into Device Manager, select your old video card, Remove it, when it asks you to restart press no. Shut down, put the GF in, and boot. Let it completely detect the card and stuff...

Also, maybe some BIOS setting is set wrong for the new vid card...
Tried that.. same problem.
ECS board is pretty bare bones for BIOS settings. Tried it at 1x & 4x AGP. same results.
Old 17th March, 2002, 02:53 AM

Re: Can't see with new video card

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Ok.. I rushed and didn't follow instructions.
What the h$ll are intructions

Sorry SteveI, it's the weekend & I am board so I just had 2 :clown: :clown:
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2002, 03:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Can you try it in another machine, you may have a dud card?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th March, 2002, 03:56 AM
Banned

Steve, have you tried uninstalling the old card, shutting down, replace with the new one, then boot into safe mode, then restart?

There's also an ESCD (I think that's what it's called) setting in most Award bios that forces an update with windows upon bootup of new hardware.
Old 17th March, 2002, 04:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Well, the card isn't bad (i don't think). It looks fine until it goes into windows. I gave up trying... I had to replace the HDD too. I was planning on ghosting the drive over, but I decided to format instead.. Kinda annoying that XP will not allow FAT32 over 30gigs. It forces NTFS. (If anyone knows how to force FAT32 on big HDDs, please let me know for future reference.)

Anyway, I gave up on it tonight, I installed XP on it and the display seems to be working fine. I have to install all the dang apps and updates for this machine too. You should see this mess. I had 4 cases in pieces and boxes and parts of 3 machines all over. And the room is only 10x10. Then I only have 2 machines to go. They'll be folding again, but not tonight.
Old 17th March, 2002, 04:20 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Steve, have you tried uninstalling the old card, shutting down, replace with the new one, then boot into safe mode, then restart?

There's also an ESCD (I think that's what it's called) setting in most Award bios that forces an update with windows upon bootup of new hardware.
Tried every combination of uninstall/reinstall of HW and SW that I could think of. Apparently, windows stuck a setting somewhere I can't get at, and is sticking it's tongue at me everytime I boot with the new card in. Anyway, since I started from scratch w/ the new HDD, and new install of winXP, it seems ok.. I'll install all the sw andstuff tomorrow... Then I'll try clocking the card.
Old 18th March, 2002, 04:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Call tech support ?
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 18th March, 2002, 04:36 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
Call tech support ?
I don't even bother any more... The folks on the other end are usually a lot less knowledgable than the folks here.
Old 18th March, 2002, 05:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

I don't even bother any more... The folks on the other end are usually a lot less knowledgable than the folks here.
I resemble that remark

But if you called me at work I'd ask why you called, how you got the number, and promptly return you to a dial tone :-D
Old 18th March, 2002, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Ain't that the truth!!
Old 18th March, 2002, 05:40 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

I resemble that remark

But if you called me at work I'd ask why you called, how you got the number, and promptly return you to a dial tone :-D
He he he, I see a prank call coming! (j/k)

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th March, 2002, 01:09 PM

Just a guess but does it happen to have TV out?

If it has (And I'm almost willing to put money on it) then windows is being clever and setting TV out for you, how kind

Had this several times, it works till it sorts itself out with the display modes and then sets TV out...

If you re-install windows then it migt get it right first time, unclean installs of the grfx card tend to muck up, depending on the previous card...

To fix, plug a TV in and set the settings back to normal.....

Z.
4x40Gig Raid0
Juno P6 (Soon to be custom built - Ok not so soon.)