AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th October, 2006, 07:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Grrr....whats died?

Here's the setup

MSI NEO2 Platinum, AMD 3500+, 512MB RAM, 2x WD Caviar SATA drives in RAID0, 2 x Ide HDD, 1 x SATA HDD.

Powered up the other night and had a few issues getting into Windows. After a few attempts and a system restore the PC was stable again BUT all the other discs have vanished! Even in the BIOS, only the SATA discs are seen.

Any ideas?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th October, 2006, 11:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Are both IDE drives on the same IDE interface?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2006, 10:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Some more weiredness now, the RAID array is working again and the PC works ok. BUT, it does not see the 160GB SATA drive, just the 80GB Maxtor IDE drive and the DVD-RW.

I thought it was a problem with the disc so I took it out and connected it to another machine and it shows up and all my data is on there. Put it back in the MSI board and its not seen in the BIOS but it is recognised by the nVidia NVRAID program that shows it is as Secondary Master but as a Free Disc? See pic below. Any ideas?? Has nVRAID used it in the Stripe? The PC works without it connected too!.
Attached Thumbnails
Grrr....whats died?-nvraid.jpg  

AOA Team fah
Old 29th October, 2006, 11:15 AM

There should be an option in bios under 'integrated peripherals' to disable RAID on the SATA controller that the stand-alone drive is on - has this got changed or could it just be a cable mix-up ?

I'm wonder if you could have PSU issues with 5 drives all starting up at once (or attempting to) which would explain the weirdness.

Fortunately it ahsn't been included in the stripe - that would almost certainly obliterate any data on the drive.

Last edited by JimF; 29th October, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 29th October, 2006, 06:59 PM

Post How to be insured

I wantto insure allhas seen a site
who knows
Old 30th October, 2006, 05:39 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Spamalert!

*Does the SPAM DANCE!!*

SPAM DANCE!!!!

It's like the Welcome Dance, except for spam.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 30th October, 2006, 01:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroar
Spamalert!

*Does the SPAM DANCE!!*

SPAM DANCE!!!!

It's like the Welcome Dance, except for spam.
Does it ward off evil spammers?
Old 30th October, 2006, 06:44 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
Does it ward off evil spammers?
It tries, it tries. But those evil spammers are just so tenacious!

Anyway, what was up with that post? No links, nothing of any spam value. Just random gibberish.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 30th October, 2006, 06:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

spamless spam I guess....
Old 31st October, 2006, 12:59 AM
Member/Contributer

JimF, you got it. I checked the BIOS settings again and sure enought they were all set to SATA RAID. Disabled the two that are not used for RAID and the drive has been picked up again!

Thanks dude!

AOA Team fah

« oops! | Stop Error »